BCA Winter City Bike Fest 50K - Feb 13- Mtbr.com
    It's All About We!
    Dec 2005

BCA Winter City Bike Fest 50K - Feb 13

The BCA is kicking off the 2011 Winter Bike Fest.

The Alaska Randonneurs are putting on a 50K benefit ride for the BCA. It'll be in true randonnée style, but on fat bikes!

A map of the course, with all the contrôles marked, is HERE.

Come ride with us, and support the BCA!

The first 20 riders to register and complete the ride will get coupons for free admission to Day Two of the 2011 Winter Bike Festival.

See ya there!

Kevin Turinsky
    alaskarandonneurs.org

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    Pre-rode the course yesterday. The streets and trails are in fantastic condition! Took about 5hrs, including a stop to wolf down a chicken pot pie at City Market, and a pain au chocolat at Fire Island. We were too stuffed to eat anything at the Sugar Spoon.

Looking forward to seeing you next Sunday morning at the Amsterdam Cafe!
    Registration opens at 8AM.
    Ride begins at 9AM.
    Cost: $10. This is a benefit ride for the BCA by the AK Randonneurs. Generosity is really encouraged.

Bring cash to spend on sustenance at the checkpoints, and beers and pizza afterwards.
    Bring a lock to secure your steed while you're eating cupcakes and such.

Here are just a few of the great things the BCA has recently done for cyclists here in Anchorage:
    Got unanimous support for the Bike Plan.
    Worked with APD to fix an anti-bike law.
    Made Bike to Work Day another success.
    Educated bicyclists on how to stay safe.
    12 new League of American Bicyclists Certied Instructors for Alaska.
    Bike First Friday.
    The Veggie Roll Memorial Day Ride.

Kevin
    alaskarandonneurs.org

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Sounds good, is there a helmet requirement? If not I'm in.

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    It is good!! Yeah, Article 5 says ya gotta have one. Don't let that spoil the joy though. Come break bread w/ us!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    How firm were the trails? Do you think the route will be rideable on 40mm studs, or does it call for something a bit wider?

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    As of right now, its totally ridable by studs, looks like temps on Sunday are in the minus digits so it should be fine!

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005
    Yeah, Sunday looks like it's gonna be brisk. I'm hopeful the street and path sections will have been plowed. It seems that our tax dollars have been doing pretty well in that dept, considering it's been a low-snow-year thus far. Last Saturday the course was in brilliant condition. If the streets and paths haven't been scraped, then gosh, I hope I don't break a collar bone! Cuz, I ain't wearin' no studs.

BTW, I've stopped by and talked w/ all of our checkpoint. They're great athletic supporters. Yes, I really mean that! They're all really excited to have a horde of riders mob 'em this Sunday.

Bring your camera and take tons of snaps to upload to the BCA later! Bring loads of dough to shower the BCA with; it's a benefit, ya know. They gotta send someone to D.C. soon. Then bring more dough to swap for piles of treats and fancily baked chocolate calories! You'll get hungry and thirsty on the first 40K of this ride.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Sorry. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Tarnac
    I've stopped by and talked w/ all of our checkpoint. They're great athletic supporters. Yes, I really mean that! They're all really excited to have a horde of riders mob 'em this Sunday.

Ha. You said athletic supporters. . .

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005

You Caught It!

Exactly!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I rode with 40mm studded tires this morning on the BCA ride. The trails were very firm and the ride was great. If the rest of the route is in as good of shape, it'll be a blast tomorrow.

Members who have read this thread: 0