Brown bear has been post holed...- Mtbr.com
    Bikes are good

Brown bear has been post holed...

Some horse riding A-hole rode his gigantic **** machine on the Brown bear trail sometime between yesterday evening, and this morning. They left a few deep holes, a few medium holes, and kicked a couple significant rocks out. This is the kind of thing that makes me want to get my fog horn out again.

I'm kidding, I didn't foghorn the horse that time. Seriously though, this kind of thing is extremely irritating. Where are the park nazis that ticket off leash dog owners when you need them? Whoever it was, found out they can ride this thing over the boardwalk, because the horseshoe prints go straight to the other side. And no, it's not a moose. They are smarter than the owners of horses and wouldn't walk on this trail.

Just an informative b*tch fest from me. Anyone on here that knows a hillside white collar horse riding idiot could you spread the word and let them know they don't OWN the hillside and can't flop crap on any trail they feel like.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
    No F*n way.. we just were out there Thursday doing the yearly R&R. That seriously pisses me off.

I shouldn't have cut that one tree hanging low.. I might go out there and fall one over the trail. We minimally need to get some signage up there to tell them to keep the Flip Off.

Christopher

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by crsouser
    No F*n way.. I shouldn't have cut that one tree hanging low.. I might go out there and fall one over the trail.
    Yes way! I rode it yesterday evening and noticed it too and was shocked. A single horse came in from the Black Bear end, and in a couple of spots created some pretty serious sinkholes.

I had just run into CrankAddict, the Grouch, Alan and Brian on Speedway, and I had just thanked them for volunteering on Brown Bear last Wed, and mentioned that it was really too bad that one lower overhanging spruce tree was cut out, because it was a natural obstacle for the equestrians. Sure it was low and an added challenge possibly for bikers as well, but a natural deterrent nonetheless.

I think you're right Christopher, some signage in the least is in order. That trail won't be able to sustain its buffed condition if it becomes popular with the hoofed crowd.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Maybe we can probably use the giant piles of crap it left to fill in the holes.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Tree

Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    and mentioned that it was really too bad that one lower overhanging spruce tree was cut out, because it was a natural obstacle for the equestrians. Sure it was low and an added challenge possibly for bikers as well, but a natural deterrent nonetheless.
    That is the one I mentioned above.. I agree.. I know some others in the immediate area that I might be able to reposition. I will try to get some sort of signage up soon..even if it is only off my printer.

I was mentioned though even before last weeks trail work, that this trail is now a couple years old and we still don't have signage up on it. I believe there is some sort of agreed upon signage convention now and we should get something made ASAP.

How far back does the damage go?

Christopher

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Is Brown Bear considered a mtb only trail? The problem with signs is that someone will just take them down.

Bikes are good

horse forum???

Is there a forum where these people talk about how the mtbr's ruin their peaceful ass-sit ride through the woods? That might be a good start. I think a sign would work. We should make a cheap one, and replace it when we need to. We can have a stock pile of them hidden back there in case people steal or break them. Most of the folks riding/hiking back there wouldn't do that. Would they?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    We shouldn't go too crazy...it's just one a-hole on a horse. It could have easily been one a-hole on a mtb cutting out roots or whatever. Not trying to defend a-holes, but we don't need trail wars going on.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Original Design..

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    We shouldn't go too crazy...it's just one a-hole on a horse. It could have easily been one a-hole on a mtb cutting out roots or whatever. Not trying to defend a-holes, but we don't need trail wars going on.
    Very True.. Trail Wars don't usually work out to well.

Brown Bear was designed as a Multi-Use Trail for Mt. Bikes, Runners, Hikers, Classic Skier, Winter Biking, and Snow Shoers. The Municipality agreed with that designation.

As the original signage implied and designed called for, it was not every designed or intended to be used by horses, llamas, or other pack animals.

Christopher

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

wild horses

Maybe it was a wild horse...

Maybe... wild horses have forum that we could post on

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was out riding the campbell tract on sunday and saw an attractive young lady riding bare foot , bare back on a horse ! I kid you not !

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    I had just thanked them for volunteering on Brown Bear last Wed, and mentioned that it was really too bad that one lower overhanging spruce tree was cut out, because it was a natural obstacle for the equestrians.
    When we built that trail three years ago, we discussed intentionally placing low obstacles across the trail to discourage equestrians, so I'm baffled by why a tree that served that purpose would have been removed. I don't mean to play Monday morning quarterback, because I wasn't able to be there last week, but I'm wondering why it was cut out.

In my opinion, any tree that a normal mountain biker can ride under should be left in place unless it poses a safety hazard because of imminent collapse. Anything that makes it easier for horses to use the trail just invites this kind of B.S.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Wood chips are stupid
    So,,,who is going out to fix it?

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
    I hope to get out there tomorrow (Wednesday night) to at least survey the damage myself and come up with some sort of plan.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crsouser
    Brown Bear was designed as a Multi-Use Trail for Mt. Bikes, Runners, Hikers, Classic Skier, Winter Biking, and Snow Shoers. The Municipality agreed with that designation.

As the original signage implied and designed called for, it was not every designed or intended to be used by horses, llamas, or other pack animals.

Christopher
    Thanks for that info...I couldn't remember what was agreed on. I guess you can't really blame them if there are no signs up.

Wood chips are stupid

Could be worse

This has maybe happened two other times. Not really that bad if you consider the amount of horse traffic the area recieves. Probably was a young person or somebody new to the area. Who cares really? It could be a lot worse. Trail could have collapsed,ruining the trail beyond a few minutes of repair. We need to get out there,repair the damage and install some sort of barrier to prevent this from happening again. You could say its our fault for not having proper signage and barriers in place to begin with. Other trail users can't read our minds. No big deal. One of the reasons we build substainable trails is for times like this. I think we are lucky.

akdeluxe

JT

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Agreed on trail wars not working...Up at Mooseberry Mesa Trail, 'Wildfire' and the folks up in the valley put up a narrow, low corral gate with the top stringer hanging at horseback rider head level at the entrance, with a sign on the stringer that tactfully states "no horses' or something to that effect. Might be worth considering something like that, although strategically placed beetle kill will be a bit less manmade looking and still do the job.

Brown bear looked great at lunch yesterday, although there was probably about 4 of the hoof holes you mentioned on the outer edges (usually downhill side) of the treadway; also a huge rock removed at the west end that looked to be a sprain hazard for a horse. So it must have gotten hammered after 300PM yesterday...

BTW, the work that folks did last week looks great! The new single log retaining wall, the rock armoring around a bunch of the tree roots, and the big rock landing spots at the bottom of the west ramp really make a big diff on protecting it. We still need some more rock protection on some of the other roots or we'll lose some more trees though, and do a better entrance/exit at either end...I'm available weeknites Mon and Tues. (Chris, I could put a measuring wheel on the trail, do a linear log that ID's all the features as they are so we can discuss each feature instead of not knowing what each other are talking about...but I couldn't get to it til next week--wanna hit Russian Lakes this weekend!)

BTW, the Muni doesn't have any ordinances on the books that close the trail to any specific non-motorized uses (let alone have legal authority to keep people off trails until June 1). And the rangers out there are on BLM lands only, which are all located west of the Tour of Anch. Trail. The Muni ain't got no one except APD...which means there's no one minding the store

Diaskeuast
    I went up to check it out tonight, and Brown Bear trail is fine.

Yes, some dumbass rode a horse over it, but the only damage is shown in these photos. A small rock was knocked loose at the far end of the trail where it intersects Black Bear, and there are a few small hoof prints a few feet away, but they'll disappear after a few tires roll over them. The rock hole is frustrating, but it's the only one.

Use of this trail by equestrians remains a concern, but the trail has not been trashed.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Alaska Turner Mafia

Rode Brown Bear tonite.....

....with SkiMonkee and akdeluxe, and the more bike traffic it gets, the more the damage seems to be getting corrected. It's not serious as is, but some signage should be encouraged so it doesn't become popular as an equestrian route, resulting in further damage occurring. I'll help out with any sign ideas, just let me know.

Once again though, I'd like to thank those that pitched in and made some improvements. Job well done.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Karma
    I went up to check it out tonight, and Brown Bear trail is fine.

Yes, some dumbass rode a horse over it, but the only damage is shown in these photos. A small rock was knocked loose at the far end of the trail where it intersects Black Bear, and there are a few small hoof prints a few feet away, but they'll disappear after a few tires roll over them. The rock hole is frustrating, but it's the only one.

Use of this trail by equestrians remains a concern, but the trail has not been trashed.
    Not only did someone ride thieir horse on our trail,but they dropped their glove too.

akdeluxe

JT

Oct 2005
    my wife and i are reading this and cracking up; not at the issue, but at all the clever retorts and comments, you guys are funny.

Dec 2006
    We should get fingerprints from the glove...
    I doubt Pearl Izumi are worn by equestians...
    can we put some rocks on the pathway makes a challenge for cycling but would possibly put a dent in equestrians using the trail... How ever regards to using airhorn I remembered I used one downtown at an intersection and about 2 minutes later that horse carriage showed up on the right side of the intersection... Iam pretty sure the horses heard my noise maker and did not panic... however I would never use one if I encountered an equestrian on the trails... at anyrate use your bug dope on the trails the mosquitoes are out to bite anything moving. Look at all my sponsers --->

Members who have read this thread: 0