Cabins Accessible by Bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Sep 2014

Cabins Accessible by Bike

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a backcountry cabin with a rideable trail in (5-10 miles long) preferably on a lake or river somewhere south of Anchorage. I found some information here: Chugach National Forest - Camping & Cabins:Cabin Rentals but the site doesn't give the best descriptions.

I was hoping I could get some information from folks who have visited some of these sites. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks!!
    Jenna

sluice box
    Also State Park cabins.

Alaska State Parks Public Use Cabins

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a backcountry cabin with a rideable trail in (5-10 miles long) preferably on a lake or river somewhere south of Anchorage. I found some information here: Chugach National Forest - Camping & Cabins:Cabin Rentals but the site doesn't give the best descriptions.

I was hoping I could get some information from folks who have visited some of these sites. Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

So on the USFS link you posted don't look at the Cordova(Copper River Cabins) and skip the PWS cabins and on the Eastern Kenai list all are good (not all 5-10 miles some are more) but Crescent Saddle Cabin, West SwanLake (better with a plane) and Crow Pass (steep from the Girdwood side and no bikes from the ER side). You may get crow pass on a bike not sure how good of arider you are.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jwamz View Post
    Hi everyone,

Thanks!!
    Jenna
    There's a cabin at Trout Lake on the Resurrection Pass trail. It's about 7 miles from the Cooper Landing trailhead, and up a steady but not brutal climb. It's one of the CNF cabins:

Chugach National Forest - Trout Lake Cabin

There are other cabins in the "Eastern Kenai" section of that site that should fit the bill, and often say whether they're accessible by mountain bike.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Also, getting to Juneau Lake is pretty easy, that same climb is basically done at the top and it's flat to Juneau Lake if a couple miles longer.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-opski View Post
    Also State Park cabins.

Alaska State Parks Public Use Cabins

So on the USFS link you posted don't look at the Cordova(Copper River Cabins) and skip the PWS cabins and on the Eastern Kenai list all are good (not all 5-10 miles some are more) but Crescent Saddle Cabin, West SwanLake (better with a plane) and Crow Pass (steep from the Girdwood side and no bikes from the ER side). You may get crow pass on a bike not sure how good of arider you are.
    Pretty sure bikes are not allowed beyond the trailhead to Crow Pass. Not saying it can't or hasn't been done, just that from what I understand, doing so is risking fine and possible bike confiscation.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Pretty sure bikes are not allowed beyond the trailhead to Crow Pass. Not saying it can't or hasn't been done, just that from what I understand, doing so is risking fine and possible bike confiscation.
    After all these years living in glacier valley this is the first I've heard of that. I know bikes are prohibited on the eagle river side through the nature center property (posted signs). The USFS employees building the new cabin that lived up Crow Creek Road biked to the work site every day a few years ago. Like I said Crow Pass may not be for everyone (steep and lots of day hikers with fanny packs).

Please post a link to a Forest Order that prohibits bikes and gives USFS right to fine and confiscate your bike on that trail.

is buachail foighneach me
    I was going by what i had always heard, but after some searching, i can't find anything?

Bikes are good
    Crow pass is legal by bike from girdwood to the pass. There is actually a no biking sign way the hell up there as you head down into the valley. It would be crap riding for a lot of that trip from that point anyway.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    both Russian lakes by cooper landing also. fond memories of all the cabins on the resurrection trail system.