Bear in trail last night- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Bear in trail last night

A very large-looking (for a blackie) bear was laying across Lynx Trail yesterday afternoon at about 4:30 pm. It was spread out as flat as possible with nose pointing in the general direction of a loudly vocalizing squirrel (chipmunk?), which, in no uncertain terms, seemed to be giving the world a piece of it's mind. The thing seemed to be around 250-300 pounds in weight (the bear, not the squirrel) and appeared very healthy-looking. Suddenly suspicious of being discovered, the beast whipped it's head up nervously as though it had been caught with a paw in the honeypot, then bolted (if a bear with an such an enormous booty could bolt) away towards the airstrip. The tracks peeled off-trail about 20 yards from where initially spotted. Where there are black bears, brown bears aren't far behind. If that thing really was hunting squirrels, it is going to be hungry, so it's probably not a good idea to, say, go down to Rover's Run, unpack your skillet, Whisperlite stove and fry up a pound of bacon for an al fresco snack. Unless you take along enough to share.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Anyone see the ADN article this weekend about the guy getting treed by a black bear near Campbell Airstrip (http://www.adn.com/front/story/731860.html)? I wonder if it was the same bear?

mtbr member
    that was just me, I wiped out on my puglsey trying to ride through all that snow...I did see some tracks yesterday but wasn't too sure what they were...guess it is time to pull out my bear bell.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A nordic skier was chased on the Hillside trails by a black bear on Monday morning. No harm, no foul.....for now.

Members who have read this thread: 0