Beach Ride-FUN-Homer-Labor Day Weekend- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Beach Ride-FUN-Homer-Labor Day Weekend

The Homer Cycling Club is planning a FatBike Beach Festival for next summer and I want to invite folks to come down to Homer this Labor Day weekend and help us plan by joining us on a casual beach ride from Homer to Anchor Pt and back over 2 days, with a fun campout in the middle at the Anchor River.

This will be a very casual introductory ride for those new to beach riding and a good way for folks to let us know what they want in a festival. For those who don't want to carry camp gear, they can just do a day ride out/back from Homer and drive to Anchor Pt w/ marshmellows and enjoy our fire on the beach. If the weather is really crappy we'll just do day rides from Homer's Bishop's Beach and enjoy good coffee/tea and great food at 2 Sisters Bakery, but the weather will be nice!

Our club's goal is to make Homer the Moab of FatBike Beach Riding and our festival hopes to introduce the world to this unique and fun place to ride.

We'll ride Sept. 3-4 (Sat-Sun) so folks can ride at their own pace and still be able to travel back home safely on Mon/Labor Day. Low Tide on Sat is at 12:46pm so we'll leave Bishop's Beach around 11am so we can enjoy some great riding. Low tide on Sun is at 1:44pm so we can enjoy a relaxing morning and hit the beach by Noon or sooner for those needing more time.

Again this is a fun casual beach ride, not a race, but those who want to go harder/faster can do so by continuing up the beach. Just make sure you have a tide book and know how to read it.

I hope to see many of you Sept 3rd!

Pat Irwin
    Homer Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

C'mon folks...

I really want to see a herd of fatbikes on the beach this Labor Day Weekend, so come on down and enjoy the last holiday this summer. The weather will be great!

Pat
    435-7077 cell

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I just went to the Alaskan forum to see what options were available for beach rides in the future and came across this thread. I can't wait to see how this developes and get a trip planned in the future.

Bikes are good
    That sounds awesome Pat. I'll be down there this fall to ride that, but can't make it this weekend.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Sept. 3-4

My ride is NEXT weekend, Sat/Sun Sept 3-4. We will leave Bishops Beach in Homer, ride to Anchor Pt, camp, then ride back Sunday. Pretty simple and great beach riding. FatBikes very highly recommended.

This will be a preview of the FatBike Beach Festival the Homer Cycling Club is planning for next summer. We hope that will become the premier FatBike Beach Riding Festival in the northern hemisphere.

Hope to see you all next weekend,

Pat

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

Count us in!

My wife and I will be there. She will ride a portion, return to our vehicle and bring it forward to the campsite.

If anybody needs gear (and they donít mid yellow lab fur on their equipment) my wife is willing to act as a sag-wagon.

Looking forward to a great time!

JT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great!

That sounds great JT. I/we look forward to riding with you.

The plan is to leave Bishop's Beach around 11am Saturday, and sooner if you want.

Hopefully we'll get more folks to join us.

Pat
    435-7077 cell

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Labor Day Beach Ride

We're still riding the beach next weekend from Homer to anchor Pt and back and we hope lots of folks show up, so zip on down to Homer next weekend and join us for awesome beach riding.

No packraft needed! Just a Fatbike and a desire to have fun! No river crossings on this one, just beach, firm beach, and more good riding beach!

Pat

is buachail foighneach me
    I'm going to try to make it down for this. It'll be my first fatbike beach ride. About how long of a ride is it to the campground? Not worried about making the distance, just wondering.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

20 miles

Sean,

It's about 20 beach miles to the Anchor River where we'll camp. There are only 2 small creeks we cross that are ankle deep or less. This is pure beach riding at it's best!
    We'll take off from Bishop's Beach around 11am Sat, camp somewhere near the mouth of the river, then ride back to Homer Sun around Noon. We'll finish back at Bishop's Beach, where 2 Sisters Bakery is located, and get our fill of coffee, tea and great food.

Total mileage: 40

Look forward to seeing you

Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A few more days...

Just a reminder that we'll be riding an awesome and easy stretch of beach from Homer to Anchor Pt and back this weekend, with a fun campout near the Anchor River. This is a great and remote stretch of the now famous Kenai Peninsula Beach Ride and is all riding - no rafts or river crossings on this one.

So bring your fatbike on down and join us this Sat/Sun starting at 10am at Homer's Bishop's Beach.

Pat

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Fun ride

The weather wasn't the greatest but we still had a fun beach ride and campout near the Anchor River. We were even greeted by a few Humbacks the next morning as we rode back to Homer.
    I want to thank SRYANAK, B CYCLE N, MIKECAK, for making the trip down and giving us some good input on next summer's FatBike Beach Festival. Thanks again folks, it was a pleasure riding with you all.
    And I want to thank the kids and parents who showed up at the camp site to make for an even more fun evening. It's a long story for those not there, but just know that we had a fun time.
    I/we will post some pics soon.

Pat

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Pat, I posted some pictures on the beach riding thread over on the fatbike section. Thanks again for a great trip. I thought the weather was pretty good. I was warm, mostly dry, and there weren't any bugs, what more could we want?

Convince Bjorn to write up his Hope to Homer ride!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks Steve

Thanks again for joining in on the ride and making for a fun group. I'll check out your pics in the other thread.

I'll make sure Bjorn is writing it up. The local Club meets Wed and I'll see him there.

The weather really went to heck today so we had perfect timing for the ride. There are no humans on the spit today!

Cheers,

Pat

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks again Pat for organizing! I really had a good time riding with you guys and I hope those growlers went down smooth!

MikeC

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Smooooth...

Mike,

We were assuming you made it back OK since we didn't see any flotsam along the shore on our way back to Homer. And yes, the growlers were the perfect recovery drink.
    A bunch of 4 yrs old showed up with pizza so the party got kinda crazy, but we didn't let them touch the growlers, which were gone by the time they showed up.
    We were greeted by several humpbacks on the return trip who were pretty interested in these new FatBikes. We took it as a good sign.
    Hope the fishin' in Sterling was good,

Pat

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I cruised back in an uneventful 2 hours. Not much rain.

Fishing was fun, but I'd have preferred more beach riding!

Til next time

MIKE C

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Chain

Mike,

Clean and lube your chain...

Pat