Bike shop owners, beware this scam.- Mtbr.com
    FatBike Fiend

Bike shop owners, beware this scam.

I get about three of these emails a week, usually from Singapore, Indonesia, or Nigeria.

Original Message:
    -----------------
    Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2008 09:23:47 +0700
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: International Inquiries

Dear Sir or Madam,

Please allow me to introduce myself to you, my name is (name omitted), I am writing to enquire for looking a business partner , and we hope too we'll have a good cooperation with your company.
    Please let me know if you could accommodate and do a business with us.
    Is it possible to ship to Singapore with fedEX,UPS or DHL delivery Express ? And Do you accept credit card to complete order payment ?
    Please specify credit card type which acceptable to complete the payment.

Thanks, Your prompt reply will be greatly appreciated and I Hope we can do the business in the near future !!
    Look forward to your reply!

Yours faithfully,
    Name omitted
    Singapore

Reply:

Dear Sir,

Allow me to understand your request.

1. You order merchandise from my business and pay with a credit card number. Of course, your taste is impeccable, money is no object, and you want only the finest bicycles, parts and accessories.

2. You of course desire the shipment sent with all possible haste.

3. I take the merchandise out of my inventory, box it, and send it Express, charging the freight costs to the credit card number provided. The card number goes through fine and is accepted.

4. You receive my merchandise and sell it on the black market.

5. One month later, I am informed by my card service company that the credit card number used was stolen, the real card holder has refused payment, and the funds have been deducted directly from my account in a charge back.

6. You get my valuable merchandise at no cost, while I pay for it three times, once at wholesale, once at retail, and once again at wholesale to replace the items in addition to my paying all the freight costs myself.

Please explain further how I can benefit from this "valuable business partnership" of which you speak.

Wildfire Designs

Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

Caveman
    Mark funny reply - usually mine start with F and end with off.
    this is like the classic scam that plagues Craigslist.

Dec 2006
    Why bother responding... how do they get your email in the first place? I only started getting spam recently after having joined the mtbr circuit... not implying anything but before I came here I recieved about one of these a year which of course gets flagged. BTW how do you know where these people are spamming from anyway they were smart enough to get a card number X and use it in such a manner to not get caught... I will not guess where these people are spamming from but I bet about half the time or more that the origin of the message is not anywhere near what the message says.

Members who have read this thread: 0