Black Bear sightings- Mtbr.com
    Alaska Turner Mafia

Black Bear sightings

(Cross post from Ak.spokes)

I ran an errand yesterday evening and ran into two black bears on the path between Lake Otis and Elmore, along the north side of the north fork of Campbell Creek. I didn't stick around, only watching briefly.

I got out again this evening and followed mostly the same path as yesterday. Again I ran into two black bears in the same vicinity. I may have been mistaken if they were the same two as yesterday, because yesterday I assumed the two were siblings. Tonight these two appeared to be a sow with a single subadult. They played and wrestled in the woods while I watched for a few minutes. Check it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

Alaska Turner Mafia

Check out this blind guy!

He never even noticed until he was right alongside. Either blind or mind was totally pre-occupied, nevertheless, I think he got really lucky. He didn't even slow down, just went cruising on by with his freewheel clicking like mad as he passed.

Alaska Turner Mafia

My return was even better!

As I was returning from the airport post office, following the same route, I fully expected to see the same pair as I passed through their area. I wasn't really too surprised when I ran across a bear beside the bike path again in the vicinity, but was then shocked to see a cub!

I didn't see the cub at first, it was behind some shrub, in the left of the first pic below. Then as the sow began to cross the path and graze, a second cub appeared! Wow, the hits just came on coming..... what an evening, it totally outdid yesterday. Cubs are always such a treat to see.

Sorry about the poor quality of pics, I really wasn't too steady. I was straddling my bike and a bit contorted while trying to keep my distance. Please be careful while cruising through this area as all of a sudden the concentrations are high, and the bears aren't showing any fear.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Did this guy need help cleaning out his drawers after this shot was taken?

Great photos as usual Rando.
    Be careful out there.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

No, that's not phonetic
    Cute! Those black bear cubs look so puntable!

These are the guys I would see on my rides last summer:

My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Aug 2004
    Great photos guys!

Ologist
    "Cute! Those black bear cubs look so puntable!"

They are really hard to clean out of your spokes too

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Great Shots!!!

These are right in my back yard...wish 80th was fixed!

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    Cute! Those black bear cubs look so puntable!

These are the guys I would see on my rides last summer:

Seriously Tscheezy, I don't know how you do it.
    I'm freakin' scared of your photo, I think if I would have seen that group of hellions out on the trail somewhere my entire head would explode (along with my a$$).
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I added another bottle cage for bears spray last night, looks like I am going to have more than moose to contend with on my daily commute across town.

I hate to say this but its only a matter of time before someone has another BAD encounter with bears becoming this bold.

Aug 2004
    I wrapped some closed-cell foam sheeting around my bear spray and it slips pretty snug into my bottle holder. Don't want to be rubbing through the spray cannister from metal/metal abrasion!

Can goes "PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFT"
    Bob goes "My eyes!" (claw claw claw)
    Bear goes *snif snif* "dinner?"

No, that's not phonetic
    Riding on the beaches in Port Moller meant constantly riding through bear infested country. Carrying bear spray on short rides can be a bother as you always have to strap something on. I made a quick-deploy downtube bear spray holder you may enjoy.

Find some PVC or ABS pipe which is just slightly smaller in inside diameter than your bear spray can. Cut it lengthwise, not quite in half. You want the larger half to wrap around the can a little over halfway so the can snaps into the pipe. More wrap-around means more holding power, but it can be tough to get the can in and out. You may need to experiment.

Take the leftover piece and cut it down to be much narrower (about 1" wide), and a bit shorter. Drill two holes in it that match the spacing and diameter of the water bottle cage mounting bolts. Mark the location of these holes on the larger piece of pipe, and drill those holes large enough so that the entire water bottle bolt head fits inside (so they nest flush and don't protrude into the bear spray can). Use PVC primer and cement to glue the mess together, held in a vice to get a good contact (the inside radius of the smaller piece does not match the outside radius of the larger piece so pressure is needed).

Mount up and go find some bears!

Last edited by tscheezy; 07-10-2008 at 08:03 PM.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    I'm freakin' scared of your photo...
    Here, they look less scary in this shot:

Ologist
    Nice design. I have been using a canister case with a strap that takes a little to set up, but when it is on, it is on for the season. I think I want to build a "Cheezy holster". Has the canister ever bounced out?

Aug 2004
    Great design! I have two different diameter cannisters but ABS comes in all sizes. I smell a project coming on for tomorrow!

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Has the canister ever bounced out?
    No, it has stayed put. You can vary the holding power dramatically depending on how far you have the pipe wrap around the can. Also, if you need some extra friction once the paper label peels off, a couple wraps of black electrical tape around the bear spray can helps.

We want... a shrubbery!
    Hmmm... I think I'll be constructing a Cheez-tastic holder as well!
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Yesterday, My resource crew and I were working in the recently burned area on campbell creek, right off piper where you are talking about....Mama and cubs KNEW we were in the vicinity and initially came to within 40 ft of us in the burned area, and after we shooed them off and exited the area she stayed and followed us alongside the trail, within 12 ft.

It was amazing to see a mama and a cub but it was still way too close for comfort, especially since we were making so much noise and they just didn't care at all. Bears are beautiful but man I wish they were more weary of people on these greenbelts. Thanks for the pics and, man and I bet your adrenaline was pumping as much as ours was! Quite a scare when you look over to the next tree and it's a sow coming your way.

beer is good
    Hey, Rando
    really great shots, man!
    I'll assume your incredible machismo put 'em in their place though

p.s. I saw three rattlesnakes on todays ride
    Steve
    "looking California, feeling Minnesota"

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Hmmm... I think I'll be constructing a Cheez-tastic holder as well!
    Take care in your construction. After news of the incident at the 24-hour, our next rider went out (against our wishes and his better judgement..sleep deprivation?) and we made him take the one that was strapped to Bubbas bike. I seem to remember it being a bit too snug and having much difficulty getting it out of there. All this while not on the bike. It is a good design, but there is a fine line btwn secure and semi-permanent fixture.

We want... a shrubbery!
    Yea, definitely -- I'm weighing the options between a bike mount or hip-holster, which would be easier to get out?

And as far as that rider, if I'm not mistaken, I would blame that poor decision-making on the hair... yea, definitely the hair.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Ologist
    I used to keep one on my hip, but since I don't used my bottle holder, I found that I like the ability to pull the canister from a riding position before I even stop the bike. In other words, I don't even need to be upright to draw the spray and I think that the time that I will need to draw - I will need every second.

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ickyickyptngzutboing
    Yea, definitely -- I'm weighing the options between a bike mount or hip-holster, which would be easier to get out?
    I don't know so much about access speed, but it's certainly safer padded and in a bottle cage. You don't want to fall off the bike and land hard on your hip-mounted spray -- especially over rocks.

After putting a few scary-looking dents in my canister that way, I now wrap my bear spray a couple of times with a thin, foam-rubbery shelf liner and keep it in an adjustable Topeak plastic cage (specifically, the Modula Ex). It hasn't fallen out despite several Steve Austins since adopting that carry method. The adjustability of the cage allows me to set a good tension for either size canister, or use it with a water bottle when the spray is "unnecessary."

May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiMonkee
    Take care in your construction. After news of the incident at the 24-hour, our next rider went out (against our wishes and his better judgement..sleep deprivation?) and we made him take the one that was strapped to Bubbas bike. I seem to remember it being a bit too snug and having much difficulty getting it out of there. All this while not on the bike. It is a good design, but there is a fine line btwn secure and semi-permanent fixture.
    I sometimes wonder about the strength of the connection between the canister and the nozzle assembly. I'd hate for the latter to loosen over time while attaching and detaching the canister to and from a stiff holder, or have it snap off entirely after taking a hard hit from the side in a spill.* I think a holder should have as much "give" as possible while still keeping the canister reasonably secure. From appearances, the Cheez-tastic holder strikes me as too rigid.

* If the top were to snap off, probably nothing hilarious would happen because the valve inside the canister would still be closed under pressure -- ass-u-ming that nothing jams it open in the process, of course. If it isn't too damaged, you may even be able to simply snap the nozzle assembly back onto the canister and carry on. Regardless, it's still a vulnerable part that rarely gets enough protection with home-brewed carry methods.
    Last edited by Monsieur Genoux; 07-11-2008 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Clarification

mtbr member

Standard alloy cages work, too

Last year I took my standard thick-piped alloy cage i've had for years (but no longer use due to my Camelbak) and just bent it closed a little. With a little tweaking, I was able to get it bent to hold the bottle securely while being able to whip it out with a quick tug. No problems with rattling, moving around, or ejecting out - still only takes a tug to pull it out at a moment's notice.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

mtbr member
    We need to remember what Pete went through as took care of Petra. If I recall he did not have spray, but if he had and it was mounted on his bike it would have been useless as he ditched his bike and took care of the victim. Having spray mounted on your bike is good. Having spray on your bike and an extra on your Camelbak is even better. IMO....
    Save the Trails: http://www.imba.com

Alaska Turner Mafia

Just a reminder not to get complacent

With all the bear talk and sightings lately; runner's attacked on Double Bubble, Petra's attack on Rover's, grizzlies killing moose calves on the hillside, black bears on bike paths, and another runner chased on Spencer Loop this week, I was reminded today of the constant awareness we need to have.

I rode my usual loop today, getting lucky with my timing as I didn't get rained on, and ran into this bear track on upper Rover's, just east of the main corridor clearing. It wasn't there yesterday, and with all the rain we've gotten in the last day it must have been fairly fresh or it would have been more washed out. Stay bear aware folks. That's my size 47 for perspective, you can still see claw depressions too.

Rando

gumbies need lovin' too
    A tall widemouth bontrager water bottle with screw cap removed holds a canister of UDAP pepper power bear spray nicely. Use your normal bottle cage. The water bottle also adds a bit of protection for the canister.

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?

... and if we just ... Crazy!!!

I have my bear spray. I take it everywhere. We didn't see any bears in Girdwood today. But a couple days ago we did. Right next to the candle factory. A baby black bear about a year old cross the road right in front of us. We just turned off the highway, onto the road heading to Mt. Alyeska, and saw a couple cars in front of us stop, I saw something black, I thought it was a dog, but the cars pulled over, and a baby black bear just crossed the street right in front of us. Wasn't scared, was in no hurry. CRAZY!!!

That bottle cage bear spray holder is a GREAT idea. You should market that, before some else does...
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

Dirtmistress
    ! Unreal! Thought I'd lurk around some other states and see what other mountain bikers are doing and well..holy cr*p!! That's some discussion you guys have going on!
    We do have some mountain lion concerns here in Southern Cal but attacks are rare.
    Looks like you folks deal with some heavy reality on every ride!!
    Sounds exciting!!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She used to clean the whole trail.

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtmistress
    Looks like you folks deal with some heavy reality.......
    Yeah, it's becoming a problem. The salmon aren't in the local streams as in normal years. The runs are really late, so the bears are looking for alternatives for food sources.

This guy has been coming into my backyard on a daily basis. He was pretty harmless, but lately he's been getting impatient. I don't grill his steaks fast enough!

Dirtmistress
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    Yeah, it's becoming a problem. The salmon aren't in the local streams as in normal years. The runs are really late, so the bears are looking for alternatives for food sources.

This guy has been coming into my backyard on a daily basis. He was pretty harmless, but lately he's been getting impatient. I don't grill his steaks fast enough!

AWESOME!!
    WWXD.
    What would Xena do?
    She used to clean the whole trail.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando

Love the picture

mtbr member

bear mauls runner near rovers run on 8/8

another bear mauling reported near rovers run by the adn in this morning paper. let's be carefull out there. remember the buddy system.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

ooops!

oops!

Vorsprung durch Technik
    Bears are around

Members who have read this thread: 0