Anchorage in July- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anchorage in July

I will be vacationing/visiting friends in Anchorage July 11-17 and would love to get an opportunity to ride while I am there. So a few questions.

I plan on bringing shoes and pedals and am looking for a place I can rent a bike. Is there anywhere I can rent a decent XC bike? I normally ride a 29" SS but for the sake of being able to ride anything besides a hybrid will do.

Are there any MTB group rides in the area I could jump in?

Trail recomendations? I have read the trail reviews here but my question is... if I only had one day to ride where should I go or what shouldnt I miss?

Any thoughts or tips are appreciated.

Bikes are good

Where are you coming from?

What kind of riding do you do? There is a 40 mile trail that I wouldn't miss if I was coming up here. (Resurrection Pass) otherwise, Lost Lake is 16 miles and also a "no misser".

www.arcticbike.org

follow the links to the touring division schedule and see what they are up to. On the weekends, they usually ride the peninsula. Weekdays are shorter in town rides, generally.
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

Aug 2007
    Watch out for the cowparsnip!

Bikes are good

Dmat

You got a DHR I can borrow for my Whistler trip?
    "Having lack of self-preservation makes biking more fun."

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    We have decent xc bikes for rent in our shop in Palmer, Backcountry Bikes-746-5018. As for the riding, it depends on whether you have time to hit the Peninsula or not. As mentioned above, Resurrection is definitely a "can't miss". We just rode Devils Pass to Hope yesterday and the trail is in great shape. Otherwise, there is good riding on the Anchorage Hillside, or out here the trails where the 24 hr race is next weekend, Kepler-Bradley.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I will technically be in staying in Eagle River so I will make a trip out to Palmer to pick up a bike.

As for time, I have plenty of it, especially for some mtb'ing.

For the ride, Resurection Pass might be the one. The distance (40 miles?) doesnt worry me nor do minor mechanicals while riding. But, is that the kind of ride someone should do on their own?

Wood chips are stupid

not a solo ride

It would be a good idea to go with someone on that ride. Its kinda long and pretty remote as soon as you leave the trail heads.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Members who have read this thread: 0