Bike Case??- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bike Case??

Ologist

Bike Case??

Does anyone have a bike case for sale or rent that I could use for the last week in September?
    Last edited by Valhalla; 08-10-2007 at 06:20 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Sorry

Mine will be with me en-route to Tahoe that weekend. Last big race of the season.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Get a free bike box from your local shop

I just took a couple bikes to CO that way and it worked fine. The price was right.

Caveman
    I have one, PM me.

No, that's not phonetic
    Going to Interbike? We're using ours. Trico Iron Cases lay flat in the back of a Cessna 185 if you take the back seats out, if anyone cares.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Ologist
    Thanks for all of the offers - I think I got a hard case from Stroganof.

I have used boxes before, but in my experience it can be hit or miss depending on the baggage handlers, etc.

mtbr member
    This is a great deal! You need to call them and work on them to get it shipped to AK, but still a great case for the $$$.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/155...-w_-Wheels.htm
    Save the Trails: http://www.imba.com

Ologist
    Haven't had any experience with the padded bags. Do you think they are durable enough for today's baggage handlers??

mtbr member
    Price Point / Sette seems to think that it will. I have one ordered, but is being shipped to family in the lower 48. I will check it next time I am down there. From what I can gather it has pretty good padding. Just worried about today's baggage tossers tweaking a wheel. Not much else can get damaged if one were to pack it carefully... Just my 2 cents...

Caveman
    I used a totally unpadded cordura bag linned with cardboard once and it withstood a 5-leg trip. No damage at all.

Although it was my heavily weathered and abused karate monkey. I'd probably have differnet feelings doing that with a FS-rig with nice paint.

The key is to tape everything so nothing moves and to use soft stuff like tires, bags, bike shoes etc to pad key areas like the head set, and have something to pad the big chainring, and remove the rear deraillier to prevent the hanger from getting bent.

The nice thing about the bags is that its easier to avoid the excess luggage fees. Typically as soon as a handler see a nice and big hard shell case its an extra $50-$75 easy.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Haven't had any experience with the padded bags. Do you think they are durable enough for today's baggage handlers??
    I use a hard case, and I've looked out of airport terminal windows to see my box at the bottom of a pile of luggage on the tarmac trolley. I've never used a soft bag, because I'm afraid to. In addition to Bearbait's packing suggestions, I also recommend taking care to protect the rear derailleur. (Doh! Bearbait addressed the rear derailleur. My tip is below anyway.)

My case was designed for a road bike, so a big FS mountain bike frame is a tight fit anyway. I always unbolt the derailleur from the frame, then roll it between the rear dropouts and tape it in place.

Another little trick I use to reinforce the back end of the frame against luggage piles is to place a threaded rod in the dropouts, just like a wheel axle. I keep it in place with a washer and wingnut on each side of each dropout. You can buy all the parts at Lowe's for less than $10. You'll just have to use a hacksaw to cut down the threaded rod to the length you need.
    Last edited by Big Karma; 08-23-2007 at 04:16 PM. Reason: Crappy attention span

Caveman
    yeah.. it depends on the bike, obviously a carbon road bike needs more protection than a Ti hardtail mtb.

Even though I have a hard case, I think that if you use a bag and pad key areas like mentioned above and do things which will spread loads out, then the bike can take it. Its really just a piece of metal anyway...

ohh I'm gonna catch some flack for that one!

hard cases are also big and bulky to store when you're not using them etc etc bla bla bla..

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Bike Pro Soft Case

I use a Bike Pro soft case and have not had any problems through a good number of trips. It has a rigid steel frame in the bottom to clamp the front fork and bottom bracket to with a curve in the back to protect the rear deraileur (I still take mine off for added protection). The front fork is protected by the mount, the rear has a plastic spacer that slips in the dropouts to hold the spacing. The soft case allows for some amount of flexibility with different size bikes (i.e. my TT bike fits no probem, but my FS mtn bike bulges up the top a bit). There is about 4" foam around the middle portion of the sides and about 2" around the rest. I add water pipe insulation (split tubes of insulation) around the frame members to protect from any possible point impacts.

I have watched out the window to see my TT bike be thrown about 10' onto the luggage bin. That wasn't all that bad as it had a fairly smooth landing. It was the hard shell golf bag that was the next thing off that got thrown on top of the bag, solid hit, that worried me. Ended up with no damage at all despite that impact right on the Zip wheels. I have learned not to look out the window since I really don't want to see what they are doing with the bags. Now I just do a quick cursury check before I leave the airport to make sure nothing looks bad.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Several years ago I packed a bike in a box from the LBS using extra padding and 1/4 plywood in critical areas. The box arrived with holes through the box and one of the axles had been driven (forced) almost through the plywood that had been used to protect the hubs. It was obvious the box was subjected to rough handling and abuse.

Since then I've used a hard case and have never a problem. The airlines have only charged me for the oversized case about half the time, which seems to be a function of how busy they are when I check in. I've always been able to arrange for a hotel to hold the case until I get back.

I've also observed large flat baggage on the bottom of the stack and I've also watched baggage of all kinds get dropped onto the ramp from the aircraft or off the side of the loader.

Given my experience and what I've observed, I wouldn't trust the soft sided cases being marketed for transporting a bicycle. A well packed cardboard bike box using the precautions already given would be better, based on what I've seen laterly.
    --
    Curt Harris
    Anchorage, AK
    [email protected]

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    I have one, PM me.

PM'ed you

Members who have read this thread: 0