Annual Alaska All Mountain Tire Survey- Mtbr.com
    Ologist

Annual Alaska All Mountain Tire Survey

This is the 3rd unofficial Alaskan All Mountain Tire survey. I posted this question the last 2 springs with not much response, but I am going to throw it out there again this year. I just ripped opened my Nevegal Tubless coming the The Dome tonight and Stan's sealed the 1" gash enough to ride back to N. Bivouac. I have been really happy with them, but there is no better time to switch than when you need to replace one.

Sooooo, whats been working for you? I have had the best rides on south central trails with WTB Weirwolves and those Nevegals.
    Last edited by Valhalla; 06-12-2007 at 12:17 PM.

Wood chips are stupid

been good to me

The Specialized Dual Roll Xs work well on my bike.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Jul 2006
    Front = Geax Blade
    Rear = Specialized Roll X Pro D2 Bliss

@adelorenzo

Not exactly Alaska, but..

OK, so Yukon isn't Alaska but we're next door and probably have some similar conditions.

I'm riding Panaracer Rampage 29ers. They've got big volume and tough sidewalls that handle me pranging off of roots, stumps and rocks, and they're pretty versatile in mud, clay, sand and hardpack. Probably not the fastest rollers out there, but then again I'm not the fastest pedaler either.

Riding a 26er I tore sidewalls last year on three different tires so I'm pretty stoked about these Rampages.

Wife rides Panaracer Fire XC Pro, but she rides like a princess. I ride more like a drunken ogre.

Regards,
    Anthony

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I've been enjoying my Nobby Nicks so far this season. seams to be a definat improvment over the Roll X

Ologist
    Whatever happened to those Schwalbe Big Jims - looks like a great tire, but I think they got discontinued. Does anybody know if they still sell them?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Right now I'm running tubeless 2.1 maxis ignitors , so far I'm pretty happy,but we shall see as the season wears on. This is my first try at tubless tires.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Kenda Kharmas have been good to me

Baked Alaskan
    Weirwolf 2.5 is my favorite front tire - good grip, good volume and the DNA is a great weight for its size. I forget which one I ran in the rear with it - another WTB, maybe the Nanoraptor 2.4? That was a great XC combo for me - fast, good volume and good grip.

Running the Big Bettys now - which I think replaced the Big Jims in Schwalbes lineup - and so far the jury is still out on them. The rear has been great - but the front skips a little more than I'd like, especially over roots which is a little nerve racking.

Others I like include the Kenda Nevgal/Blue Groove combo - great size/weight ratio no matter which one you're running. I have a Syncros tire I bought on a whim last year and its really similar to the Weir.

Looking to get a Timberwolf in that big 2.7 casing for a nasty front tire to compliment the 66 SL. I think the WTB compound suits my riding and conditions well, they have a new one with big square knobs that looks great, but I can't remember the name.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    26 = Panaracer Fire XC Pro 2.1
    29 = Kenda Nevegal 2.2

Ologist
    For what its worth - I have decided to replace the Nevegal Tubeless with another and call it good. Thanks for the input. sounds like the list is pretty varied.

i drink shower water
    Specialized Chunders on my DH bikes and Specialized Enduro's on my AM bike
    Prison is hard, everything else is easy

Feb 2007

Racing Ralph 2.4

For the 26" bike (5 Spot) my all time favorite the Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4 w/stans - huge volume, very fast, plenty of traction. They really transform the ride.

Current favorite on 29" (Rip 9) are the Nevegals - big, beefy, knobs, high volume and a great ride.
    Last edited by kgrlaw00; 06-19-2007 at 09:38 PM.

Mr.Secret
    2.1 Exiwolf's with prestas........
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

Ologist
    Folks over at AK Spokes brought up the AK specific tire conversation and since I am looking to replace my Nevegal USTs on my 5" Trail bike I thought I would revive this thread.

My UST short list is Racing Ralphs, Continental Mtn. Kings, Maxxis Ignitors and WTB Prowlers.

What are folks riding on in 2009?

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    The Specialized Dual Roll Xs work well on my bike.

akdeluxe
    I'm on my second pair of Specialized Roll X Pros, and still love 'em.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Ologist
    "I'm on my second pair of Specialized Roll X Pros, and still love 'em."

BK - Are those still readily available?

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    "I'm on my second pair of Specialized Roll X Pros, and still love 'em."

BK - Are those still readily available?
    I'm not sure. The Bicycle Shop on Northern Lights has had them in stock sometimes in the past. Last time I needed a pair, there was a 10-day wait for a special order. It was easier to have my nephew mail a set from his shop in Wyoming.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

My AK Tires

Lenz Leviathon 29R- Racing Ralph F & R
    Salsa Fargo 29R- WTB Vulpine F& R
    Turner 5 Spot - Exi's F& R
    Ibis Ripley - Racing Ralphs or Exis'

Ologist
    Do you think the Exis corner well? How are they when we get that thin layer of Alaska snot?

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Exi's and turns

I have an extensive motorcross background, so my style of turning may be a little bit different than some riders. I had to really lean into turns while racing my Husqvarnas or die, so its instinctive for me to adjust my weight bias towards the front by having a little more bend in my elbows and more body lean than most riders would have. My Exi's rail with my riding style. They work well for me, they may not work for other riders.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Do you think the Exis corner well? How are they when we get that thin layer of Alaska snot?

Ologist
    Thanks Rio for the input.

No one else would like to share their tire experiences??

mtbr member
    Nevegal 2.35 DTC up front, aprox 33psi........Rode the Prowler XT 2.3 last fall @ 35psi when it was pretty soggy with the rain and mud in the upper section of the hillside outa the flat-top parking lot before you got to Prospect Heights...., didnt clear out as well, still did ok. Not sure what would of worked in that mud bog.

Had an injury over the winter, and just now have gotten back out on the bike, and running the same combo on the trails. Nevegal/Prowler

I am a faithful Nevegal 2.35 up front type of person, will always run that tire. The Prowler XT 2.3 is doing very well, good traction in the climbs, brakes very good, handles roots, rocks, loose, and the conditions I have encountered in all the new STA trails on the hillside. In the faster downhill sections I have not gotten it to slide or drift to bad in the corners rolling in with some serious speed. Rolls decently as well.

If I had to swap...only change I would make would be another Nevegal 2.25 DTC on the rear.

Ologist
    Anyone use the Maaxis Ignitors? I might just replace the rear if the Ignitors can shed mud better than the Nevegal.

Wood chips are stupid

I do

I have Ignitors on one of my bikes. No mud rides yet. They work really well in the desert. What does that tell you?

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Got the Prowler XT 2.3 out today in the damp conditions today on the STA trails. The trails are like glue right now and I have never cornered so hard on my bike. They are setting up very well.

Only complaint is with the damp conditions, didnt seem to like the roots as well on the climbs, found myself over the bars a couple of times.

May 2004
    From the tires I've used on my Id and Spot, I'd rank them as follows:

1.) WTB ExiWolf
    2.) Fire XC Pro
    3.) Kenda Nevegal

This is based on the typical soft dirt trails that are most common up here. If I was going to ride on a more constant rock surface, like down in Arizona or Utah, I'd go with the Nevegals.

Members who have read this thread: 0