Bear on a moose kill, Campbell Airstrip road- Mtbr.com
Results 1 to 27 of 27
  1. #1

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    78

    Bear on a moose kill, Campbell Airstrip road

    The ADN is saying there's a bear on a moose kill at Botanical Gardens. Depending on which side of the gardens it is, that bear could be right beside Campbell Airstrip road.

    Keep yer eyes open as you run up and down there.

  2. #2

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    326
    now see, that's something to talk about.

    here is poseur filled b!tch a$$ SoCal, anytime someone sees a coyote, or a rattlesnake on the trail or there's poison oak on a trail, they gotta make a big noise about it. rush home to their computer and post about how scared they were at seeing this on the trail.

    "HEY MTBR-ITES!! I SEEN A COYOTE ON THE TRAIL!! ME!! I SAW'R IT!!"

    heinous.

    not that i'd move to alaska to ecape the poseury entrampments of a totally superficial vacuous culture. no, not even. i've been alaska. that summer was more than enough. too much, actually.. those women. they are more manly than most men down this way.

  3. #3
    Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Reputation: bones get broke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    983
    Now that, my hearty Alaskan friends, is how you come out of left field with a totally random rant.

    You got a link to the story or photos of the carnage?
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

  4. #4

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    78
    Sure 'nuff, here's a link to the story: http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/wildl...ry/536610.html

    But there's no carnage shots yet. If I see anything I'll put another link up here.

  5. #5
    Bikes are good
    Reputation: Elfbkr50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    855

    Or some Jack ace

    has nothing better to do but blog on a state forum, about a state he doesn't live in.

    THAT, is classic

    If you are lucky enough to be in AK again, you twit, run your mouth to someone's face.

  6. #6
    Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Reputation: bones get broke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by Elfbkr50
    has nothing better to do but blog on a state forum, about a state he doesn't live in.

    THAT, is classic

    If you are lucky enough to be in AK again, you twit, run your mouth to someone's face.
    If this was directed at me, then I'm sorry you feel that way. I earned enough stripes living up there for as long as I did and still retain enough friendships up there to warant posting here. Hell, I just bought my new 5Spot from R.T.R. over the phone.
    If it was directed at the half wit from CA then by all means, I'll hold him while you speedbag his scrote.

    Edit: Thanks for the link Nanuq, just read the story. You guys have nads of pure Titanium to be riding around there. I get bearanoid looking at the photos that tcheesy posts up, much less bombing through the woods amongst those monsters.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

  7. #7
    Bikes are good
    Reputation: Elfbkr50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    855

    Yeah dude...

    That, was definitely to the moron from California.

  8. #8

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    78
    I just rode up there at 8PM, the moose kill is up around the NORTH side of the gardens. No worries, Yogi is nowhere near the road.

  9. #9
    Wood chips are stupid
    Reputation: akdeluxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    779
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    If this was directed at me, then I'm sorry you feel that way. I earned enough stripes living up there for as long as I did and still retain enough friendships up there to warant posting here. Hell, I just bought my new 5Spot from R.T.R. over the phone.
    If it was directed at the half wit from CA then by all means, I'll hold him while you speedbag his scrote.

    Edit: Thanks for the link Nanuq, just read the story. You guys have nads of pure Titanium to be riding around there. I get bearanoid looking at the photos that tcheesy posts up, much less bombing through the woods amongst those monsters.

    never say you're sorry

    You never know,that guy could be living in the Hillside for all we know. Heck,some of the biggest douch bag posts I've seen on this site were from Alaskan posters..You are amazing,still rubbing Ricks sack all the way from Durango.

    I'll be down there in a couple of weeks. See ya then


    akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

    JT

  10. #10
    Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Reputation: bones get broke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    You are amazing,still rubbing Ricks sack all the way from Durango.

    I'll be down there in a couple of weeks. See ya then


    akdeluxe
    The deal I got from Rick was far and away the best deal I could have gotten on a new Spot. He was able to get the frame drop shipped to me direct from Turner and Sam was able to hook up soooper cheap shipping for the entire build kit, wheels and all.
    Plus, my arms are mad long and Rick deserves a little sack rub now and then.

    It sucks that you aren't comming down next week with MinisculeLaker we're gonna have a blast in Fruita and Moab.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

  11. #11
    Alaska Turner Mafia
    Reputation: EndoRando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by bones get broke
    It sucks that you aren't comming down next week with MinisculeLaker we're gonna have a blast in Fruita and Moab.
    It sucks I'm not comin' down. Sounds like a good time. I wish I would have had more notice. I just found out Nels even wanted me to come down for the THC. I could use the break from our constant muddy rides.

    Watch out for MiniLaker though, we've been climbin' and he's gonna be ready for ya. And he's really diggin' his new Spot! Here's a few shots from yesterday, climbing to ride up and over Hemlock Knob. He'd never ridden it and dug the backside downhill through the stunted spruces.

    Sorry for the hijack Nanuq.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

  12. #12

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15
    Uh, guys, did you miss the signage that says Hemlock Knob is for foot traffic only? That trail is not open to bikes.

  13. #13
    Bikes are good
    Reputation: Elfbkr50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    855

    missed the sign

    Because there isn't one.

    You are mistaken.

    There is a trail somewhere in there that says "foot traffic only." Hemlock Knob is not it.

    There is a sign on Wolverine, middle fork loop, Ballpark/Little O'malley, to Ship Pass. C'mon man, don't put imaginary signs in places. Already too many to ignore.

    Too bad Rick is in the lower 48 with the bike guru's of the country. He'd appreciate all of this stroking.

  14. #14

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15
    There is a sign at the intersection of Hemlock Knob and the Gasline. There is also a sign at the intersection of Hemlock Knob and Powerline. I will even take a nice little picture for you later when I go up there.

  15. #15
    Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Reputation: bones get broke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    It sucks I'm not comin' down. Sounds like a good time. I wish I would have had more notice. I just found out Nels even wanted me to come down for the THC. I could use the break from our constant muddy rides.

    Watch out for MiniLaker though, we've been climbin' and he's gonna be ready for ya. And he's really diggin' his new Spot! Here's a few shots from yesterday, climbing to ride up and over Hemlock Knob. He'd never ridden it and dug the backside downhill through the stunted spruces.

    Sorry for the hijack Nanuq.
    Dude,
    I sent you an email and never heard back, all I got was a reply saying "message undeliverable". ThesmallestLakerever's Spot looks sweet, that black headbadge is going to look rad on my black Spot. When he gets here we're going to trade.
    You didn't make this trip so I expect you to make the next one.

    Nanuq, sorry dude.
    end of hijack
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Queen Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    354
    Don't forget Blueberry Hollow. Nice pictures, Rando!!!

  17. #17
    Alaska Turner Mafia
    Reputation: EndoRando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    Don't forget Blueberry Hollow. Nice pictures, Rando!!!
    I know there's a sign on the Blueberry Hollow post that says no bikes. It's been there all summer, and I'm not really sure why it changed from last year, when it was open to all. I've respected it and resisted the temptation to ride it, however, I didn't see one on Hemlock Knob, so sorry FatChick if we trespassed. This used to be open to bikes as well, so why all the status changes if it is in fact closed? Blueberry Hollow was a ton of fun, and I really feel like I've been slighted with all the closures.

    Bones, sorry, but my laptop has been down and in for repairs for quite a while, so I missed a bunch of emails. I've been checking in on the boards here from my work station, so my work address is usually a good bet to try. Send to both and I'll get 'em for sure.

    TiniestLakerinHistory and I are gonna go hit it again, so gotta run. He's riding Lost Lake tomorrow, so we'll probably just hit the flats, riding a loop in Mirkwood Forest: Cuneiform, Sith, Way Twisty, Rio's Proliferation, over to Blue Dot, Moose Track, Lore, and Baseball Boogie to return. Be safe bones.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

  18. #18
    Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Reputation: bones get broke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    983
    Quote Originally Posted by EndoRando
    I know there's a sign on the Blueberry Hollow post that says no bikes. It's been there all summer, and I'm not really sure why it changed from last year, when it was open to all. I've respected it and resisted the temptation to ride it, however, I didn't see one on Hemlock Knob, so sorry FatChick if we trespassed. This used to be open to bikes as well, so why all the status changes if it is in fact closed? Blueberry Hollow was a ton of fun, and I really feel like I've been slighted with all the closures.

    Bones, sorry, but my laptop has been down and in for repairs for quite a while, so I missed a bunch of emails. I've been checking in on the boards here from my work station, so my work address is usually a good bet to try. Send to both and I'll get 'em for sure.

    TiniestLakerinHistory and I are gonna go hit it again, so gotta run. He's riding Lost Lake tomorrow, so we'll probably just hit the flats, riding a loop in Mirkwood Forest: Cuneiform, Sith, Way Twisty, Rio's Proliferation, over to Blue Dot, Moose Track, Lore, and Baseball Boogie to return. Be safe bones.
    Sounds like fun, you and SoSmallYouCanBarelyEvenSeeLaker have fun. And for god's sake, leave the pick-a-nick basket at home. You folks don't need any more trouble with bears.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

  19. #19
    Alaska Turner Mafia
    Reputation: EndoRando's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    1,116
    The sun finally broke out today, first time I've seen it in .........since........I can't remember. Maybe photo ops will be better, so MostMicroscopicLakerSinceGenesis and I are gonna schlep the cameras along again. Maybe we'll get a glimpse of one of the many bears that are combing the area like ants!
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

  20. #20

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15
    It's not that I think it's bad to have bikes on there, it's just hard to make a case to CSP that horses are causing a bunch of damage when there are bike tracks on trails closed to bikes...nothing more embarrassing than meeting up with a ranger to talk about how horses ruin trails and finding a bunch of bike tracks on the trail as well. I do understand the temptation though, since we're pretty much pushed off of the other trails these days.

  21. #21
    Bikes are good
    Reputation: Elfbkr50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    855

    No

    There isn't a sign there. Go take a picture, Maybe you'll go tomorrow, and I'll see you there with your camera wondering where the hell the sign went. I was on that trail on Saturday. There isn't a sign on this trail, where that dude up this thread is riding. I, Promise.

  22. #22

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    15
    Are you taking some seriously roundabout way to get there? Because yes, there is signage on all marked intersections for HK (Gasline and Powerline). Of course there are unmarked ways to get there but that doesn't mean the bike ban doesn't apply.

    The horses have also been doing a ton of damage back there this year so that little trail system has been getting some attention from the traditional-use crowd along with CSP. I saw, and discussed with Tom Harrison, that someone's even been back there with a chainsaw, widening trails and clearing brush and chopping roots in some places. Not cool.

    Of course, the fact that bikes are banned on ALL those small CSP trails (whether there is specific signage or not - not a lot of trails open to bikes in CSP) while horses can go on most of them really is a sad state of affairs. I'd sure rather have bikes than horses. But biking in closed areas does circumvent the efforts of many to provide a good trail system for ALL users.

  23. #23
    Bikes are good
    Reputation: Elfbkr50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    855

    Powerline

    We fell onto this trail one day this summer. It connects powerline with gasline. From the powerline side there is a small, rooty climb (a was laying across this side toward the bottom). It puts you on the gasline well above the climb by the houses. There isn't a sign at either of these intersections. Close by though, there is a sign on a trail that says foot traffic only. Maybe this is where the confusion is. I'm heading up to the saddle today, and will triple check this fact.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Queen Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    354

    Idea! So here's the deal.

    All trails that were not at some point road beds in Chugach State Park (CSP), are officially off limits to mountain bikes. This means that the open trails are Powerline, the Gasline and the trail leading up toward Wolverine that dead-ends at the base of Near Point. The exception is South Rim Trail (whoops! I meant South Rim not Middle Fork) which is open to bikes, and Chugach State Park end of Llama Trail which is being written into the regs as a mountain bike trail. Everything else is technically closed and punishable by a $200 fine. One of the CSP maps even mentions that violations are punishable with a fine. CSP rangers are issuing warnings to mt. bikers discovered riding on trails closed to bikes.

    Here's the opportunity! Chugach State Park is currently rewriting the CSP Master Plan which only happens every 20 years or so. The last master plan was written before mt. bikes became popular. Mt. bikes are essentially considered motor vehicles.

    If you want more trails open to mt. bikes, both summer and winter, then you MUST comment to this effect while the Master Plan and CSP Trails Plan are being revised! Three points to consider are: 1) CSP should accommodate mountain bikers as a legitimate user group by opening more trails to their use; 2) existing trails should be revised or rerouted to make them more sustainable; 3) new sustainable trails should be designed and installed to accommodate all user groups. Go to the link below for more information, and email the CSP planning facilitator, Monica Alvarez to submit your comments.

    I get really tired of saying this, but the future of mt. biking in and around Anchorage is in your hands.

    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/chugach/planning
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/standard/...monica.alvarez
    Last edited by Queen Bee; 09-28-2008 at 12:59 AM.

  25. #25

    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    87
    Middlefork is open to bikes??

  26. #26
    Bikes are good
    Reputation: Elfbkr50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    855

    I was wrong

    Damn. There is a foot traffic only sign on the hemlock knob trail.

    It looks brand new though, so, maybe someone just put it there.

    My mistake. I've heard of people riding this always, and without a problem.

    :Middle fork, not open to biking.




    Those new trails are a rip though. Great I mean

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Queen Bee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    354

    South Rim

    See correction above. Wishful thinking!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

THE SITE

ABOUT MTBR

VISIT US AT

© Copyright 2019 VerticalScope Inc. All rights reserved.