Built it, and they will come... Calling ALL DJ/FreeRide/DownHill/Shore riders...- Mtbr.com
    ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?

We the people ... Built it, and they will come... Calling ALL DJ/FreeRide/DownHill/Shore riders...

It's kinda funny... Even the great North Shore has had it's share of problems in the pass... It was totally illegal for the longest time.
    The North Shore Mountain Bike Association (NSMBA) began in the winter of 1997 in response to trail sabotage on mountain bike-specific trails.
    I say it's time to get ourselfs organized. I hear people ALL the time say they want to build dirt jumps, ladder bridges, drops, etc... Unfortunately, a PERMIT is required for ANY trail modifications, etc...
    If your thinking of illegal trailbuilding, THINK again...
    Here's a really good story that was in the September 04′ Issue of BIKE Magazine

Just click on the below link...
    Illegal Trailbuilding and Why It’s Wrong

This is from the bottom of this story...

"We are extremely fortunate to have received a pretrial diversion, which allows us to make retribution to the US Forest Service and alleviate any further prosecution. This only happened because we were the first to commit this crime, and the government felt that we can make this a positive learning experience for us and for other public land users. In the future, now that this is a known ordeal, offenders caught building illegal trails and doing un-permitted trail maintenance may receive the prosecution we were threatened with, which includes but is not limitted to:

for each offense, 6 months imprisonment, $5000 fine, banishment from all National Forest property for 2-7 years. These are estimates only, it can be much worse. In Marin County, California, 3 men were sentenced to a year in prison and $50,000 in fines. If you’re not sure, DON’T DO IT!!!"

So, if everyone agrees with me. We need a time/date/and place to meet, and get ourselfs organized... Then we can present this to STA, and go threw the proper channels.
    So post here or PM me, and lets get this going!!!

aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

mtbr member
    STA would be happy to help you with information on how to navigate the Municipal park system to bring forward a viable project. It takes a lot of time and staying power, so the process is not for the light-hearted. If you're going to jump, you've got to go big, and you've got to commit, right?

Wishing you luck getting organized--it's about time that someone shakes things loose to advocate for freeriding.

We the people ... Thank You.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.
    I know STA has had a LONG and hard road to get to where it is today. It didn't happen over night...
    There's just too much being illegally built that is very unsafe now days, and it puts other riders in danger as well...
    We'll see how many people are READY serious about this...

Apr 2008
    count Me in Anything I can do to help. Have alot of experience building stunts and features Licenced ,bonded ,and insured I live in soldotna but am willing to travel AK Gravity. Dwayne

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I'm in and i work in beaucracy for a living so i'm used to the muni red tape. how to start?

Bikes are good

Yep dude...

I'll dig, shovel, and carry lumber. I'll sit in a meeting or two as well.

Good job! Tanaka run @ Mt. Alyeska...

For you not familiar with Tanaka run @ Mt. Alyeska, this is it... This is what I keep hearing that is suppose to reopen this July 2008. Warren from D2 Downhill Division has been working with the Mt. Alyeska mountain manager trying to get it reopened... I took the family out there to check it out. We just got back from Girdwood about 30 mins ago... The snow on the right is whats left over from some SB jumps...

Last edited by brian_404; 06-17-2008 at 10:34 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I just spent last week riding at whistler loving it as always, wishing we had SOMETHING in alaska that resembled technical single track, shore trails, or downhill steeps. I talked to a number of riders from all over the US that had heard Alyeska is planning on opening up this summer, granted many had more misinformation than we have here, but i was amazed so many people knew about the opening when those of us here can't seem to get the info.

Has anybody heard anything lately? When's the soft opening for this summer? August 1? Are they allowing bikes on the lift now? Can we hike a bike now on the trails?

May 2008
    Last I heard they may have some stuff open for a couple weeks in August. I have a friend that's on the building crew, I'll see if he knows anything more.

Members who have read this thread: 0