bike to werk- Mtbr.com

Thread: bike to werk

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

bike to werk

I have made myself bike to work 2 days in a row. I loaded all my crap up in the panniers on Monday night and when I woke up I was hoping it was raining so I wouldn't have to ride. Tuesday I actually said screw it and climbed back into bed and then I was like "no don't be a fizz*****" and I got back up a couple minutes later. It was a little easier today...hopefully tomorrow will be even easier.

I usually like to go from Lake Otis, up around Merrill Field, across 5th and down Reeve to the gate down there, but that doesn't open until 6 so when I have to go in early I have to go to the Boniface gate. FYI...Northern Lights to Boniface sucks. The sidewalk/bikepath (?) cuts off in certain sections for some unknown reason and there's a lot of glass amongst the winter accumulation of gravel. I'm still running my studs and I've been lucky not to get a flat. I need to stick my Schwalbe bombproof touring tires on soon.

I used to ride to work almost everyday in Italy...it was a nice 26K ride (with an espresso stop) with minimal traffic (and very nice drivers). I miss those days.

Anyone else have some commuting stories?

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    I'm still running my studs and I've been lucky not to get a flat.
    Oooooh. I can't believe you typed those words. Hope you have a spare tube on the way home tonight!
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Dec 2007
    WOW you rode in ITALY, and now you have to commute here?? no wonder you want to stay in bed!!! i do feel sorry for you and i would make sure my passport was always up to date and ready for escape mode! i moved up here from indy, when the snow was gone the road bikes were on!! up here we have summer, fall, winter, and GRAVEL! season. i get really happy to see those trucks out right now sweeping the gravel up!!
    moday, while returning home from paramount cycles i ended up behind 3 of these trucks sweeping southport road. there was a long line of cars waiting to pass, but i was in no hurry. they were a beautiful sight to me and i know i was the happiest driver there!! if they would have stopped i would have got out of my car and thanked them all. right now, they're my heros!!!
    Last edited by georgejetson; 04-03-2008 at 07:29 PM.

mtbr member

Great job!

You really hit it with that moment of wanting to stay in bed... but knowing how great the ride will be...such a struggle

My personal goal when commuting: avoid motorist - longer ride on trails always better than direct route with sleepy, make-up applying, two cell phones and smoking (no bs, saw this yesterday with babies on board) commuters...

Suggested route: Chester Creek Trail east - "goose lake bridge": over Northern Lights Blvd. North until back across Northern Lights Blvd. on "russian jack springs bridge" (east of East High School) and then you have two choices - you can express and cross into Mountain View (over the glenn hwy) on Mc Carrey bridge by going straight and then to the Boni' Gate on bike trail across Mt View Drive.

- or take the trail through Russian Jack , under Debarr in a tunnel and pop out very close to the Boni' gate... Still gott to cross the Highway Bridge here
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    I have been pedaling to work for about a month now... I wouldn't really call it a commute because it's only a mile. I was being stupid one morning and off in kathy-land instead of paying attention to the wet ice... so you know what happened. I laughed the entire 30 foot slide down the road and a wee bit thankful no cars were coming. I learned I must pay attention and not sing my little bike ride songs on the ice... and maybe to get some studded tires

So, how does everyone get their groceries home? I miss going to the store once a week for groceries. I have to ride to the store every few days and load up my backpack. Anybody have any ideas or tips?

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by kat71
    So, how does everyone get their groceries home? I miss going to the store once a week for groceries. I have to ride to the store every few days and load up my backpack. Anybody have any ideas or tips?
    You're probably already doing the best thing. If you really want to haul a load, I recommend a BOB trailer. Just don't expect your potato chips to survive.

That's OK. They taste fine with a spoon, it's just a little harder to get the dip on 'em.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Dec 2006
    Awsome thought this post would be under the commuting session but eh... I had it with Anchorage dwivers they don't know how to drive at all perhaps there should be a cyclists driving school with teaching carnosaur dwivers to drive and treat cyclists as other commuters... This summer I'll be riding to work in some far off distance... hopefully away from people that eat their breakfast while driving (saw this the Monday in a school zone with kids running to school what a shame) Seems like Anchorage just isn't a bicycling friendly city (If carnosaur dwivers stop shooting paintballs and bullets at riders I may come back.)

Dec 2007
    depending on what kinda bike you have and what your willing to put on it, there are a few companies that make groc bags to fit on rear racks. any shop can steer you in the right direction. i have a surly (long haul trucker) set up just for groc runs and commuting. it has a surly "nice rack" in the rear and a paul components "flat bed" for the front of the bike. go to www.paulcomp.com for a look at the flat bed. this rack will hold up to 25lb, good for light stuff (like milk, etc.) and the rear rack will hold up to 80lbs. it does help to have a dedicated rig for this, otherwise you may be stuck w/ the back pack. hope this helps.

geo.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by kat71

I have some REI panniers that can fit 2 paper grocery bags or a Yakima Big Tow (if I need more).

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

@adelorenzo
    My ride to work is the high point of my day. It all goes downhill from there.

I had my own incident on the ice yesterday. Not paying attention, wiped out and l and ended up bouncing off my pedal pretty hard. Miraculously stayed upright on the bike but I bent my drive-side crank arm.

I use the giant Wald delivery basket on my commuter. It'll haul a pretty decent load of groceries, or six growlers from the local brewery.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Yeah right ! I can see myself trying these wonderful techniques on my commute to work via Tudor Road. I would get creamed the first day. People in this town simply do not watch out for cyclist or pedestrians for that matter. This is one of the reasons I have held out on getting a road bike for so long.

Beware of Doggerel

Comuterrific

Commuting has been 90% of my riding for the last year, and it just makes my day each and every time. I agree though on the morning thing. Man, hate getting on that bike in the morning, almost as much as I hate driving. But the ride home always makes it all worth it. I work late and I love cruising through the streets and bike paths in middle of the nignt/early A.M. hours.

Every day I don't ride I really regret it. So whenever I don't feel like riding in the morning I just remind myself how much I miss it on the days I don't ride.

This is a good thread, no gear or chi chi bike talk ya know...

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Commuting has been 90% of my riding for the last year, and it just makes my day each and every time. I agree though on the morning thing. Man, hate getting on that bike in the morning, almost as much as I hate driving. But the ride home always makes it all worth it. I work late and I love cruising through the streets and bike paths in middle of the nignt/early A.M. hours.

Every day I don't ride I really regret it. So whenever I don't feel like riding in the morning I just remind myself how much I miss it on the days I don't ride.

This is a good thread, no gear or chi chi bike talk ya know...

Adam
    Hey Adam,what kinda brakes you using?
    I couldn't resest
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    thanks for all the great tips... i like the flat bed but I have front suspension and only one bike. I have a 29er so I think I am stuck with the backpack for a while.

Oh yeah... and I live off of Tudor and there is one thing that will help with the commute. A pink helmet...

Members who have read this thread: 0