Anybody ridden Rocky River - Seldovia ?- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Anybody ridden Rocky River - Seldovia ?

Would like to ride the Rocky River trail this summer - see page 40 of 'Mountain Bike Alaska - 49 trails in the 49th state'
    Has anybody ridden the trail or others in the area - I hear there are lots of logging roads in the area too.
    Thanks, Adam.

Mr.Secret
    Yep, about 6 or 7 yrs. ago. At that time though it was getting WAY overgrown and I have no idea how it would be currently. I also forgot to mention the WAY exciting creek crossing, there used to be a fixxed line there but I think a bear ate it.
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Mt. Bike Alaska is a bit out of date.. but still a great resource.

Mt. Bike Alaska is a good starting point for outside of Anchorage trails but as the cover implies.. it is a bit out of date.

Specifically missing is Lost Lake, then Resurrection River is pretty overgrown and in poor condition that I have heard. Crown Point is no longer easily accessible and has signage.

I have had discussions with Richard Larson about an update, and he said he sold the rights to it to the Bicycle Shop/Paramount Cycles owner years ago and that no revision planned.

I know a couple people have started their own guides (including myself) but have yet to finish them and send them to the printer.

If you do plan on doing the Seldovia ride I would be interested in going with a group of other people to check it out.

Christopher

FatBike Fiend

Ah yes, the creek crossing

I've done it a couple times, but not recently. The last time was very memorable. I had my dog with me (leashed, of course) and somehow had to get him across Rocky River with me on the very crude child's swing-set sized cable car seat. So I hunted around in the brush and found some old polypro rope and made a jury rigged harness for Clyde, who I dangled beneath me and proceded across only to find I neglected to allow for cable sag. About halfway across, I looked down to see my poor dog skipping in the whitewater with a terrified look on his face. Luckily we made it across and my dog eventually forgave me. But on the way back out, it was raining heavily and the river was raging. When we went to pull the cable car across, we discovered that some idiot had left the pull rope all tangled up in some roots on the other side, so we couldn't get the cable car over to our side of the river. Jamo, my riding buddy, said "We're gonna die" and stoicly sat down in the rain to await his fate. I wasn't quite ready for an early demise so I rooted around in my bike pack and found a cable with a lock with which I managed to make a loop over the cable and hand over handed it across to save the day. McGyver would be proud. Anyway, great trip, am curious on the condition of the trail now too.
    Quote Originally Posted by R.T.R.
    Yep, about 6 or 7 yrs. ago. At that time though it was getting WAY overgrown and I have no idea how it would be currently. I also forgot to mention the WAY exciting creek crossing, there used to be a fixxed line there but I think a bear ate it.
    Owner, Trailwerx Trails Contracting
    Palmer, Alaska
    www.trailwerx.com

May 2007

Rock River Revived

We have a group of Seldovia Mtn. Bikers that began opening up the Rocky River trail last fall. We got about half of the trail brushed and plan to work on the rest this season. The river crossing will be dependent on water level as the cable crossing in no longer functions.

Anyone want to help?

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

What time ya looking at doing it..

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected]
    We have a group of Seldovia Mtn. Bikers that began opening up the Rocky River trail last fall. We got about half of the trail brushed and plan to work on the rest this season. The river crossing will be dependent on water level as the cable crossing in no longer functions.

Anyone want to help?
    I would definetly be interested in helping..

I got about 3 weeks off in late June through mid-July; other than the Fireweed 200 I don't have anything planned at this point.

Christopher

Members who have read this thread: 0