Anthony's Pugs in print- Mtbr.com
    Diaskeuast

Anthony's Pugs in print

Anthony DeLorenzo, who posts on this forum from Whitehorse, is in the September issue of Up Here magazine with his Pugsley. The magazine has a short story about winter riding and fat bikes, and mentions the Pugsley's "cult status" in Alaska.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Big Karma; 09-12-2008 at 11:43 AM.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

I'm from Utah
    Looking good, Anthony!

When I opened up this thread, I expected the shot to be that picture of Anthony's Pugs about to take a nose dive over a dirt berm. Now there's a shot that belongs in print. ;-)

P.S. Am I the only one annoyed by the fact the ITI is still called "Iditabike" in almost all forms of media? When was the last time a winter race in Alaska was billed as Iditabike? Some of us newbies have never even known it by that name. It's a little like calling Juneau "Harrisburg." It used to be called that, but ...

@adelorenzo
    Personally, I take pride in being called a "Whitehorse cycling nut." It is amazing the number of people who have talked to me about that short article.

It should be a good year for Pugsleys over here, we will go from two in the entire Yukon to at least six that I know of, including a new one for my wife. Only makes sense, we have perfect conditions with cold temps and little snow, plus lots of snow machine traffic to make nice trails.

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Jilleo
    When I opened up this thread, I expected the shot to be that picture of Anthony's Pugs about to take a nose dive over a dirt berm. Now there's a shot that belongs in print. ;-)
    Anthony,
    Speaking about this picture, and I don't mean to pirate this thread, but how the hell did you wind up in that position on a pugs.
    I try to jump mine once in a while with bad results nearly every time. I have learned that mine simply doesn't like to fly.

So, if you don't mind, tell us the story of quite possibly the gnarliest endo every cought on the web.

Thanks in advance.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that is not Anthony pulling off that feat. Perhaps his stunt double. Still, an explanation would be sweet.

@adelorenzo
    Hah, well, it is kind of a funny story... That guy in the pic is my friend Tony. He had just completed a cross-country tour of Canada on a road bike and flew up from Vancouver for a short visit. He's never been on a mountain bike, but we borrowed a bike and took him out a couple of times and he was totally hooked.

Anyways, while he was here he was using my Pugsley to get around town. On our way into town one afternoon, we rolled into the skate park and goofed off a bit -- him on the Pugs and me on my beater fixie.

Anyways, after we had coffee and picked up some supplies for the evening, we were heading back to my place on some trails when Tony saw a few dirt jumps that the kids had been building. First he hit a small one:

Then he was feeling pretty good and decided to hit a bigger one. I was a little nervous -- after all, he's barely ever been on a mountain bike -- but I figured, OK. The result was that photo. As soon as he hit the jump he called out "chicken" and knew he was screwed. As you can see, he came up short on the landing and went over.

The bummer is, I was taking a burst shot. That famous photo was the last of four frames, as I pulled up on the shutter when I saw it going bad. Knowing that it turned out basically OK, I wish I had kept shooting. He actually flipped over so much that he landed flat on his back and the pugs went flying. Other than some scrapes, the only harm was a good shot on the knee from the bars or the frame.

Anyways, there is the story. I haven't been jumping the Pugs since, but never say never...

Wu-Tang Academy Alumni
    Awesome.....................Totally Awesome.

I'm glad no one was hurt in the making of that truely hilarious tale.
    .....cheatin' life, and peelin' out on the lawn.........
    -Sage Francis

Members who have read this thread: 1