The Asked-Way-Too-Much-Tire Question- Mtbr.com
    We want... a shrubbery!

The Asked-Way-Too-Much-Tire Question

For a multitude of reasons (work, injuries, etc.), I haven't done much riding in Anchorage since summer 2008. But now that I'll be working in Anchorage, it's time to get ready for another summer season and since I've had the same tires for the past three years, it's time to find something new.

I'm a strictly cross-country guy and I'm looking for the MTBR AK masses to answer the asked-too-often question of what is the new 'latest & greatest' tire for Anchorage riding? This upcoming week I'll be making my way to the LBS to catch up on all that I've missed these past few years, but I'd like to get a head start on picking out my new set of treads.

Thanks!

- Icky
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I was a reluctant convert to tubeless tires but it seems like the way to go. After burning through a few tires, I now use a Maxxis ignitor 2.1 on the front and a Maxxis crossmark 2.1 on the back. Other tubeless setups I have tried, Continental mountain king, panaracer fire, Kenda small block 8, Specialized eskar. None were particularly bad, Maxxis just seemed to work best for me.

Bikes are good

WTB ExiWolf

Quick rolling tires that work great on most the trails we have here. A little small for some of the bigger stuff, they hold on to the corners pretty well.

But, if you are buying a new wheelset, check out Stans No Tubes site and shop for the hoop for you. A buddy of mine just got on some, and they are sweet. Not sure of the name of the rubber on them, but super light. I'm hoping to get on some this summer.

Exiwolf are the tires, not weirwolf. I'm not even sure what those are.
    Last edited by Elfbkr50; 05-31-2011 at 11:51 PM. Reason: oops
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Members who have read this thread: 0