Army Live Firing Range- Mtbr.com
    Bikes are good

Army Live Firing Range

So, if you live along this road it will be a tough deal. If you like riding the Dome, or hiking back to Tikishla, Knoya, Tanaina's, Long Lake, Temptation Peak, etc, they will be closed permanently, or semi-permanently. This would be quite devastating for me personally, and I'm sure many people who enjoyed recreating in these areas. Show up to the meeting on Thursday at 7. Info below.

If you have Thursday night to spare, your voice and presence would be appreciated.

7 p.m. Thursday, May 20
    at Wayland Baptist University
    7801 East 32nd Avenue (access via 36th Avenue)

**EMERGENCY MEETING SCHEDULED**

FORT RICHARDSON HAS PROPOSED TO EXPAND TIME AND AREAS OF LIVE ARTILLERY FIRE AND IT MAY AFFECT YOU!

Fort Richardson has proposed creation of a year around live firing range in the area adjacent to our Scenic Foothills neighborhoods. Artillery, including 120mm mortars and 105mm howitzers, would create significant noise impacts. Areas historically used for recreation, such as The Dome right next to Chugach Foothills, and Snowhawk Valley, the next drainage over, could be closed to access.

Concerned neighbors have asked for more information on this proposal and have scheduled a meeting.

7 p.m. Thursday, May 20
    at Wayland Baptist University
    7801 East 32nd Avenue (access via 36th Avenue)

Representatives of the Army have been asked to attend and should be available for your questions.

Please plan to attend. Your participation matters!

A few years ago, when the Army proposed gulag-style fencing along the western perimeter of Fort Richardson South Post, the only way a somewhat palatable compromise was reached was by our residents voicing their concerns to the Army.

If you wish to sign a petition regarding the new artillery range proposal, one should be available to sign at the meeting. Individual comments, however, are the strongest means to present your opinion. The comment period on the draft Environmental Impact Statement has been extended to June 13, 2010.

An unofficial recap of the proposal may be found here:
    http://www.scenicfoothillscc.org/new..._EIS_recap.pdf

The proposal summary page is here:
    http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservat...ferred_Alt.pdf

The entire draft Environmental Impact Statement is here:
    http://www.usarak.army.mil/conservat...und_Firing.asp

Please forward written comments by June 13, 2010 to:
    Ms. Carrie McEnteer

Directorate of Public Works
    Attn: IMPC-FWA-PWE (C. McEnteer)

1060 Gaffney Road #4500

Fort Wainwright, AK 99703-4500

fax: (907) 361-9867
    e-mail: [email protected]
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Thanks for the headsup. Im Air Force myself and didnt start riding the dome area till last year. It would be ashamed to have this taken away.

I was under the assumption it would of been on the Birchwood/Chugiak side of the inlet where the range would be opened again? I will be there to see what this is all about.

Thanks again

Bikes are good

Thanks

Yeah, the 3rd proposal (of 3) lists a very long list of infrastructure they'd have to build to open the Dome site for bombing. The other two list expansions of time and area that they'll use for bombing. The proposal actually has a road going to the top of the dome for observation sites. Bodies at the meeting would be good.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I thought they were practicing in Afghanistan and Iraq. Regardless I don't want artillery in my neighborhood I'll be at the meeting.

Members who have read this thread: 0