Bike Polo League- Mtbr.com

Poll: Would you be interested in joining a Bike Polo League? Perhaps even a Coed Team!

Jul 2006

Bike Polo League

I thought I would put out some feelers and see what the general consensus is.

After being introduced to the wonderful game of Bike Polo, I got into thinking how much fun it would be if we had a Bike Polo league in Anchorage. So I started looking around sent out a few emails and made a few phone calls. Low and behold I got a hold of the U.S. Bike Polo Association. Yes that is correct there is a Bike Polo association!

I was thinking on having a Summer/Fall league with organized teams and scheduled games. Your thoughts and feedback are encouraged.
    Last edited by aka bubba; 10-29-2007 at 05:01 PM.

Beware of Doggerel
    I voted Yes. But really my vote is “Yes but”.

Leagues and teams seem really cool. But some of the rules listed on that web site seem pretty lame, especially if the games start to turn into arguments over fouls etc. I don’t think I’ve even paid attention to the score at any of the games yet. Right now the rules are real simple, “don’t put your foot down”. And for me the whole contact thing is a big part of my “strategy”. I think of the game as more of a type of bike hockey than bike polo and I’d hate to loose that, if anything needs to change I would lean more in the direction of introducing alcohol into the game than formalizing the rules. But that’s just me.

So yeah I think a league and teams would be good, but lets not get too serious about the whole thing.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

mtbr member
    I like the idea of a league.. having separate teams and keeping score, but yeah, the real bike polo rules make for a different game and my favorite part about polo is being rammed by and ramming others with my bike. I think it'd be useful to adopt some of the official rules, but make it like an ultimate polo league or something

Jul 2006
    I could not agree with you more. I am all for keeping it simple and straight forward. The rules on the web site are just a guideline and will be tailored to our needs. I love the way we have been playing and the idea behind forming a league in my opinion is to create a structure so that we can have a scheduled season with multiple teams.

Wood chips are stupid
    me too
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    I voted Yes. But really my vote is “Yes but”.

Leagues and teams seem really cool. But some of the rules listed on that web site seem pretty lame, especially if the games start to turn into arguments over fouls etc. I don’t think I’ve even paid attention to the score at any of the games yet. Right now the rules are real simple, “don’t put your foot down”. And for me the whole contact thing is a big part of my “strategy”. I think of the game as more of a type of bike hockey than bike polo and I’d hate to loose that, if anything needs to change I would lean more in the direction of introducing alcohol into the game than formalizing the rules. But that’s just me.

So yeah I think a league and teams would be good, but lets not get too serious about the whole thing.

Adam
    are you at work?
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Beware of Doggerel

Bonking ... not feelin' well

Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    are you at work?
    Yep

Its only 7:52 pm why would I leave early???
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Caveman
    as long as I can still act like a 4yr old its all good to me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    What is they say about mountain bikers being chronically unorganisized or something? I'd think you'd be pretty hard-pressed to get an official bike polo league together but if you can pull it off, more power to you. I'm there. I also like Adam's suggestion of adding alcohol to the equation...it was meant to be.

In the interim, is the inaugaral polo season over so soon? Darkness is upon us but I thought the game on the hockey rink went pretty well and many of the rinks are lighted (Sullivan Arean, Inlet View I think). It's not like anyone is ever playing roller hockey on them. I think one of the rinks by Sullivan actually serves as a bike/skate park. Anyone, Bueller?

Members who have read this thread: 0