Bon Ton write up/pics- Mtbr.com
    is buachail foighneach me

Bon Ton write up/pics

X-posted from akspokes.com

thank you carlos for the ride down, the hospitality and the great event!

9pm friday we toed the line at tern lake, male rides outnumbered by female 2:1, and headed off for an out and back on the crescent creek trail. i really enjoyed this trail for a race situation up and down. rocks, some technical features, tight twisty turns, super fast heading down and fantastic scenery.

took off hard from the start, only to watch the one racer chuck just dissappear off the front. rode with brian for a while, then he fell back a bit and i rode with paul for a bit. i was pushing harder than usual, spurned on by just how quickly chuck vannished off the front. we eventually turned off the fire road and onto the singletrack climb, and i kept charging, though by this time i could feel it was doing me in. maybe halfway up the climb i had to walk a couple of the steeper sections.

come around a turn at one point and see a skid mark on the ground with the word BEAR scratched into the dirt. oh great. pedalled on ringing my bell furiously, and finally caught up to chuck who was in the process of taking off his windbreaker. he was thrilled to have someone to ride with after seeing what he described as a circa 1000 lb grizzly. unfortunately though, he had alot more left in his legs than i did at that point and he soon found himself riding alone again. when he passed me on his way back down, he told me i had maybe a mile and a half to go to the turn around point. i got there, scratched my name into the ground, ate a honey bun, and turned around to head back.

it was ALOT nicer going down than up, and i found myself going scary fast in some sections. made all the switchbacks no problem, as they were easy enough to see. the trail was dry though and i found myself drifting the (non-switchback)turns more than i would have liked, even with a motoraptor/stout combo. in between two of the switchbacks, i came into a quick dogleg a little too hot, and managed to drift right off the edge of the trail and tumble twenty feet down the hill, over fallen, dead spruce. i got up, was amazed to find myself in one piece, and even more amazed to find my bike in similar condition. scurried back up to the trail and took off. i was shaken a little though and my muscles really didn't feel like doing any work, so i found myself walking a few of the hills on the fireroad back to the finish. it was super fun, with incredible views and really great trails. beer and food ensued before the night of free camping by a lake, under the snow-capped chugach mountains.

saturday i woke up feeling friday in my legs. we headed out to breakfast at the summit lake lodge, and then on down to the start of that days 48 mile stage in hope, ak. out of hope, chuck took off the same as the day before, but i knew i wouldn't survive the day if i didn't back off a little at the start. so i rolled at a more managable pace for the first 6 or so miles with ethan and anthony. brian had gone off fishing for the day and paul had injured his leg the night before. we hit the wide, well maintained singletrack and i still felt good, had a good spin. eventually it was just me though and the occasional friendly hiker. i was still taking it alot easier than the day before. there were some steep sections that i got off and walked, using the opportunity to eat a granola bar or honey bun. i stopped for a few seconds in a few places to take a picture or two of the gorgeous valley we were ascending and the snow covered hills we were climbing to. i figured, based on pace, yesterday's finishing time difference, and all other factors, that i would have two miles to go to the top when chucked passed me on his descent. the trail flirted with tree line for a bit, and started mellowing out, but it was tough to see how much more we would have to go before hitting the first major snow covering the trail, which would be our turnaround point. eventually i was out of the trees and into the alpine area, with billions of blueberry bushes(no fruit yet obviously). the trail surface turned to slightly packed early spring frost heave type of soil, and the patches of snow were coming right up to the edge of the trail in some places. finally i see chuck and pull over to let him pass. he tells me "nice work!" and "only about 2 miles to the turn around.". good guess, i guess. at the snowpatch i stood the bike up, took a picture, ate a granola bar and finished off my second bottle. switched the third to my water bottle holder and started off down the hill. my strategy to back off a little bit worked wonders, as i felt alot fresher at the top of this hill than at the top of friday's. everyone looked in good spirits and enjoying the ride and views. i charged, but did so in a more cautious way than friday night. the penalty for drifting off the trail on this descent would be closer to a 40 foot tumble into rocks and boulders. passed one of the trail tramps who had bailed with a knee injury. made sure she was ok to make it out on her own and kept going. passing by some of the land marks i noted on the way up on the trail got me excited and freshened my legs up with a surge of adrenaline. the gated bridge over an old mining operation, the steep straight downhill, the rocky wash, then finally i saw the bridge. got on the road and chewed down a honey bun as i spun along with a big smile on my face. it was a great feeling to charge across that finish line! washed the mud off myself in the creek, changed, then walked right into the sea view bar and grill(strategic start/finish pint if i ever saw one) for fish and chips and beer. live music later, and a bunch of other riders who had to work for the day, along with alot of locals, showed up for a big solstice celebration that lasted well into the well lit early morning hours.

got back to anchorage and slept the rest of sunday away.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Ologist
    Cool write up. That is crazy to still see snow up there on the trail after solstice!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Beautiful...what trail again though???

oops! first one is crescent creek trail, the rest are on ressurection pass trail. i just moved up here the sunday before the race, and this was my intro to kenai riding. fantastic stuff.

No, that's not phonetic
    Resurrection Trail out of Hope, up to Resurrection Pass, then back to Hope it sounds like.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

^what he said^

Grillin' & Chillin'

Great Story

Thanks for the nice write up about the Bon Ton Roulet.

Welcome to Alaska! See you out on the trails.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Members who have read this thread: 0