building a snow bike- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

building a snow bike

OK so I want to build a snow bike. (first suspenders, now a snowbike, next a moped?)
    I think I would like to use a 150 rear hub. 100mm rim with endo. It seems my options for BB are 100mm or 73 (using Phil Wood BB). I think I am leaning to the 100mm BB

I guess my question is, from anyones experience is this a combo that will work? Does the 100mm isis and 150mm hub give me clearance for the tire rim combo? If I have to lose a rear cog so be it. Also the big ring will probably go.

I like the thought of hammerschmidt gearing but only available in 83mm bb. I am still in the early stages of planning so I have no chainstay length inming just want to know what's possible. I'm not stoked on the offset thing, and 165 hubs seem hard to find in canada (canadian vendors don't want to stock them)

Any and all experience/thoughts/knowledge welcome.

Craig

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Go with a 160mm hub at least. Chris King makes one for sure. You may still have to lose a cog, especially if you go with 80 or 100mm rims. I just went with a 13-34 7spd cassette on my build. 100mm BB for sure.

mtbr member
    Are you building the bike personally or having it built?
    If you or the builder are using a CAD program, you should be able to draw it up and be certain, but if you went with the hammerschmidt/ 83bb I would guess it would work with the 150 and the 100mm rim.
    160 would definitely work with the hammerschmidt/ 83bb, but probably not running a granny ring if you went with a different crank.
    With a 100 mm shell and 160 you might clear the 100mm rim in the granny if you drop about 2-3 cogs which is sort of a pain with most common mountain cassettes.

The hammerschmidt looks like a cool set up. If you do that, why not just go with a 160.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    you might find some info here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=448066

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=471444

Somehow clearance issues seam to be lees of a problem in real life than in CAD

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I would like to build the bike meeself. thanks for the links there's a lot of info in here. It sounds like the 100's are a pipe dream with 150 hub and 100mm BB. Sadly I have no cad program hence the questions but from the look of it drawings almost create more questions than they answer.

Craig

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    So after studying some of the other posts carefully it looks like I can only get en Endo on an 80mm rim with a 150 rear hub and 100mm BB. The 100mm rim appears to be gettin too greedy. Can anyone confirm this? If all else "fails" a LM will still be no problem at all.

Craig

Members who have read this thread: 0