Bears, Bears and more BEARS!!!!!!- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

... and if we just ... Bears, Bears and more BEARS!!!!!!

I ended up riding solo today and guess what, BEARS!!!!!!!! I rode a bunch of the bog single track that we rode sat/sunday, can't remember which now. I was finishing up one of the new trails by the bog and there they were about 50ft away. It was a nice looking sow with 2 cubs. I stopped, they ran, I waited and watched them. They were going the way I needed to go so I headed on down the trail and hit the main trail and there they were again! A bit more distance this time.....VERY COOL! I went the other way this time and ended up on the other side of the bog. I started heading back to N. Bivouac trail head and I come up over a rise in the trail and I'll be [email protected] she is again! I stopped, the cubs went up trees and mom was realy checking me out. I slowly backed up never taking my eyes off her.......finally out of sight I took off, backtracked yet again and headed for home......WOW what a cool ride!!!!!!!!!! Oh, BUG spray RULES!
    Dave

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Dave the bear magnet

Quote Originally Posted by AkDave
    I ended up riding solo today and guess what, BEARS!!!!!!!! I rode a bunch of the bog single track that we rode sat/sunday, can't remember which now. I was finishing up one of the new trails by the bog and there they were about 50ft away. It was a nice looking sow with 2 cubs. I stopped, they ran, I waited and watched them. They were going the way I needed to go so I headed on down the trail and hit the main trail and there they were again! A bit more distance this time.....VERY COOL! I went the other way this time and ended up on the other side of the bog. I started heading back to N. Bivouac trail head and I come up over a rise in the trail and I'll be [email protected] she is again! I stopped, the cubs went up trees and mom was realy checking me out. I slowly backed up never taking my eyes off her.......finally out of sight I took off, backtracked yet again and headed for home......WOW what a cool ride!!!!!!!!!! Oh, BUG spray RULES!
    Dave
    Dave, remind me not to ride with you.....
    Pat

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

bug spray

i'm sure it was the bug spray, were your bear baiting ?
    i'm sorry i missed the experience !

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Dave, remind me not to ride with you.....
    Pat

Beware of Doggerel

Wow

Quote Originally Posted by AkDave
    Dave
    Wow sounds like you BEARly made it out of there. I agree the bugs are bad, I thought they were unBEARable the other day, well I don't mean to be a BOAR ... Glad you made it out okay seems like lots of bear sightings this year.
    Adam

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Eeeck!!!

Eeeck! I'm scared of bears! But, that won't keep me from coming to Anchorage - or riding the trails.

Were they black bears or grizzlies?

mtbr member

Smile Don't worry Kristine.......

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine
    Eeeck! I'm scared of bears! But, that won't keep me from coming to Anchorage - or riding the trails.

Were they black bears or grizzlies?
    These bears looked well fed and not hungry at all!!!!! They were black bears. There is a healthy population of black bears in the Anchorage bowl and are seen often during the summer. Be aware of your surrondings while riding. I see them far less when riding in a group as we normally are making much more noise. I was pretty quiet yesterday riding by myself.
    Dave

Caveman

whats in a name

hello hello,
    just for the record, I came up with my username a while back in about 2 seconds and didnt realize that it also refers to a horriable killing practice by some "hunters". If I could change it I would but looks like I'm stuck with it unless anyone knows the ins and outs of these mtbr setup pages.
    Anyway Dave, that is crazy. I didnt see a singe bear on the haul road, which was quite suprising!
    Ep

Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    hello hello,
    just for the record, I came up with my username a while back in about 2 seconds and didnt realize that it also refers to a horriable killing practice by some "hunters". If I could change it I would but looks like I'm stuck with it unless anyone knows the ins and outs of these mtbr setup pages.
    Anyway Dave, that is crazy. I didnt see a singe bear on the haul road, which was quite suprising!
    Ep
    Email Gregg the Moderator about changing your username..
    Thats who changed mine.

Oct 2004

blacks aint nutin

ive had 5 big grizzleis with tempures on the trails right outside my house. Charge 4 people already. No more bikin there for me

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by mitter h
    ive had 5 big grizzleis with tempures on the trails right outside my house. Charge 4 people already. No more bikin there for me
    What area is your house in?

Oct 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    What area is your house in?

mendenhall valley near the vistor center at the glacier.

Ologist
    Mmmm...sockeye and mountain bikers!!

Ologist
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait
    hello hello,
    Ep
    I don't necessarily make the connection with bear bait and bear baiting. I have always associated bear bait as being some unfortunate soul who couldn't outsmart or outmanuever bear (like the biker surprising a bear on a trail). Keep the name just don't live up to your namesake!

mtbr member
    Although, I'm a native Southern Californian and still live in the asphalt jungles. I was in the Army once station at Fort Wainwright from 1982-1984 and did run into the big furry ceatures while on training missions. But I just received this email:

The following pictures are of a guy who works for The US Forest Service in
    Alaska and his trophy bear. He was out deer hunting last week when a large
    grizzly bear charged him from about 50 yards away. The guy unloaded his
    7mm Mag Semi-automatic rifle into the bear and it dropped a few feet from him.

The big bear was still alive so he reloaded and shot it several times in
    the head. The bear was just over one thousand six hundred pounds. It
    stood 12' 6" high at the shoulder, 14' to the top of his head. It's the largest
    grizzly bear ever recorded in the world. Of course, the Alaska Fish and
    Wildlife Commission did not let him keep it as a trophy, but the bear will
    be stuffed and mounted, and placed on display at the Anchorage airport (to
    remind tourist's of the risks involved when in the wild).

Based on the contents of the bears stomach, the Fish and Wildlife
    Commission established the bear had killed at least two humans in the past 72 hours.
    His last meal was the unlucky nature buff in the third picture. The US
    Forest Service, backtracking from where the bear had originated, found the
    hiker's 38-caliber pistol emptied. Not far from the pistol was the
    remains of the hiker. The other body has not been found. Although the hiker fired
    six shots and managed to hit the grizzly with four shots (they ultimately
    found four 38 caliber slugs along with twelve 7mm slugs inside the bear's
    dead body) it only wounded the bear and probably angered it. The bear
    killed the hiker an estimated two days prior to the bear's own death by the gun
    of the Forest Service worker.

Think about this - If you are an average size man; You would be level
    with the bear's belly button when he stood upright, the bear would look you in
    the eye when it walked on all fours! To give additional perspective,
    consider that this particular bear, standing on its hind legs, could walk
    up to an average single story house and look over the roof, or walk up to a
    two story house and look in the bedroom windows.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Oi.. just

[snipped stuff]

While it's true that a big bear was killed by some hunters and someone, somewhere, got chewed on, they didn't happen together.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/bearhunt.asp

Members who have read this thread: 0