Bike Boxes "Trek Madone Style"- Mtbr.com
    HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Bike Boxes "Trek Madone Style"

I've read a few different places that mention Trek Madones come in a nice, reinforced cardboard box with extra padding, blah, blah (and a free vial of EPO).

Where is the best shop to get something like this? Are the other high-end bikes in town coming in similar boxes? I need something to fit my 56cm Long Haul Trucker (with racks) in and get it on an airplane.

I could just reinforce a regular one, but I'm lazy and hate going to Home Depot.

Diaskeuast
    Just keep driving by Manny's house on trash pick-up day. The way he's buying bikes, an empty Madone box should appear on his sidewalk sooner or later.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Dec 2006
    hmmm... I'd say just ride your bike to the place you want to go to but... I think there are some nice boxes on ebay some hard cover suitcase type... I still have my LHT box if you want it I also have a rim box from DT Swiss from when I got my wheel they were going to be recycled anyways but could be cut to put around a bicycle... (my roommate keeps the boxes in the garage for some unknown reason)

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    What size did you get? If you are just going to recycle the LHT box I'd take it off your hands.

mtbr member

rentals?

Some trips require desposable boxes (point to point) but if you are flying out of where you started, and have a friendly place to stash it, you may want to rent a proper hard case bike-box. I know that Chain Reaction has a bunch of bike boxes in the back .. maybe you could hash out a deal with them or another shop. Or perhaps a forum reader might lend ya one...
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    It would just be to Juneau. I could probably stash it somewhere. I could strap it to my bike and use it as a shelter.

mtbr member
    I have a place you may stash it in Juneau ( BF, old roomate, well known lobbyist) and stay your first night if wanted - any sponsors for "Dave's Big Brewery Bike Adventure" ? http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=400306

I noticed jamber is still logged on to this thread... can we get a sponsorship here?
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I know a couple people there...Jill and my wife also has a distant cousin (who I've never met) who lives there (she lived in Barrow for a couple years so she must be an interesting person!)

I'm thinking of timing it so I can hit the Haines Brewing Festival the end of next month.

Dec 2006
    Sorry Dave forgot to look for the box but I got a 56 cm frame

Members who have read this thread: 0