Aren't you afraid you'll get eaten by a grizzly bear or something?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Aren't you afraid you'll get eaten by a grizzly bear or something?

Man, and I thought the mud was bad down here (Marin, CA). It must be amazing Mt. Biking in Alaska... aren't you afraid you'll get eaten by a grizzly bear or something?! Seriously. I wan't to go to Alaska. I love wilderness travel, alpine climbing and the like. But things are different in CA where the Mt. Lion is the only predator and attacks are rare, the highest peak is just over 14,000ft and the biggest wilderness areas can be hiked across in a long day or two. (they don't let mt. bikes in it by the way) What's it like Mt. Biking up there? Are you guys going into the back country on your bikes? Are there alot of restrictions on Mt. Bikers up there? Can you go touring in the back country/wilderness on a Mt. Bike? That would be about as cool as it gets.

Jun 2003

Let's see....

Quote Originally Posted by grumpstumper
    Man, and I thought the mud was bad down here (Marin, CA). It must be amazing Mt. Biking in Alaska... aren't you afraid you'll get eaten by a grizzly bear or something?! Seriously. I wan't to go to Alaska. I love wilderness travel, alpine climbing and the like. But things are different in CA where the Mt. Lion is the only predator and attacks are rare, the highest peak is just over 14,000ft and the biggest wilderness areas can be hiked across in a long day or two. (they don't let mt. bikes in it by the way) What's it like Mt. Biking up there? Are you guys going into the back country on your bikes? Are there alot of restrictions on Mt. Bikers up there? Can you go touring in the back country/wilderness on a Mt. Bike? That would be about as cool as it gets.

No. The riding up here is great. Yes, therre are lots of bavckcountry riding. Yes, touring on a MTB is a possibility. There are few restrictions, but few traiols, also.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm scared of grizzly bears. But, I'm more scared of mountain lions. More bikers killed/attacked by mountain lions in recent years than grizzlies in the U.S.....as far as I know, mountain lions are MORE likely to stalk than grizzlies.

We are getting some big coyotes here in Ohio now....this is only a problem if you are a small house pet!

Kristine
    Anchorage-bound Buckeye, looking forward to getting to AK THIS year, I hope!!!!

Jun 2003

Not so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine
    We are getting some big coyotes here in Ohio now....this is only a problem if you are a small house pet!

Kristine
    Anchorage-bound Buckeye, looking forward to getting to AK THIS year, I hope!!!!

A number of years ago, a roller-blader was bitten on the ass by a coyote. (in Anchorage) Nasty buggers.

mtbr member

lions, tigers and bears oh my...

Yeah, we have Mt. lions and coyotes down here. I have a coyote who built its den up the trail behind our house. I've happened upon him up there before. He just gave me a dirty look and sulked away. I didn't really know they could be a threat. We have Mt. lions in our area too. I grew up here (bay area) and was raised romping around in the local nature areas. I've seen Mt. lions a handful of times, once on my bike. They do scare me. I've considered pepper spray or a gun but i'm thinking that if they attack it is going to be from up above and behind, without warning. I wonder if most mountain lions attacks occur out of the blue, or if people have a chance to face the animal first...???

Jun 2003

Just do not run from the scoundrels.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpstumper
    Yeah, we have Mt. lions and coyotes down here. I have a coyote who built its den up the trail behind our house. I've happened upon him up there before. He just gave me a dirty look and sulked away. I didn't really know they could be a threat. We have Mt. lions in our area too. I grew up here (bay area) and was raised romping around in the local nature areas. I've seen Mt. lions a handful of times, once on my bike. They do scare me. I've considered pepper spray or a gun but i'm thinking that if they attack it is going to be from up above and behind, without warning. I wonder if most mountain lions attacks occur out of the blue, or if people have a chance to face the animal first...???
    Those wild house pets are cowards. The skater was bit from behind, as she fled, scared out of her wits. Sorry, but I fear no 40lb dog, wild or not. (and on skates, even.)

From what I have read about cat attacks, they are usually stalking their prey for a while.
    (I was involved in a VERY heated discussion on this board at the time of the cat attacks in Ca last year over this subject) Big cats scare me, but only because of my limited exposure. (go figure)

Bears, moose, and the other Alaskan animals and I have an understanding. We try to avoid each other. I rarely see bears, and Moose and I are on a first name basis. (I always try to introduce myself. It puts us all at ease.)