BIKES STOLEN FROM KINCAID CHALET PARKING LOT - 7/5 @ 1:30-2:45 pm- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004

BIKES STOLEN FROM KINCAID CHALET PARKING LOT - 7/5 @ 1:30-2:45 pm

Hello MTBR friends-

My 2014 Giant Anthem X29 Advanced and my sister-in-law's 2011 Giant Anthem X29 were stolen from Kincaid park earlier today. The theft occurred at approximately 1:30-2:45 pm on 7/5. I had put both bikes on a Thule T2 rack and double-locked them- (using the integrated Thule cable locks and an additional cable lock- U-lock mechanism). Upon returning to the car we could see that the thieves simply cut the cables and took the bikes. I thought where I parked the car would be safe- in plain view and perhaps even under video surveillance. Turns out that didn't matter. This was a scouted out and well executed plan with the right equipment in hand. I know any locking system can be defeated and it's all a risk we take leaving our bikes on vehicles but it still sucks.

I've been up in Anchorage visiting my wife's family for the past week and this was the first trip I decided to bring my bike with me. I must say it's been a blast to enjoy some fine Alaska single track on my bike and I even took part in the Kincaid XC #3 earlier in the week. What a great place to ride! Still- the best was hitting up devil's pass to resurrection pass on the Kenai on Thursday. Wow!

So all that to say, I'm flying my family back to Southern California tonight and will leave my empty bike-box in my brother-in-law's garage in Anchorage. Major kick in the nuts. If any of you come across either bike or have any information please contact the Anchorage PD at 786-8801 and please reference case number 14-27153. I will try and attach a picture of my bike at least to this post. The other bike was a black and red XS Anthem X aluminum frame with a standard build. My bike was the carbon frame with Giant P XCR carbon wheels with an XTR build on Fox suspension.

Hopefully the picture upload works. Here's my bike on Devil's pass.

Thanks again.

DJ
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BIKES STOLEN FROM KINCAID CHALET PARKING LOT - 7/5 @ 1:30-2:45 pm-img_1810.jpg  

"Pain Doesn't Hurt."

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    That sucks. I will be sure to keep an eye out for them at the shop. Glad you had a good time on your trip though. Well, apart from some worthless scumbags ripping off your bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by tom11919 View Post
    That sucks. I will be sure to keep an eye out for them at the shop. Glad you had a good time on your trip though. Well, apart from some worthless scumbags ripping off your bikes.
    Thank you!
    "Pain Doesn't Hurt."

Bikes are good

Stakeout

We should park a vehicle with bikes locked to it and wait for someone to come cut the locks and steal them. Call the cops, and actually nail these dirtbags.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    You cant blame a thief for stealing stuff. Its what he does. Ive had the same thing happen to me and really the best thing to do is forget about your bike, youll never see it again. The only good thing to come out of this episode for you is to learn a lesson, and dont leave your high end bike on a rack in the future. If you care enough about your bike to lock it, go a step further and disassemble it and put it in your car. Yes its inconvenient, but so is having to go buy a new bike. Best of luck next time.

mtbr member
    Wow! the388 1st post on mtbr is a dandy. So the out of state-er up here on vacation is at fault? I think not. Your attidude sucks, not only did our guest's get their bikes stolen now they have to be chastised by the like's of you? Wow! SADJ, I spend a fair amount of time in Kincaid. I'll keep my eyes out. This is the fist I've heard of bikes stolen off of a rack in Kincaid, we've had a ton of smash and grabs at the parking lots but not bikes off racks. The thieves are getting bold. Any luck with video survalance at the chalet? Best wishes and good luck.
    litespeed's break

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    Wow! the388 1st post on mtbr is a dandy. So the out of state-er up here on vacation is at fault? I think not. Your attidude sucks, not only did our guest's get their bikes stolen now they have to be chastised by the like's of you? Wow! SADJ, I spend a fair amount of time in Kincaid. I'll keep my eyes out. This is the fist I've heard of bikes stolen off of a rack in Kincaid, we've had a ton of smash and grabs at the parking lots but not bikes off racks. The thieves are getting bold. Any luck with video survalance at the chalet? Best wishes and good luck.
    Thank you- I appreciate the support in response to 3880, I won't dignify him with a response. The video surveillance was pretty sparse and not of any help. Based on how the bikes were taken, it appears that the thieves took their time to scout out what kind of locking mechanisms I had on the bikes and they had the right tools for the job. I venture to say they took the bikes in less than 30 seconds and I bet they saw my wife and I load the bikes on the car and then set off on our hike to the beach- so they knew they had time. They were obviously there at Kincaid to specifically steal bikes. I thought I parked in a reasonable location as people were constantly walking by our vehicle- but I was wrong. In the end I am very grateful that the theft occurred on my last day in AK after my last ride with my wife. As it is, we had a great time riding last week prior to the theft. Had it occurred prior in the week things would have been much more upsetting.
    "Pain Doesn't Hurt."

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I am with Mark on this one. We need to just setup these guys and catch them in the process because APD has done absolutely nothing about the ridiculous number of smash and grabs. Catch them in the act and off with their thumbs! Sorry to hear about the bikes that were stolen I will keep an eye out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ak greeff View Post
    The point of my post is not to be a dick or a smartass. Its to point out that you live in a world where a small percent of people are going to do bad things. When you leave expensive things visible in the open sometimes they get taken by folks who want your bike more than you. Honestly were you reallly surprised when youre bike wasnt there? The couple times Ive had a bike stolen here or a car broken into in hawaii, when I got back and discovered what happened, my first thought was yep, I kind of asked for that to happen by leaving stuff where and how it was easy to take. My fault, not the thiefs. Locks only keep honest people honest, and since honest people generally dont steal bikes, its fairly unlikely that a lock will dissuade someone who is inclined to take a bike in the first place.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    SADJ sorry for you loss.
    I have said this before and agree with some posts above about setting up a sting operation we need to do something to try and catch any of the smash and grab/bike thief's.
    Kevin you know my views on off with parts of their bodies and it wouldn't just be their thumbs.
    Will keep my eyes peeled for the bikes and hopefully there will be a happy end to the tale.
    Would rather be out riding!

It's not just about a bike

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by the3880 View Post
    The point of my post is not to be a dick or a smartass. Its to point out that you live in a world where a small percent of people are going to do bad things. When you leave expensive things visible in the open sometimes they get taken by folks who want your bike more than you. Honestly were you reallly surprised when youre bike wasnt there? The couple times Ive had a bike stolen here or a car broken into in hawaii, when I got back and discovered what happened, my first thought was yep, I kind of asked for that to happen by leaving stuff where and how it was easy to take. My fault, not the thiefs. Locks only keep honest people honest, and since honest people generally dont steal bikes, its fairly unlikely that a lock will dissuade someone who is inclined to take a bike in the first place.

"My fault, not the thiefs."

L U D I C R O U S

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    We should park a vehicle with bikes locked to it and wait for someone to come cut the locks and steal them. Call the cops, and actually nail these dirtbags.
    We need officers like this and this type of program. I especially enjoyed the sticker on his desk lamp: 'Death to Bike Thieves'.

How to Catch a Bike Thief - Video - NYTimes.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    You cant blame a thief for stealing stuff. Its what he does. Ive had the same thing happen to me and really the best thing to do is forget about your bike, youll never see it again. The only good thing to come out of this episode for you is to learn a lesson, and dont leave your high end bike on a rack in the future. If you care enough about your bike to lock it, go a step further and disassemble it and put it in your car. Yes its inconvenient, but so is having to go buy a new bike. Best of luck next time.
    the3880 I disagree with you totally, with this type of attitude you are saying its ok to take someone else’s stuff if you get a chance and don’t get caught. You are only a thief if you get caught, that’s just a bunch of BS a thief is a thief. Glad I am not your neighbor.
    SADJ I am on the trails a lot I will keep an eye out, sorry this happened to you, most of us think its wrong to steal other people’s property here in Alaska

KVP
    mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I think I'm going to put one of those 'Is This a Bait Bike?' stickers on my bike. Great idea!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50 View Post
    Time for us to take things into our own hands. I prefer prevention myself, rather than trying to find a bike that is gone.

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Quote Originally Posted by KVP View Post
    I think I'm going to put one of those 'Is This a Bait Bike?' stickers on my bike. Great idea!
    Time to design our own!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The notion that theft is the fault of the vermin scum theives, and not the victim, is just silly. That being said, bikes apparently are ridiculously easy to steal off a rack, and I would never leave mine on a rack in public out of my sight.

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Sorry to hear about your bikes, that's a crappy way to end a good trip.
    And to the3880, your logic is so messed up I'm not sure where to even start. "my fault, not the thief's" Yes, there are things we can do to reduce opportunities and make things harder to steal, however IT'S STILL THE THIEVES FAULT!! Using your logic if a woman wears a short skirt and is then a victim of a sexual assault then its her fault. That's absolutely ridiculous. The problem is society keeps giving thieves a pass and not holding them accountable for their actions. Crazy

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by akstormin View Post
    Sorry to hear about your bikes, that's a crappy way to end a good trip.
    And to the3880, your logic is so messed up I'm not sure where to even start. "my fault, not the thief's" Yes, there are things we can do to reduce opportunities and make things harder to steal, however IT'S STILL THE THIEVES FAULT!! Using your logic if a woman wears a short skirt and is then a victim of a sexual assault then its her fault. That's absolutely ridiculous. The problem is society keeps giving thieves a pass and not holding them accountable for their actions. Crazy
    This ^
    If only we could put up security cameras in the parking areas. But I heard this has been tried and was apparently an invasion of privacy.

Yeah!
    The point of my post is not to be a dick or a smartass. Its to point out that you live in a world where a small percent of people are going to do bad things.
    Do you really think the person that just lost two bikes needs to be reminded that there are people that would steal bikes? No matter your intent, that is both callous and narcissistic.
    When you leave expensive things visible in the open sometimes they get taken by folks who want your bike more than you.
    Again with the callous narcissism, and you throw out a false claim to place blame on the victim as well. I can guarantee there is no way in hell the thief wants those bikes more than the owners. We ride our bikes because we love them. Thieves steal bikes because they want money. They do not want the bikes at all, and only use them as a means to acquire something else.
    Honestly were you reallly surprised when youre bike wasnt there?
    The OP never expressed surprise. This statement is veiled assertion that the OP an idiot for not realizing the bikes were not secure from theft. If you do not realize this, I suggest some serious introspection, because you are coming off as being either a smartass or a dick.
    The couple times Ive had a bike stolen here or a car broken into in hawaii, when I got back and discovered what happened, my first thought was yep, I kind of asked for that to happen by leaving stuff where and how it was easy to take. My fault, not the thiefs.
    Your experience was yours alone, you can't project it onto another person, no matter how much better it makes you feel about yourself. Just because you came away feeling the fault was your own does not mean the OP was at fault for the theft of the bikes. The only people that must shoulder the blame are the theives and all that support them by taking the bikes off their hands.
    Locks only keep honest people honest, and since honest people generally dont steal bikes, its fairly unlikely that a lock will dissuade someone who is inclined to take a bike in the first place.
    It's also likely that having the bikes inside the vehicle will not dissuade theivery as well. Neither will leaving them at home. At the end of the day, theft is a calculated risk LIKE THE OP STATED, and there is nothing more to do than to determine the amount of risk you are willing to take and the amount of money you are willing to spend to mitigate it, then hope for the best and have a backup plan when the best doesn't occur.

Telling the OP he was at fault was unproductive and false claim that served only to facilitate negative thought. If I ever have my gut ripped out by a thief and report it here in the hope that someone might come across my bikes, please do post in my thread.

OP: You're doing it right. I was able to recover a stolen phone by dredging the net. Be sure to monitor Craigslist ads for several hundred miles around the theft location.
    I will suffer no butt-hurt fools!

sluice box
    @Sadj-If I see anything down in Girdwood I'll let you or APD know.
    @the3880- I hope you forever ride alone, get a life.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I will keep a eye out. Shared it on FB also.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Thank you guys for the support, the exposure and for keeping an eye out on the trails!
    "Pain Doesn't Hurt."

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Damn, more theft, unsure exactly where but from a locked roof rack...

STOLEN**2 Specialized full suspension mountain bikes

mtbr member
    Time for a meeting with Chief Mew to get this business taken care of. I do think a sting is in order.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AKPeach View Post
    Time for a meeting with Chief Mew to get this business taken care of. I do think a sting is in order.
    I find it hard to believe that cameras are not allowed. I've heard that the BLM has them at the Campbell Airstrip parking lot. A buddy of mine lost his wallet to a car break in at Kinkaid about a month ago after a Saturday night ride. A camera would have a least identified the vehicle the bastards used (doubt bikes). I totally support a sting, too. There can't be many crews working the parking lots. Get a few and it would send a strong message, I think. I'm not really sure what the police do in Anchorage, though. Drive around mostly. I have never seen a patrol in Kinkaid.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had a game cam up for a week at the raspberry lot last year and was told Per Brad and Scott the Chalet managers that I was to take it down immediately as it violated privacy. I still have the cam and and the MOA & APD wont do anything so I will put it up tonight maybe we can get some picts that will help.

sluice box
    No Muni Codes against game cameras on public property that I could find, after searching Title 8 Penal Code, 8.45.010 Trespass.
    I did find that in the code on 8.10.020(b) stalking that you can not use a game cam to
    “B. A person commits the crime of stalking if the person knowingly engages in a course of conduct that recklessly places another person in fear of death or physical injury, or in fear of the death or physical injury of a family member.
    4. Non-consensual contact means any contact with another person that is initiated or continued without that person's consent, that is beyond the scope of the consent provided by that person, or that is in disregard of that person's expressed desire that the contact be avoided or discontinued. The term "non-consensual contact" includes, but is not limited to:
    i. Using, installing, or attempting to use or install a device for observing, recording, or photographing events occurring in the residence, vehicle, or workplace used by that person, or on the personal electronic device or equipment used by that person.”

sluice box
    Also good on Title 25 Public Lands no mention of game cameras as a Prohibited Conduct 25.70 or General Provisions 25.10.

Bikes are good
    Seems like we have some smart people on board with a sting operation. We should pick a day to meet, and try one out during a time when stuff gets stolen. Probably should make a plan that keeps anyone from getting shot, or beat up and gets the potential thieves in trouble. To get them in the most trouble, probably have to let them actually rip the bikes off and drive away with them. I don't have a cheap enough but good enough bike to donate for that cause I guess. Let's get this plan moving though. You are right, there are probably only a couple of these bad guys, and if the word gets around there are crazies like us hiding in the bushes maybe it will curb some of their arrogance and slow down the thefts.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    You guys are awesome! Game cams and In-the-bushes stake-outs! LOL. I love it. In fact, I'd fly back up there just to participate! But I need some of that DEET... dang your mosquitos suck! Literally.
    "Pain Doesn't Hurt."

Elitest thrill junkie
    We need to have people to volunteer with binocs/spotting scope. I have no problem doing this if I have nothing major going on. Relying on cameras is good if you get the pics, a game-camera may not really be a great idea at this point based on where it'd have to be mounted. A go-pro running inside the car (rear shelf in back of rear seats) might work well, combined with spotters. Spotters can ID the perps, take down the license plate and make written statements as to what they saw, plus they can call while it's happening, will be as good as any video. Then another person "tails" the thieves far back to provide any additional info if needed until the cops arrest.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

Bikes are good
    Does anyone have a bike/bikes that look steal worthy they'd donate for this project? I have a nice frame, shock and fork. If we can slop it together I'd donate it.

sluice box
    Great Mtn. Bike!
    Picture from the internet, little info on the bike and cheap.
    Last edited by Co-opski; 07-11-2014 at 11:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Two things: first, as a bit of an expert on crime prevention — I literally have a Ph.D. in exactly that — saying that it's a good idea to avoid providing opportunities for thieves is not the same thing as saying it's ok for thieves to steal. It's also not the same thing as saying it's the victim's fault.

Second, there has definitely been a spike in thefts from auto at Kincaid recently. You can see the data for yourself at RAIDS Online: Regional Analysis and Information Sharing (search for Anchorage, sorry I can't provide a deep link directly to Kincaid, but you can find it easily). APD is aware of it. The trouble is there isn't enough of a pattern to set up an effective sting.

Unfortunately, that means the most effective method for theft prevention is to remind folks that thieves can cut most locks extraordinarily quickly, much as they can break car windows very quickly, and to remind potential victims to avoid leaving their valuables unguarded.

[Edit: I would not suggest setting up a sting yourselves, but if you do, please don't confront the thieves — and please talk to the cops first. Lt. Garry Gilliam, who commands the Community Action Policing team, would be a good contact: 786-8647.]

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Might be worth checkin out?

Great Mtn. Bike!

mtbr member
    A friend just had a Trek mountain bike stolen from his garage and the police told him that finding stolen bikes isn't one of their priorities.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by AKPeach View Post
    A friend just had a Trek mountain bike stolen from his garage and the police told him that finding stolen bikes isn't one of their priorities.
    That would make me mad too. Unfortunately, recovering stolen property isn't much of a priority for any police department. Turns out, recovering stolen property is very difficult in nearly every situation — in most cases even if the police could put infinite effort into solving a theft, they still wouldn't have enough information to solve the crime and recover the goods.

Bikes are good
    I wouldn't confront the thieves for two reasons.

1) They might have a gun and shoot me.

2) I might beat them into a coma and that wouldn't look good on my resume.

We'd be inconspicuous, follow at a distance and tell the cops where they are going. Get license plate numbers and vehicle descriptions. If they noticed and confronted us we could leave them be and at that point hope the cops find them and the decoy nice bike that nobody has offered up yet. (Maybe we can decorate one to make it look like a 3k bike. Put some fox stickers on a crap fs bike from costco or something?

When stuff gets stolen, it's usually lost. The dude that had his bikes stolen from the school and actually got them back was smart about tracking them down, but also pretty lucky.

Enjoy every ride. We just did a real crappy one with a lot of bushwhacking and it was still rad to be on my bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I may be wrong, but I would think that most of the "smash and grab" or bike stealing incidents are cases where the thief is already in the parking lot when the person arrives and then heads out on the trail. That way, the thief would know they have time to do their work before the person would return. If they just drove by and went to break into a car or steal a bike off the rack, they would have no way to know if the person was 10 seconds from walking out into the parking lot.

I know that I make a point to look around as I am arriving in an area and take not of any "suspicious" vehicles or people just hanging out. If I see something that I think is a bit off, I might head out on the trail, then double back and just take a quick look to see if that person is doing something they shouldn't be. It really pays to be aware of your surroundings.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Yeah, but look at the odds, if a bike is sitting there and it only takes 20s to cut the lock and take, odds are good they'll get away w/it if they just happen upon it while the person is out doing whatever it is. They might be there waiting, but it could be just as if not more lucrative to "cruise".
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Also cell phones has made it alot easier to keep look or to call your buddy to help you with your crime.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Just a thought for the bait bike idea...

PocketFinder Review 2014 - TopTenREVIEWS

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Yeah, but look at the odds, if a bike is sitting there and it only takes 20s to cut the lock and take, odds are good they'll get away w/it if they just happen upon it while the person is out doing whatever it is. They might be there waiting, but it could be just as if not more lucrative to "cruise".
    Exactly. Most criminals aren't Moriarty — they're opportunists. (There is a reason "opportunity makes the thief" is a saying.)

My question is where are these jerks fencing the stolen bikes... Craigslist is a likely place, but given how small the biking community is around here that could be a bit dangerous to sell a stolen high end bike there. I wonder if they're selling to a local fence who is shipping them to Seattle...

Bikes are good
    That would be a good thing to have stashed away in your frame somewhere. So my gerbil wheel is rolling.

anchskier is right. I think there are dudes that scope an area for a while with tools ready to go. If we sent a vehicle, had those people go in someplace tool around and disappear for awhile. They'd be the stake out team. Cue 2nd vehicle with dope bikes locked to a rack and have them totally disappear into someplace. (I'm thinking the mall by REI, but this could be a trailhead too.)

Doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but maybe if there is some fear out there that there are crazies like us staking out parking lots, bikes would get stolen less. Maybe.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A thief is a thief looking for and opportunity, they are a thief first, so when they get the opportunity they have no moral issue with taking your stuff. This is a way of life for them, so they look for opportunities and have the tools of the trade with them. This makes them very hard to catch. My suggestion would to be vigilant about your surroundings if there is something odd maybe a car that looks out of place get the license plate number call the police with it or just people hanging out call police.
    They have bike trackers that is a small GPS make to find your bike when it gets ripped off. If you are going to do a bait bike thing that might work better than the camera thing. I would talk to the police first before you did anything.
    Our prosecutor’s office here suck, they are total worthless, if the police will work with you most likely the prosecutor will do very little to nothing. This is one of the reason police have very little interest in pursuing anything like this. Yes, I do have experience with this type of thing. I have been through the whole thing with police and prosecutors, but not the sting part. The police charged the guy with multiple felonies and multiple misdemeanors the prosecutors plead it down to a misdemeanor, the guy walked with time severed waiting for court. I spent a lot time chasing down this guy, talking to the police, going to all the hearings and the pawn shops to get my stuff back. Just to have the prosecutors not do their job, the police where great they wanted to make it happen an helped as much as possible. This guy had a couple of pages of convictions from attempted murder on a police officer to simple theft. I protested at the sentencing to the judge, he told me the prosecutor tied his hands on the sentencing. The prosecutor would not talk to me he sent his office assent out to talk to me.
    I do not want to discourage you, but you may spend a lot of time and be very frustrated by the process. I ride in the BLM and the hillside single track a lot, the parking lot at smoke jumper use to be cover in glass from all the break ins. After they installed the cameras there, still a few break-ins but not like before. Another suggestion would to talk to the assembly person for that area and see if they could come up with funding and means to install cameras. Just my experience and suggestions, good luck I love to see people trying to make a difference.

sluice box
    Another suggestion would to talk to the assembly person for that area
    and your area.
    Also CC Mr Chief Mew’s office with all assembly communications. This will give you at least a chance at a response to your inquiry, and less likely to be blown off.

mtbr member
    Rode my road bike to Kincaid last night and was waiting to use the porta-potty when Dan Coffey approached me. I told him I was waiting to use the porta-potty. I also told him I would use the restroom inside except that I didn't want my bike to get stolen, as there are lots of bikes being stolen at Kincaid. He offered to hold my bike and could be trusted since he is 'running for mayor'. It didn't phase him that bikes were being stolen, but he took advantage of getting some publicity out of it and handing out lots of his 'cards' with his name, etc.

On the subject of cameras, fake cameras do wonders. Used them at our pool once when I was the president of our HOA. It cut down the vandalism in a heart beat. They are cheap too, and work as long as no one knows they are fake.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I was going to do that at a job site we was having trouble with break ins, post signs and fake cameras. Got a talking to from the corporations legal department that we were working for, they said we could get sued for doing that. They were pretty short about it and I did not ask how just took them at their word. But I am not a lawyer.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by exp18 View Post
    I was going to do that at a job site we was having trouble with break ins, post signs and fake cameras. Got a talking to from the corporations legal department that we were working for, they said we could get sued for doing that. They were pretty short about it and I did not ask how just took them at their word. But I am not a lawyer.
    Yes, we got that also from the real estate attorney but we did it anyway and it worked. I guess it may have had something to do with if something really happened and then their isn't any footage. We even hung a sign that said 'video surveillance'. Even just a sign might help. But, when you are on private property, BLM property, etc., kind of hard to do that.

I do think we need to set up some type of sting to at least scare the crap out of some of these theft rings.

While riding last night, I found myself looking at bikes on the trail, especially ones that I didn't think the person would actually buy or own. I've never looked at people and bikes that way but I am now.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sad but true, thieves take a lot more than property that is what upsets me the most.

mtbr member
    Found this while searching for another sticker.....contemplating getting it.

Sticker #273: There's A Special Place In Hell For Bike .. | Microcosm Publishing