Bear Fun- Mtbr.com

Thread: Bear Fun

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Bear Fun

So I knew it would happen sooner or later... I've been extra careful, bear bells, spray, riding more heavily used trails, making noise, reviewing the bear enounters protocol, they trully are everywhere.

I rode up to glen alps via upper huffman road maintaining a nice 5mph avg and enjoying the headwinds. About half a mile after the hairpin turn, just past the houses, a fairly good-sized black bear poked it's head out of the underbrush off the side of the road about 10 yards away, turned and ran back into the brush. I could hear the diminishing sound of branches and whatnot breaking as it ran off. I stopped for a moment, somewhat shocked and figured this was a good place to turn around anyway. As I started cruising downhill, I could hear the branch breaking get louder and keeping up with me on the side of the road in the brush. At first I thought it was just the wind but then the bear came out of the brush and onto the road running right behind me. I had spray but I'd be spraying into the wind and since the hill was in my favor I just high tailed it down. About the same time an SUV was coming up and I heard the tires as she slammed on her brakes. I was throughly paranoid the rest of the ride home.

I'm sure this has happened to most everyone who rides here at some point or the other but the reality of it was quite an impact. I've read through the protocols and know you are not supposed to run but in this case I felt pretty confident due to the grade of that road.
    I think the headwind was part of the surprise factor, it prolly couldn't smell me on the wind, and man I was stinky. It was definately a curious bear.

mtbr member
    Good thing you didn't hit any gravel..... Glad it worked out for you... Funny that it chased you, must have been some cubs nearby??? Or, it was looking for a latte.....

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I've found that the "Crocodile Dundee hand trick" works well on bears.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    I've found that the "Crocodile Dundee hand trick" works well on bears.
    I'll try that for sure next time

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Or stop, drop and roll if you are on a big hill.

No, that's not phonetic
    We got chased by a brown bear while riding in Swampy Acres near Buskin on Kodiak a while back. Yowza.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

No, that's not phonetic
    A local family...

40 & Fast
    I certainly like all the pics you post tscheezy.
    Keedp up the good work.

Thx
    Ride hard, Drag the broken pieces back, Share lusty tales of adventure & Tell everyone, " I almost stuck the landing".

Ologist
    4 little hellions...they are going to be a handful!! What lens are you using?

No, that's not phonetic
    I have a Sigma 50-500 f/6.3 (actually an f/ 5.6 in the EOS mount). Super lens.

They have been pretty well behaved, but just in the past few days they have started coming into camp and knocking stuff over. Here we go....

OlTime XR500 JumpingChamp
    Great shot as always, nice lil website full of pics also.

thanks..

Members who have read this thread: 0