Anyone for a Knik Glacier ride.- Mtbr.com
    FatBike Fiend

Anyone for a Knik Glacier ride.

Conditions finally look great for a ride to Knik Glacier on Saturday. We've had several days of sub zero cold and just a skiff of new snow, so should be good riding. It's about a 40 miles round trip from Sullivan road near beautiful downtown Butte. I've been doing this ride at least once a winter for quite a few years when possible. It's all flat but with great views and upclose panoramas of the huge face of the Knik Glacier.Lots of frozen gravel bar riding and a few stream crossings. So far about 5 of us valley yokels are going and the more the merrier so drop an email to [email protected] if interested. Also I think there's an overnighter planned on the Iditarod by the Su 100 folks.

Bill M

... and if we just ... Great Ride

Kathi and I have done this ride twice with Wildfire and it is one you do not want to miss. The riding is good and the scenery, Alaskan winter at its best. Do not forget your camera!!! We will be there Sat. for sure. See you at the trailhead.
    Bill M

Beware of Doggerel

I've always wanted to do that ride

Wow that sounds great. I've always wanted to do that ride sounds like a lot of fun. I'll e-mail you for directions and time.

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    Conditions finally look great for a ride to Knik Glacier on Saturday. We've had several days of sub zero cold and just a skiff of new snow, so should be good riding. It's about a 40 miles round trip from Sullivan road near beautiful downtown Butte. I've been doing this ride at least once a winter for quite a few years when possible. It's all flat but with great views and upclose panoramas of the huge face of the Knik Glacier.Lots of frozen gravel bar riding and a few stream crossings. So far about 5 of us valley yokels are going and the more the merrier so drop an email to [email protected] if interested. Also I think there's an overnighter planned on the Iditarod by the Su 100 folks.

FatBike Fiend

Meet at 10 am @

We're planning to meet up at at the pullout just north of the Knik River bridge on the Old Glenn Highway at 10 am. See ya there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    the injustice,im so jealous.If Mike Danz is out with you please say hi from me.Are you taking the gps commonly known as charlie?

FatBike Fiend

... and if we just ... We made it!

Made it to the Knik, great conditions, no snow, just frost on gravel and ice. River crossings were no problem but punched through some overflow once almost to my knees but Neos overboots saved the day.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FatBike Fiend

More Knik Pics

Here's some photos. It was kind of cloudy so not the best lighting, but you can get ani idea of the place.

FatBike Fiend

More Knik pics

A couple more pics for ya.

FatBike Fiend

One more pic

A moment of exhultation on our arrival.

Bill M

Good job! Thanks Wildfire

Thanks for the awesome ride. Kathi and I are still wound up from the ride yesterday! Kathi's fun meter registered 41 miles for the round trip with 3 miles of actually riding on the glacier. Riding on the glacier among the seracs and presssure ridges adds a whole new perspective to biking that can't be explained if you haven't been there. Watching Wildfire crush cars with a Fat Bike added an unsuspected twist to a fun ride.
    Bill and Kathi M

FatBike Fiend
    The sucker cut me off. Let's do it again on Weds if it stays like this.

mtbr member
    Nice shots, it looks a little more wintery then it's here in Maine.

Bill M

Wednesday sounds good

The sucker cut me off. Let's do it again on Weds if it stays like this.
    We're on board for wednesday!!! See you then

mtbr member

close ups of bikes?

i have always been fascinated by the bikes youse guys use for snow riding....i like the fact they are so specialized in one regard but of course could be used anywhere... they look kitted out for adventure with all the bags etc.

2 questions:

where are the bags made?

any close ups of the bikes?

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    djRon

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=7654

Check this thread on page 1 titled alaska ultrasport

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by dRjOn
    i have always been fascinated by the bikes youse guys use for snow riding....i like the fact they are so specialized in one regard but of course could be used anywhere... they look kitted out for adventure with all the bags etc.

2 questions:

where are the bags made?

any close ups of the bikes?
    I make the bags here in Alaska custom to fit your bike, please email me off forum for details. It seems almost every hardcore winter rider around here has one now and it's amazing how much gear you can put in them and they work good in the summer as well. Here's a shot of an older model FatBike.

http://www.wildfirecycles.com

mtbr member

Wowee!!!

Those pictures are AWESOME!!! Thanks for letting us all in on a "virtual ride." Maybe someday I can shake my daytime responsibilities and join you on such adventures. Looks like an incredible place to ride a bike!

QB

FatBike Fiend

More Knik Flicks

BillM, Kathi, and myself, with Charlie the hound rode back up there today. It was colder this time, -10 F. but we made it up to a new section of the glacier. Charlie disapeared briefly with a pack of four wolves on the way up and we thought we'd seen the last of him but apparantly he wasn't deemed pack material and he showed back up later. Got some more pics and was glad we live in Alaska and can ride stuff like this that very few other people have the opportunity to do.

FatBike Fiend
    BillM, Kathi, and myself, with Charlie the hound rode back up there today. It was colder this time, -10 F. but we made it up to a new section of the glacier. Charlie disapeared briefly with a pack of four wolves on the way up and we thought we'd seen the last of him but apparantly he wasn't deemed pack material and he showed back up later. Got some more pics and was glad we live in Alaska and can ride stuff like this that very few other people have the opportunity to do.
    Here's a couple more pics, it's a bit hairy at the glacier face what with the creaking, popping, and groaning noises emanating from the galcier and surrounding pack ice.

FatBike Fiend
    Here's two more pictures I just had to throw in. Thanks for all the nice comments and I'll keep you posted on future rides to the Knik. Definately want to do an overnight camping trip in March and explore the area some more. The face of the glacier is huge, over four miles across, so lots of exploring possibilities. See it now before it melts!

Bite Me.

Great Shot!

Here's two more pictures I just had to throw in. Thanks for all the nice comments and I'll keep you posted on future rides to the Knik. Definately want to do an overnight camping trip in March and explore the area some more. The face of the glacier is huge, over four miles across, so lots of exploring possibilities. See it now before it melts!
    We used to have Ice like that in Colorado but it melted - now all that's left is Keystone.
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells

FatBike Fiend

Knik Glacier trip 3

Anybody interested in another ride to the Knik Glacier? Meet at first pullout on right past Knik River Bridge on the Old Glenn Highway at 10 am weds. Bring lunch, water, camera etc as it's an all dayer. A couple friends made it up there on Sunday and said it was good.

Wildfire

FatBike Fiend

More pics from yesterday's ride

BillM, Kathi, myself, and Charlie the dog went back up to the Knik yesterday with sunny skies and subzero temps.

Wildfire

mtbr member
    BillM, Kathi, myself, and Charlie the dog went back up to the Knik yesterday with sunny skies and subzero temps.

Wildfire
    hmm..no chairlifts, what's the deal?

great pics. looks awesome!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Wow that's truly amazing stuff, thanks for sharing! i have a freind who's moving to Anchorage if ever i decide to come up i'll have to hook up with you folks for a ride. Here's some pix from Washington state....http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=72597
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Maybe it's got something with me NOT being from Alaska, but I gotta say that this is REALLY FRICKIN COOL !

One of the great things about mtbs: They can take you (almost) anywhere !