Bike tour- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike tour

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Bike tour

Hi,

I'm considering riding the Denali Highway (route 8 between Paxson to Cantwell) in September and I'm wondering about general road and weather conditions. I know it is weeks away but any insight is appreciated.

I'm planning a bike tour starting in early September from Haines, to Denali NP, and Anchorage. It looks like I should expect average low temperatures in the 20's F through September and 10's F in October.

Thanks.

Diaskeuast
    Be prepared for chilly temps, and make sure you can stay dry and warm if the weather gets bleak. It's autumn up there in September. Should be beautiful if the weather's nice. You'll also have company: You're going during hunting season, so the pickup and four-wheeler crowd might give you some competition for camping spots beside the road.

Also, if you're leaving from Haines that late in the year, you should be prepared for snow at higher elevations by the time you reach the Interior. The road in Denali N.P. has been closed by snow in mid-September.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Thanks. I am debating between taking trail hikers and full leather boots as a second set of shoes to the mtb shoes with booties. Now I'm leaning toward the boots. Gators might help too.

Would a weather radio get much reception? I'm thinking I can keep updated just by talking to people in the towns.

Fewer mosquitoes in September it sounds like.

Diaskeuast
    I have no idea about weather radio reception. Never tried to use one up there. But unless you're covering serious ground each day, you'll likely have gaps of a day or two when you're not in a town. I'd just plan for the weather to suck, then rejoice if it doesn't.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Yeah, I'm preparing myself for days of cold, rainy, headwinds and deep cold nights.

Members who have read this thread: 0