Bon Ton Roulet - Rezultz- Mtbr.com
    rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Good job! Bon Ton Roulet - Rezultz

Well, after 59,6 miles or so of riding in conditions that at times required riders to struggle through miles and miles of chlorophyl that attempted to snatch the bars from your death grip or concealed the numerous wheel sucking potholes or the infamous bottomless mud hole and this was just the 1st stage, the 23 miles of Johnson Pass.
    The second stage, occurred on Saturday at 11 AM, at the Devils Pass Trail Head, where the riders rode under clear skies with temps in the mid 70's. This stage had the finish at the Sea View Bar in Hope. A group of very 3 skilled women recreational riders and a SS rider all of which represented the valley very well with their joy for riding, fitness and riding skills along with their passion for knowing how to have fun completed the second leg and celebrated by drinking cold beers at the Sea View !

Here are the times in no particular order:
    Chuck, 5h 12m; Tony, 5h 59m; Tim, 6h 28m; Brian, 6h 34m; Dallas, 6h 36m; Paul, 6h 6m; Jay Mo, 7h 8m.

After beers at the Sea View; the Bon Ton Roulet riders met for an evening of BBQing and gulping cold beers and once in a while swilling Wild Turkey. The Buffalo Burgers were super, the brats were tasty, the peppered tender loin was so tender as well as the chicken with the bone sucking sauce !
    A huge thank you to Tim Kelly and the Markis family for the use of a great cabin and sauna !

Please stay tuned for the next Crusty Bits event which will be held on the first weekend of August !!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Thanks Carlos! Hoping to make the next one too. We really appreciate you organizing events like this. Cheers!

Grillin' & Chillin'
    Thanks Carlos!

The Bon Ton Roulet was a fun and challenging Crusty Bits style event. It was great to see all the riders from Palmer. I Definitely will be looking forward to the next event that I can fit in my schedule.

Huge thanks to the Markis' for letting us use their cabin at the end of Saturdays event. It's way better staying in Hope than having to drive home tired and hungry. Meeting and riding with new faces was pretty cool too.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member
    Are you guys talking about Bill Markis? If so, he and my dad were business partners in a camera shop downtown on 4th. Dans Camera Repair. We use to go out to his cabin on the weekends and have clam bakes.

It sounds like everybody had a great time riding. Maybe I'll be in town for the next crusty event.

Grillin' & Chillin'
    Amazing! - That's the correct Bill Markis. And I do remember him being partners in Dan's Camera. What's your name other than your on-line name, so I can tell Bill about it?
    Grill Meister
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Grillin' & Chillin'

Fry Pan and Mountain Hard Wear

Carlos - I got your fry pan, that was left at the cabin

Also I've got a green Mountain Hard Wear fleece lined wind breaker that was left at the cabin. It looks kind of familiar so I think it might be yours too.

If anybody is missing this jacket send me a PM. Thanks
    Grill Meister
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

mtbr member

Hey speed.....

Check your pm

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Sat

Renee said she saw your car there. I wish I would have noticed it and I would have stopped by. We were on our way to Seward (taking friends so we had 2 cars). I was busy being envious of all the Ride for Life riders since it was such a gorgeous day. I thought "oh I'll just get a ride in Sunday" and then it pissed rain all day.

Sounds like you guys had fun. I think next summer I'm going to tell everyone that wants to visit in June and July to go to hell. They can come visit in the winter!

Grillin' & Chillin'

High Light/Low Light

Carlos,

I forgot to mention how a combination of dexterity, complacency, idiocy and BMX skills brewed together can crank up the pucker factor and provide a good laugh at the same time. But, (and that's a big butt) only if you survive to tell the tale. The last three or four miles approaching the trailhead at the Hope end of the Resurrection trail have a nice comfy down hill grade that allows you to let it out pretty good with only a few touches of the brakes here and there, as most of that portion of the trail is in good enough shape to really fly.

Well, as you know, there are a number of small wooden bridges, added in the past few years, that have made it even a faster than ever, because you don't have to slow down for all the wheel suckin' perpendicular drainage dips. I was feeling way too comfy and was falling complacent and not being attentive to what might be coming ahead. In the middle of a nice smooth left hand sweeping bend, low and behold there is a bridge nice and straight and hookin' me even harder to the left. Using a little dexterity learned from many years of winter riding I was able to pull the bike back under me without launching straight off the edge into the boulder strewn creek about 6-8 ft. below. Riding the edge like I was trying to hold a line on a railroad track I was amazed that I was still on the bridge half way across. No longer able to contain my momentum both wheels dropped off into nothing. I've always told my self I haven't crashed until body parts touch down in dirt. So at that point I'm asking myself "Self, you're still upright, but why?" Here's where the BMX comes in, I'm grinding the edge of the bridge with my pedal, but the bridge is ending and the vertical bank is beginning.

BAM! - Front wheel hits the bank - Tim's over the bars - still clipped, in NRS is over Tim's head and we are heading for the creek. Luckily all the mass quantities of alders and such kept me from going for a swim. So me and NRS are hanging in the bushes trying to figure out how to unclip while NRS is on top of me stuck in the bushes. I was pissed and cussing like crazy because of my idiocy for not paying attention. Once I got unclipped and realized that I never made it to the creek I started to laugh out loud, as I had orginally thought I would never make it across in the first place and should have been totally soaked and broken from landing on the rocks in the creek.

That's what makes Mt. Biking sooooooo much fun.
    Grill Meister
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Mr.Secret
    Nice description........glad you're OK
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I hope the bike didn't get hurt.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Ummm

Is there such a thing as a delayed reaction to Cow Parsnip or am I suffering from syphillis/rare flesh eating virus? I've never had a problem before but all of a sudden on Tuesday I started breaking out in a rash in all the places that I was bashing through the stuff on Friday night. My arms and legs are highly inflamed and itchy but no blistering which I've heard is associated with it. Right now, pants are my worst enemy.

Dec 2004

Endo Tally and Cow Parsnip

I completed a round-trip of Johnson's pass as some of you were arriving. I did two endo's, Tim did one; what's the total tally? My gray Roach knee/shin guards turned green on that ride.

s62
    mtbr member
    Cow Parsnip can definitely have a delayed reaction. 24hrs sometimes. Stay out of the sun.
    09 Specialized Enduro SL Expert
    w/ E150 and Command Post

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Sorry for the delay, here is a link to some pics of the starts and finishes of the various stages. No race action shots, sorry. First Annual Bon Ton Roulet

Regarding the question of total endos, I had 2 myself on Johnson and one forward somersault on Resurrection, possibly over a golden retriever. Not sure if I went directly over the dog but I never made contact. Miraculous.

Members who have read this thread: 0