Bad idea to ride the Kenai 250 route in September?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2018

Bad idea to ride the Kenai 250 route in September?

I just found out that I'll have some free time for a riding/bikepacking trip in early September, and spending 6-7 days riding the Kenai 250 route has been up at the top of my list for a while. I've read a few descriptions that say the route can be ridden through September, while others say that many trails are so overgrown that they're blocked/can't be followed by August.

I know overgrown trails will be an issue, but how bad should I expect it be? If the answer is pretty bad (ie a good chunk of the trails won't be rideable) I'll probably head elsewhere.

mtbr member
    Apr 2018
    It's going to be overgrown, wet, probably bad weather, lots of wildlife (bears) running around feeding before winter. Sounds like you know it's not a great idea. You can try it but chances are if you go you don't have a very good time...

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Thanks, PUGlife--that's what I needed to hear. Maybe next summer...

Elitest thrill junkie
    When Cow Parsnip is overgrown and in the trail, things can get pretty bad a day or two after. Even on the Soggy Bottom this weekend, there are often multiple people who get pretty bad Cow Parsnip blisters and effects. Some of those trails like Johnson Pass are just not really passable once the mid-summer sets in. I know of a group that tried it from the North a few days ago and turned around after 7 miles or so due to this. I am almost certain where they had to turn around, there are some wide-open fields in multiple spots that just get jammed and there's effectively no trail after that sets in. You can ride it again in the late fall though after the stuff has started to die off and fall to the ground.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Hope that you did it. This is the best weather ever and with Johnson Pass being brushed right now the Kenai 250 route is as good as it gets.

mtbr member
    Jan 2018
    Ha, thanks for the update chuckymtbr. I just finished a Colorado Trail-based loop instead....and dealt with rain, snow, and generally crappy weather. Still had a great time, though.

Hope you're getting to enjoy the weather. I still hope to make it up to Kenai--maybe next summer.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckymtbr View Post
    Hope that you did it. This is the best weather ever and with Johnson Pass being brushed right now the Kenai 250 route is as good as it gets.
    Well, not for everyone: Woman 'impaled' by arrow on Cooper Landing trail - KTVA 11 - The Voice of Alaska

With Johnson being brushed though, it surely helps. I don't know if Devils or Russian Lakes has seen any work, but you gotta be careful of the Cow Parsnip when the sun is out, it can be worse than poison oak. Amazing weather we've had here though the last few weeks (finally). Most people I know have just been doing Lost Lake and Johnson Pass and reporting great conditions. Did Lost Lake two weeks ago and it was absolutely amazing.

Today: Bad idea to ride the Kenai 250 route in September?-g0099626.jpg
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.