Anyone stud their own tires?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Anyone stud their own tires?

New to the site.... and to winter biking for that matter.

I didn't want to spend a lot on tires, since books this semester at UAA were more important, so I decided to try my hand at studding. I took some cheapo tires from Fred meyer, some new tubes, and a couple hundred 6X1/2 pan head sheet metal screws to make a pair. I have seen tutorials where a drill was used to drill holes but I opted to use a small nail and a hammer to punch a hole from the outside instead so there was as little damage to the tire as possible. After some 4 hours and a blister or two later they were done. I split the old tubes that were on the bike to make a barrier between the new tube and the screw heads.

Tonight I decided to put them to the test. I live near the chester creek trail in midtown so I jumped on the trail and pedaled to Goose lake. The snow was semi packed down from skiers so it wasn't hard to stay up. While I was there I thought it would be a good test to try the skating rink out. Night and day difference from not having any traction but still moderate turns only. I then went up to UAA and biked around Goose lake. Unfortunatly this had not been heavily skied since the snowfall so it was mashed potatoes. Took my time but managed to only get knocked off once.

So all in all, not too shabby for $20 a tire. I put more screws up front than the back and left the middle pretty clear. Im sure the Nokians work much better but have no basis of comparison.

Ologist
    Nice work - that is such an effective set up and so cheap! We did the same thing back in school. My set up had smaller screws and kept pinching through the tube so I ended up using an old slick as a barrier between the tube and the screw heads. Worked for years.

ThisseatmakemyA$$lookfat?
    i hear ya... buying studded mtb tires is almost as much as buying tires for a vehicle... i hear a lot of people using a little bit shorter sheet metal screws, and then using some type of tire liner on the inside of the tire to protect the tube. 'cause if you don't, you're going to have more than one hole to fix... LOL!!! hey, what bike do you have that Nokian Gazzalodi mount too in the back ground???
    aka: akfreeridemtber; brian_404
    Just get out and, RIDE!!!
    www.facebook.com/shagwn007

@adelorenzo
    I did the same thing this year, used 1/2 inch screws on the outside knobs for an ice race. It worked OK but I am planning to use a slightly shorter screw (3/8) to stud some of the middle knobs, especially on my back.

Billy--Arctic Cycles
    Oct 2007
    Very nice , very nice. Adapted and overcame--and still have money for beer . Here is another tip ..... when the screw heads start to give you flats, cut the valve stem out of the tube. Then, cut all around the tube and place your new tube inside. Then you have a great protective rubber inner liner to save your new tube. If you have old tubes use them like this to prevent the problem.

P.S. Don't fall, or at least if you do, get away from the bike! Those things will take you out!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Nice work - that is such an effective set up and so cheap! We did the same thing back in school. My set up had smaller screws and kept pinching through the tube so I ended up using an old slick as a barrier between the tube and the screw heads. Worked for years.
    Yea, seems like a college kinda setup eh? Although I havent seen anyone else on campus with the pan head screws. I hear the old slick idea works pretty well. A bit higher moment of inertia is worth keeping the tube inflated.
    Quote Originally Posted by brian_404
    i hear ya... buying studded mtb tires is almost as much as buying tires for a vehicle... i hear a lot of people using a little bit shorter sheet metal screws, and then using some type of tire liner on the inside of the tire to protect the tube. 'cause if you don't, you're going to have more than one hole to fix... LOL!!! hey, what bike do you have that Nokian Gazzalodi mount too in the back ground???
    I used my old tubes to line the new tubes. Just filleted them down the middle. Kind of a pain to line up. I also polished a few of the screw heads that I thought were a little "rough". Its actually a stock enduro tire that came with a Specialized Hardrock comp disc. Interesting story. It got stolen from campus this summer but I got it back from a pawn shop because I had the serial number still. Lesson on only using a U-lock from now on.
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    I did the same thing this year, used 1/2 inch screws on the outside knobs for an ice race. It worked OK but I am planning to use a slightly shorter screw (3/8) to stud some of the middle knobs, especially on my back.
    Yea. That would be a great idea to use a few shorter ones on the inside knobs. I noticed that once the momentum started on the ice rink it just wasnt enough to stop the sliding. Well, I could avoid skating rinks too.
    Quote Originally Posted by arcticcycles
    Very nice , very nice. Adapted and overcame--and still have money for beer . Here is another tip ..... when the screw heads start to give you flats, cut the valve stem out of the tube. Then, cut all around the tube and place your new tube inside. Then you have a great protective rubber inner liner to save your new tube. If you have old tubes use them like this to prevent the problem.

P.S. Don't fall, or at least if you do, get away from the bike! Those things will take you out!
    Beer money was my main objective. Thats actually exactly what I did with the old tubes that were in the bike. I bought a new pair and split the old. Seems to be working well. Ill try not to impale myself when I take a nosedive. They are pretty nasty. Still wearing bandaids from trying to mount the damm things.

Jan 2008
    ya dude. i got a flat so i just put a run flat in there so i dont have to worry about it anymore. like the peace of mind. and it's not that much heavier doesnt really matter

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I have always run #6X 3/8" HEX HEAD Machine Screws but ran them in from the OUTSIDE. After insertion, you smack the sharp tip with a hammer to blunt it then install liners. I run old MTB slicks with the bead removed as a liner. After a couple seasons you will have lost a few screws but the tires were due to be replaced by this time anyway.

Members who have read this thread: 0