Beach/coastal riding- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    May 2006

Beach/coastal riding

Was hoping to get my pugs out this weekend.This will be my first fat bike summer so to speak. I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to where I could find any good beach or coastal riding near Anchorage.Are there some places that are better than others ?Where are the best access points etc. ANY help would be much appreciated.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I'd go down to Clam Gulch, set up a tent, go dig some clams and cook them by campfire. That's kind of far away though...

Feb 2007

Beach Riding

Well, don't go anywhere between Pt. Waranzof and Westchester (ugly mudfest)- but going from Waranzof south is pretty good for a while at least. However, your best bet locally is to hit the beach off of Kincaid - if you down the coastal trail and ride the Lekisch trail backwards (the flat part that runs paralell to the coastal trail) until it is about to go up again there is small trail heading to the beach. It is sand there, for a ways in both directions, but how far is an open question - but at least you could check it out. Otherwise you have to go a lot farther . . .

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks for the input,I will try the Kincaid route first, clam gulch I will definantly do later.On another note,once when I rode the Gull rock trail out of hope, I walked down on the beach near the begining of the trail,has anyone tried riding this or is it too affected by tidal action?

Feb 2007

Hope

It is most likely ridable, but perhaps too risky. In the early (mid?) 80's I rode with a friend on the mud flats from the base of Turnagain Pass down towards Hope for several miles on a regular old Fat Chance and it was fine as long as you were moving. If you stopped you started sinking mire so we kept moving. We rode exactly where - and about 2 weeks before - the recently married woman drowned after trying to get the 4 wheeler she was riding with her husband unstuck. Needless to say, that incident pointed out how foolish our ride was and I've not been in the same situation since. So, my guess is that the Hope beach is pretty decent as it is sand and gravel in most places - and the is mud ridable if you like high risks.

Sep 2005

Kuskokwim Bay...

I'm fatbiking the Kuskokwim Bay / K-Delta...from the lower part of the river south along the Bering Sea Coast...will go later in the summer...July!

You'll need an Alpacka Raft, some type of light weight wader - and a 'self contained' minimalist kit.

If ur interested and have the right gear...get intouch. Derailleur-less Multispeeders given priority *grins*!

ML

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That sounds very interesting qayaq, how long were you planing on being gone ? And what is a Alpacka raft.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Last summer BigLaker and I rode from Achor Point to Homer and had a blast. Make sure you go at low tide though, we tried it as high tide was ebbing and wound up riding some pretty crappy beach.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Sep 2005
    Be gone as long as it takes...not that far, but I stop in the villages to meet with friends et al...probably pack ~ 4 days of trip food stuffs! Don't do dates that well...just go when its good!

Was planning this trip last season but the late season weather kicked-my-ass ...July should be better...not great, but not fall weather either! +/- couple weather days no less!

Alpacka Rafts???? Well, got to get across quite of few inlets and rivers on this trip...and "Everything else is just a pool toy!"

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1962
    That sounds very interesting qayaq, how long were you planing on being gone ? And what is a Alpacka raft.

Sep 2005

Everything else is just a pool toy....

Be gone as long as it takes...not that far, but I stop in the villages to meet with friends et al...probably pack ~ 4 days of trip food stuffs! Don't do dates that well...just go when its good!

Was planning this trip last season but the late season weather kicked-my-ass ...July should be better...not great, but not fall weather either! +/- couple weather days no less!

Alpacka Rafts???? Well, got to get across quite of few inlets and rivers on this trip...and "Everything else is just a pool toy!"

Quote Originally Posted by jeff1962

Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by qayaq_alaska

Oh man I have to get one of those now. Class IV Whitewater - hot damn.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    There is a place I know I can access the coast, right down from the earthquake park entrance to the coastal trail,I think I will give that a try,and ride toward kincaid. After looking at the tidal schedule I think I will start out around 10.30 am. If anyone else would like to give it a go ,give me a call on my cell at 240-7037.Or email me.

Caveman
    Quote Originally Posted by Dischy
    Oh man I have to get one of those now. Class IV Whitewater - hot damn.
    only if you are really good...
    and dont have a bike strapped to the top...

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Did my little beach ride saturday, the spot were I thought I could access from the coastal trail was very little sand and much mud.Aborted that and continued down Northern Lights until I hit that restricted gate area.To the right of this is an overlook that has a trail that leads directly to the beach.Not a real long ride maybe 30 minutes total if you go as far as possible one way and then trek back as far as possible the other.Great veiws of sleeping lady and the anchorage skyline.Good introductory beach ride if you want to get a taste of what your bike can do. My pugs did great as expected, but I think if someone had snow cats with wider tires like 2.3 werewolf those may work also.I will try to post some pics,but for some reason have not bean able to do so,some kind of computor glich somewhere.

Members who have read this thread: 0