Another weekly night ride.- Mtbr.com
    Wood chips are stupid

Another weekly night ride.

Thurs. night seems to be the night for group rides. I have ridden with a couple of groups at night down south and both of them set their club rides on Thurs.nights.So... lets try Kincaid next week. I know of a cool loop with trails some of you may not have been on yet. Most of it is very ridable. There is a couple of steep but short climbs, but nothing that can break us. Technical,but ridable for sure. We should meet at the parking lot just before the first gate so we won't get locked out if we go long for some reason. Try to tell your friends about the rides.Big night ride groups are a blast. The Rutriders of Mentone in SoCal had "showups" so large,they had to break into ability groups! Lets meet at 7:30 pm. Kincaid. Don't forget to charge your lights!

Leo

mtbr member

... and if we just ... Aw......now ya done it......!

Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    Thurs. night seems to be the night for group rides. I have ridden with a couple of groups at night down south and both of them set their club rides on Thurs.nights.So... lets try Kincaid next week. I know of a cool loop with trails some of you may not have been on yet. Most of it is very ridable. There is a couple of steep but short climbs, but nothing that can break us. Technical,but ridable for sure. We should meet at the parking lot just before the first gate so we won't get locked out if we go long for some reason. Try to tell your friends about the rides.Big night ride groups are a blast. The Rutriders of Mentone in SoCal had "showups" so large,they had to break into ability groups! Lets meet at 7:30 pm. Kincaid. Don't forget to charge your lights!

Leo
    If we keep doing night rides I gotta get one of those "new fangled" SUPER bright lights.....
    I'll have to change my handle to "no-money".
    Dave
    ps- I'll try to make it Thurs..
    Idaho Transplant (closet roadie)

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

new fangled bright lights for night rides

I didn't make it to Thursdays ride as the light that I ordered didn't get shipped until Wednesday.

I debated a lot about breaking down and getting a H.I.D. light but I couldn't bring myself to spend that much on a light. I picked up one the of the "Trail Rat 2.0's" that REI had on sale and the cord was so short on it, and REI didn't carry the extensions made me immediately return it. Its brightness was "ok" but I only tested it in my office with the lights shut off.

I ended up ordering a JET after reading several reviews, plus they have great battery life and from MTBR's Light challenge look like they produce about as much light as a H.I.D. They are also reasonably priced and they have been MTBR's top pic for several years. I got mine from Universalcycles.com for like $235 for the Helmet one with Smart Switch, they start at $209 without the smartswitch.

I couldn't find the link to add to this post when I quickly looked for the HID vs Jet Comparison beam pattern but it was reasonably close. Here is MTBR's light challenge from two years ago.. The Jet lights have been redesigned and updated since then too.

http://www.mtbr.com/spotlight/lights/beampattern.shtml

Christopher

Beware of Doggerel

good idea

Great idea, on the regular ride thing. Now all I have to do is actually make it to one of these things.

Dave have you looked at LED lights. I used the new cateye in the Sweet Roll and loved it. The beam is narrow, but it is bright enough. I think they are cheap. I'm not sure which one it is but it is the new one with a single super duper LED. Pat knows the light.

I have a nightrider dual beam system (super bright) that I bought/bartered years ago on the east coast. I haven't used it much since coming to AK because in the winter the snow really reflects a lot of light. Also I find a dimmer light like the LEDs doesn't kill my night vision as much so I get a bigger field of view outside the lit area. Finally the really bright lights actually cut down on your ability to see in heavy falling snow. I find that the bright lights bounce off the falling snowflakes so all you see is a wall of white, while a softer light cuts through and gives you a better view of the terrain. In the winter I rarely get to ride during daylite and I love the LEDs. Also I find that my Nightrider, with its heavy battery, requires 6 to 8 hours to charge, sometimes I am not home that long between rides to and from work. The LEDs take AAs and last a long time.

Now don't get me wrong I am all for any of us buying more cool gear, but you might end up with the LEDs for winter riding anyway.

Adam

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

LED Lights

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    . Pat knows the light.
    The LEDs take AAs and last a long time.
    Now don't get me wrong I am all for any of us buying more cool gear, but you might end up with the LEDs for winter riding anyway.
    Oh I am all for LED systems and if the LED light systems that I have read about that were introduced at Interbike this year were available and I had seen some reviews I might of held off on the Jet.

What I have been riding with all summer and up through now is the new Planet Bike Super Spot 1 Watt LED light (~$30) that uses a new Luxeon bulb. I read a review about it this spring in Dirt Rag and have been super happy with it. Pinnacle Mtn (near Dowling/L.Otis) used to have a bunch of them though the last I checked they were down to their last one. I also run Nimh AA's in it and I think I may still be on my initial charge.

I decided to go with a larger non-LED is that though for road and wide trail riding it was fine but I could outride it, but when I rode the trails it didn't fill shadows and didn't let me see the upcoming terrain fast enough. I read about the new Cateye (with 5 LEDs) that runs about $40 and I understand it is great in the winter, but it still runs the old non-luxeon bulbs. Once the snow hits the ground I will probably go back to just the Super Spot LED for the reasons you stated, but we will have to see I guess.

Christopher

Wood chips are stupid

Night lights for night bikes

The LED lights are great during the winter. As Adam said,they do reflect very well off the snow. I use a Cat Eye(5 LED bulbs) and a head lamp with a dual set up...LED and a halogen bulb. I can go long on a single set of batteries(ALWAYS carry an extra set).The halogen is perfect for locating trail markers in the distance. During the summer I turn to my trusty HID for maximum vision. When your speeds are faster than 10 mph.,a HID or high powered halogen is the ticket. It is almost impossible to out run a HID beam. I use a Light N Motion ARC. The beam is wide and bright. The downside of the HID light systems is the price. $350 and up! Kinda' stupid really,until you use them. If you plan on doing a lot of 24hr.racing or night rides that include fast singletrack and downhills,a HID is hard to beat.

Leo

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Idea! How about a 'survey' of lights..

The beam is wide and bright. The downside of the HID light systems is the price. $350 and up! Kinda' stupid really,until you use them. If you plan on doing a lot of 24hr.racing or night rides that include fast singletrack and downhills,a HID is hard to beat.
    Hey, what does everyone think about getting together in a dark field or on some thing like the Tank Trail off of N. Biovac [sic?] and doing a side-by-side light comparison before it snows (then maybe doing another later once the snow falls and is solid)? Everyone would bring their lights and we take pictures and post them so all of those shopping can really see the difference between them? I bet between just a few people we could really come up with a wide range of lights and it would be similar to the comparison MTBR did a few years ago.

I have the following lights I can bring...
    Planet Bike Super Spot 1W Luxeon Star LED
    http://www.planetbike.com/frontlights.html#
    Planet Bike 5000x Xenon
    http://www.planetbike.com/headlights.html
    Cateye EL-400 LED Saftey Light (mounted to my helmet)
    http://www.cateye.com/en/products/vi...d=7&subCatId=2
    and in a few days I will have this one... which I would love to see a direct comparison to your ARC H.I.D.
    Jet Phantom Single Beam w/Smartswitch
    http://www.jetlites.com/psb_ss.html
    ---
    Leonard it sounds like you have the following EL-300 LED and is the one I saw at the shop :
    http://www.cateye.com/en/products/vi...d=7&subCatId=2

Christopher

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Adam, ya gotta join us.......

Are you working more and enjoying it less????????? Oh, this is a mtb thread! I have all the light I need for snow riding. I have a Cateye EL300 5 LED and after seening the single bulb ones you mentioned at Pat's will probably try one this winter. For now though, I need another light who's battery will attach to my FS frame without a water bottle boss. I checked out the HID's and can't spend that much for a "few rides before it snows" light. I'm going to look for an upgraded battery for my current nightrider.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Adam
    Great idea, on the regular ride thing. Now all I have to do is actually make it to one of these things.

Dave have you looked at LED lights. I used the new cateye in the Sweet Roll and loved it. The beam is narrow, but it is bright enough. I think they are cheap. I'm not sure which one it is but it is the new one with a single super duper LED. Pat knows the light.

I have a nightrider dual beam system (super bright) that I bought/bartered years ago on the east coast. I haven't used it much since coming to AK because in the winter the snow really reflects a lot of light. Also I find a dimmer light like the LEDs doesn't kill my night vision as much so I get a bigger field of view outside the lit area. Finally the really bright lights actually cut down on your ability to see in heavy falling snow. I find that the bright lights bounce off the falling snowflakes so all you see is a wall of white, while a softer light cuts through and gives you a better view of the terrain. In the winter I rarely get to ride during daylite and I love the LEDs. Also I find that my Nightrider, with its heavy battery, requires 6 to 8 hours to charge, sometimes I am not home that long between rides to and from work. The LEDs take AAs and last a long time.

Adam

mtbr member

New question here. Akdeluxe.....verify

Leo
    Verify the time and location of thurs night ride please. I've had some interest in our weekly rides but others have trouble with thurs eve's. Maybe we could do diff nights each week to make the ride work for some others. What do ya think?

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

Ride Photos.

Here is some photos of tonights ride, there was three of us and we were out for about 2 hours and stuck mostly with singletrack. (Sorry for slowing everyone down) ;-> I was impressed with the performance of my Jet non-HID against your guys HIDs.

Rob in black and Leonard (AKDeluxe) in Yellow

A Ski Trail Scarecrow ;->

A blurry pic.. but I still sort of liked it.

Christopher