Boots for flats (winter). Yes I searched.- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Boots for flats (winter). Yes I searched.

I did search and found some decent info but it was all pretty dated and honestly mostly about clip less options. Fwiw I don't really have the always cold feet issues some people do, but I like to be comfortable out there too. I am familiar with VB socks etc but haven't had the need to go that extreme for my typical 2 hour ride.

Two questions really. I am looking for something a bit less bulky than my 20 year old sorrels. They work ok (with long pedal studs) and since the liners are pretty well shot they aren't too warm and sweaty. They are big. So first question has anyone found a good all around boot for winter riding in average conditions?

Hiking boots I know work for some but I find them too stiff and restrictive in the ankle ,although the stiffness of the sole is nice, and not really warm enough unless you're actively riding.

Second question. I really like the idea of the neos overshoes for longer/colder trips. What are people using inside these? Is there a boot that would fit the above criteria and also be good in the neos?

Worst case I guess I get new liners and rock the sorrels for another decade.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Cabela's Snow Runners work pretty well. They fit (barely) in my Neos. They are more bulky than a cycling shoe but thet are warmer too.
    Latitude 61

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Go with a nice big size that allows for thick socks. A mistake that many people make is cramming thick socks into a size boot that can't accommodate it, limiting their circulation and actually making their feet feel colder. I've had good luck with summer sneakers/wool socks on warmer winter days, big 20 year old sorels on cold days, and gore-tex uninsulated hiking boots with a single pair of wool socks for in-between days.

sluice box
    I like my Lobben boots from Pia's I use a gator to keep the snow from sticking to them. They are warm and breathe well. I'm wanting to get Neos for them this winter as an overboot. I just could not drop the price for a Lobben boot and a Neos in one winter ($200+). Lobbens are better than my clunky Sorel Caribou boots.

mtbr member
    Ive wondered about the lobben boots. How are the soles? Stiff enough? I think they would be perfect in the Neos however.

sluice box
    the lobben soles are soft and flexy, I did put supper feet in to help them fit a little better. the tred grips well.

mtbr member
    +1 on the Lobben's. As noted, a stiff insole helps a ton. breathe well, very warm, not waterproof. best for cold and dry.

seedub
    Salomon Anka CS WP Winter Boots - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

I picked up these for winter commuting last year for $75, they worked really well and were surprisingly warm. They became my all-round winter boot and kept me plenty warm spectating all the XC ski races my kids participate in. Pleasantly surprised.
    you may have come before us on no bicycle, but that does not say you know everything.

AKTed
    Sep 2004

Keen Summit County II

The Keen Summit County III's work for me. They're not quite as bulky as Sorrels. Sized big - try them on - so that a thick wool sock can be worn. I use a liner sock and VB (bagel bag) when really cold. The VB thing works for me and has the added benefit of keeping the boot dry (don't have to worry about drying them out between rides).

But boots are a bit like saddles - it's pretty personal as to what works.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Another vote for Lobbens.
    Been riding and wearing them all winter for over a decade.

I've never had issues with the flex of the sole, they're stiffer than my 5.10 Freerider summer shoes. Not really an issue for me on a big platform pedal, even on long days.
    I do however love the sheepskin insoles that Pia offers. So cozy, it's more like putting on a pair of slippers than riding shoes.
    just pedal

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I like the Salomon Toundra Mid WP Winter boot. Gore-Tex breathable, Rated to -40F if your really hardcore you can wear Neo's over and toe warmers and take it lower. Feels like your wearing a running shoe weight wise.

mtbr member

That sounds sweet. I'll check it. Also have to swing by pia's and check out some lobbens next time I'm in anchor town.

mtbr member

I just discovered pia's is now only online. Guess I'm out of the loop, was hoping to try them on first.

sluice box
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskamatt View Post
    I just discovered pia's is now only online. Guess I'm out of the loop, was hoping to try them on first.
    I'm shure they will work with you. The Euro sizing is kind of off as they run smaller than say my LaSportivas. LaSport (44) Lobbin (46). They do have a booth at the State fair, but if you email them I bet they would fit you up at their house.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I find lobbens work great for biking if they are in neos, but all by the selves they sort of suck. They are light and they dry fast, but the felt upper isn't wind proof so they get cold if you start moving fast, and the felt seems to suck up moisture like a spunge. They work for some people - my wife loves them, and bikes in them all winter long.

I think the best, light option for is the Cabela's Snow Runners sryanak mentions. Steger Mukluks are another option, though expensive and only available online.

mtbr member
    Pick up a set of 45 Nrth Wolvhammers for flat sole. They were the best upgrade. I used to do neo's over boots and got cold feet on long rides. I wear my Wolvehammers even when I'm not riding in the winter. It's a great boot.
    "but you are a jerk, google it!" anonymous negative feedback 09-18-2012 09:07 AM Keep is positive folks!

is buachail foighneach me
    Cabelas Snow runners are excellent. They've been used by multiple people multiple times in the ITI. I've also found that, oddly enough, eVent trail running shoes(I'm sure GoreTex would work as well) keep my feet surprisingly warm on the bike down to the negative single digits. They completely block the wind, and eVent's level of breathability seems to work perfectly for my feet. I've used the Teva eVent shoes, but wouldn't recommend them due to recent durability issues.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    FWIW, I use Teva boots with event waterproofing. I'll be the first to admit, I'm not out in really cold temps. But if I'm not on a super social ride, or commuting, it's fine at zero ish.

I will also throw out that I got nylon pedals with steel pins from Speedway. Much warmer than metal pedals and no worries about damage to the pedal bodies.

Cactus Cuddler
    Total overkill, but the Salomon Deemax might be worth a look too.

mtbr member

So many options. I do have a cabelas gift card floating around so that plus Sean's endorsement of ITI use might swing the scales that way. 50 degrees out today. No rush I guess.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by alaskamatt View Post
    So many options. I do have a cabelas gift card floating around so that plus Sean's endorsement of ITI use might swing the scales that way. 50 degrees out today. No rush I guess.
    Supposed to get to 49 in Juneau today?
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Anybody have experience with Vasquez ultra winter hiking boots for fat biking? I just bought a pair from REI for $160, way cheaper than Wolvhammer or Lake, (of which there are None available locally in the Sesttle area).. These are rated to -40F, 400 grams thinsulate, and fully waterproof, yardda yadda, versus the cycling boots,that seem to be good only to the lower digits or above.

Just wondering if these Vasquez somehow are to bulky for flat pedals, or if are there other unknown drawbacks to using modern hi tech winter hiking boots for winter cycling, rather than the cycling specific winter Boots?

Iam not gonna race anybody with my fat bike, but might do overnighters or longer in 0-25 F weather.

mtbr member

Well I stopped in cabelas to try on the snowrunners. Very nice boots. Light and comfortable. The soloman snowtrip TS were right next to them. Also light and comfy. In the end I chose the soloman for the tread appearing to be more pedal pin friendly. The snowrunner has pretty large lugs and voids and IME that doesn't work well with pinned flats. The soloman has a nice tread but far less aggressive and the depth of tread is only a few mm.

I'll report back after a cold ride on performance.

Last edited by alaskamatt; 11-02-2014 at 08:35 PM.

mtbr member
    I wear Solomon's as it was my go-to winter boot for snowshoeing, hiking, etc. They are very light weight, the tread is good and usually water proof. The boots I have are rated 20 degrees but if it is colder, I add silk sock liners under my SmartWool ski socks. I'll add toe warmers if needed, sometimes two if it is real cold. I've been very happy with these boots other than after a couple years of wearing, the top has torn where the shoe bends near the toe box. No longer water proof but not a big deal for biking or wearing in the snow.

Cactus Cuddler
    AKP, you may have some luck using spray-on DWR (durable water repellent) to get some of the water shedding properties on them back, it works pretty well and my guess is that's how they're water repellent for the first couple years. Tis' cheap, and works, especially for such a comfortable boot system it's worth that bit more cash if it opens them up to more use. I have DWR around because I like having high end soft shells, but it's worth trying on those.
    Hiking Boot Care

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tehllama View Post
    AKP, you may have some luck using spray-on DWR (durable water repellent) to get some of the water shedding properties on them back, it works pretty well and my guess is that's how they're water repellent for the first couple years. Tis' cheap, and works, especially for such a comfortable boot system it's worth that bit more cash if it opens them up to more use. I have DWR around because I like having high end soft shells, but it's worth trying on those.
    Hiking Boot Care
    There is a crack and the fabric torn so I don't think I can get them back to being water proof. I just stay out of the water...

mtbr member
    I also use the Lobben boots, they are great, light, breathable, tons of grip, work awesome on flats, super warm. I got mine from Wayfare Woollens - Buy Lobben Boots Today at Wayfare Woollens
    great service and fast shipping. I have used mine or about 4 years for everything from cutting wood to bike commuting. Mushers used these boots in the Yukon Quest and the Ididarod and love them.