Beach Ride- Mtbr.com

Thread: Beach Ride

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Beach Ride

I am trying to schedule a summer beach ride from Hope to Homer and was wondering what the perfect tide scenario is?

No, that's not phonetic
    You could ride two low tides a day (morning and evening) if you are into taking a break at high tide around midday, or find days with a nice low low tide in the early afternoon.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

mtbr member

my ride...

Posted previously here: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=317005

links to Pat and Kathy's ride are there I think, and I offer my opinions about the ideal tides ] for Cook Inlet beach travel.

I also recommend a search for a link of Eric and Dillan's packraft/bike trip to asses the reality of traversing the Chicaloon delta.. between Gull Rock and Point Posession - somewhere here in the forums.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

Caveman
    Carl,
    if you're serious about actually starting at Hope you can put in at gull rock at High tide and catch it going out a little. For Chickaloon bay its best to just tackle it head on, we farted around on the gas line road but could have saved hours by just straight lining it across the muck. If you're feeling lucky you could pass the whole thing in the arm, but its huge. Pat & Cathy's write up talks more about the tides on the rest of it. High tide at Capt. cook comes really close to the beach but you can get dinner handouts easily.
    Last edited by Bearbait; 02-06-2009 at 06:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Tides

You can also look for lower high tides and ride a lot of the beach at high tide. The important thing to know is which chart applies to certain sections.

Have a great ride and yell when you pass our house on the way to the Salty Dawg! I'll ride that part with you....

Pat

Wood chips are stupid
    do it on this

akdeluxe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

what is that?

OK, I'll bite. What frame? And what wheelset/tire combo? I have to learn how to weld.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Leonard, I didn't know you had a Bianchi. Is it your north slope messenger bike?

Ak29
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

mtbr member
    May 2008
    i second eric's suggestion about not trying to find the gas line road, and just crossing chickaloon bay as straight and as quickly as you can. it's the perfect fix gear ride, especially once you get done scorching the gull rock trail. if you find my digital camera in the mud near burnt island please send it my way.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by green mt. boy
    OK, I'll bite. What frame? And what wheelset/tire combo? I have to learn how to weld.

http://www.ollierkkila.com/Site/?pag...=11&gallery=89

Members who have read this thread: 0