Attn Pat: Denali update- Mtbr.com

Jan 2004

Attn Pat: Denali update

Metric shitload of new snow--go back, go back!!!!!!!! Save yourselves while you can!!!!!!

Will try to re-establish the trail at the earliest opportunity.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks again, Ken

Just keep us updated and we'll make a run for it as soon as the trail is in. It's the Denali Hwy or desert for me some time soon before I go postal with this crap weather we're having down here in Anchorage. Or perhaps drilling ANWR will help.......
    Hope it's better there......
    Pat

Jan 2004

12/01

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Just keep us updated and we'll make a run for it as soon as the trail is in. It's the Denali Hwy or desert for me some time soon before I go postal with this crap weather we're having down here in Anchorage. Or perhaps drilling ANWR will help.......
    Hope it's better there......
    Pat
    Jeff tried to go to the river today, only made it as far as Brushkana. Lotsa heavy snow, will try again tomorrow.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Well....

Tell Jeff to hurry up so we can come take advantage of all his hard work, and time, and money.
    We got a few inches last night and it's turning colder, so maybe winter is coming back. Hope we can ride the Hwy soon.
    Thanks again,
    Pat

Jan 2004

There's hope......

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Tell Jeff to hurry up so we can come take advantage of all his hard work, and time, and money.
    We got a few inches last night and it's turning colder, so maybe winter is coming back. Hope we can ride the Hwy soon.
    Thanks again,
    Pat
    Only about 8 inches new snow in Cantwell last nite, and today Jeff is back with a snow go and dogs, and Martin Buser is there with 70 dogs as well. Oughta be able to ride on THAT trail, eh?

Also, the temp is dropping, it's currently 16 and the coldest I've seen in a week.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Great!

I can't this weekend, but next week looks doable. I'll get with the clan and let you guys know how many to expect on the trail. Thanks for keeping us all informed, and thanks again to the mushers for making it possible for us.
    Are Jeff and Martin bringing enough marshmellows for all of us?
    Pat

Jan 2004

Can't speak for Martin, but.........

"Are Jeff and Martin bringing enough marshmellows for all of us?
    Pat"

yesterday I got a satellite phone call from Jeff saying that if I were thinking of coming out that way to swing by his house and bring him the cooler of groceries he'd neglected to load, so I wouldn't count on much extra from HIS side of the equation.

He'd originally planned to spend the nite, and I'm sure the lack of groceries had nothing to do with his decision to return to the trailhead--it was only to put 2 passes on the trail so it would be packed harder for today.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

snowfall amounts

Ken I talked to Bev and Rinehart at 156 on thurs. they said the total snowfall since sept. was 208" , terry

Jan 2004

Holy Guacamole!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ak slow poke
    Ken I talked to Bev and Rinehart at 156 on thurs. they said the total snowfall since sept. was 208" , terry
    That's like the old days, eh? Remember when Steve still lived there and we had the loader/sand pile there? Sometimes I thought it was faster to drive back to East Fork and get sand rather than clean out the loader and get to the sand (Steve had it ready for us, but I guess that first winter Jerry was there is what I'm thinking of).

Is Steve still in Talkeetner?

Avalanche closed the road big time today between my house and Cantwell. Only the second time since I've lived here.

Ken

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

old days

a little to much like the old days. getting hard to find places to stack the snow. or maybe i'm just getting to old??? steve is in talkeetna and loving it.