Bugs on the Kenai- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bugs on the Kenai

Hey all,

Need some advice. Coming up to your fine state this weekend to do a little riding on the Kenai Penninsula. Debating packing a tent or just a tarp. I prefer the tarp, but was not sure of the bug situation this time of year in this locale. Camping near Summit Lake Lodge. I'm very tolerant of a few bugs, but a swarm makes for less than ideal sleeping.

Thanks!

Ologist
    I don't think they will be bad (i thought it was a pretty lean year for bugs) but the no see-ums can get you pretty good. The bugs don't bother me at this time of the year - almost non-existent. It can also be rainy this time of year though; but make sure you are comfortable sleeping under a tarp in bear country. For some it can be a pretty restless sleep

mtbr member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    I don't think they will be bad (i thought it was a pretty lean year for bugs) but the no see-ums can get you pretty good. The bugs don't bother me at this time of the year - almost non-existent. It can also be rainy this time of year though; but make sure you are comfortable sleeping under a tarp in bear country. For some it can be a pretty restless sleep
    If you are worried about bears what difference is a tarp vs. a tent? If that bear wants in, you are in trouble either way. Perhaps a tarp is better as you have more access for an attempted escape....
    Save the Trails: http://www.imba.com

May 2007

Bugs

With the cooler mornings I'm starting to see a ton of white socks in the woods....as for bears tarp/tent doesn't really matter. Have a great ride

Ologist
    A tent provides a visible barrier between the bear and you. Primarily it is for your piece of mind (false sense of security?). Ever had a bear walk around your camp when you are in your tent? It is a lot different when they bear is walking around your camp and you wake up face to face or it is sniffing you and your sleeping bag like a burrito.

Aside from any predatory bears tearing into your tent, some studies support that a barrier such as a tent discourage bear/human interactions. Not sure if it baffles the bear, eliminates visualization, or hampers smells but it would certainly give you a lot more time to react strategically like chambering a round or making noise to scare it off. A face to face interaction is completely different in so many respects.

Good point though, the tarp would give you an opportunity for escape - as long as you don't elicit the chase response.
    Last edited by Valhalla; 08-30-2007 at 10:00 AM.

Dec 2006
    When I was out there it seemed to be bugless until morning when I scarred them off with a torch (thanks noone was watching) fire and smoke seemed to do a good job getting rid of bugs. as far as tent tarp I like the tent mine was a single but it was veray easy to tear out if needed. if your worried about bugs then bring a tent if letting blood suckers feast on you is ok then by all means go for tarp.

Members who have read this thread: 0