Anchorage and Fairbanks in Sept.- Mtbr.com

Jan 2009

New question here. Anchorage and Fairbanks in Sept.

I am assuming it will be too snowy/bad weather to ride in Mid september, but I figure its worth asking.

My golden birthday (25 on Sept 25th) is this year and I am thinking of heading to Alaska to see the Northern lights and hopefully do some Mt. Biking or snowboarding.

Thoughs, recomendations (for biking, boarding, northern lights), advice you could give??

Thanks everyone!!!

(also, any adivice on getting from Anchorage to Fairbanks?? A little tough to get flights out your way)

AJ

Alaska Turner Mafia
    Quote Originally Posted by rollout925
    I am assuming it will be too snowy/bad weather to ride in Mid september, but I figure its worth asking.

I lived in Fairbanks almost 20 years, and Sept was always one of my favorite months. Not snowy yet, but could be rainy. Often the Indian Summer conditions prevailed and the fall colors were fantastic. Outdoor activity that month was always a must for me. By all means give it a shot. Expect cool days, cooler nights, about an even amount of daylight and darkness, but not freezing conditions around the clock and easy to prepare for. By then you can anticipate frosty nights, but snow....probably not, not quite at mid month. Change happens fast though as darkness increases, as I've seen a bunch of 20 below Halloweens!

My golden birthday (25 on Sept 25th) is this year and I am thinking of heading to Alaska to see the Northern lights and hopefully do some Mt. Biking or snowboarding.
    Mt. biking can be iffy if you respect the trails in rainy weather, but if the sun is out, the scenery can be spectacular and rides should not be missed. Don't think you can come up here and see a ton of the state in a short time though, this state is huge. Concentrate on limiting your highway or airplane travel and explore one region to the fullest. Two suggestions: Kenai Peninsula trails and the Interior centered around the Denali Highway. Animals are very active and fall colors are really vivid. Northern Lights are always hit and miss, kind of like going some place and hoping it doesn't rain. You may see them, you may not. Mid-winter around Fairbanks is your best bet, but the weather can be brutal and it would require a second trip.

also, any advice on getting from Anchorage to Fairbanks?? A little tough to get flights out your way
    Flights between the two really are easy and frequent. If you can get a rental car though the drive between can be spectacular, plus it would allow you to ride a ton of interesting areas as you pass through. Or if you're adventurous, make that your bike touring agenda. It's 350 miles or so apart, and you could take in a variety of terrain as you cycle up to, through, and north of the Alaska Range.

Sounds like you could have some truly fun times ahead. Good luck, I hope it happens for you.
    Deceleration Trauma is my middle name

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I wouldn't expect to see any snow in September. You MIGHT get a small snow shower, but no noticeable buildup that would hinder riding. As Endo said above, it can be a great time to ride since you can see through the trees. Usually, you wouldn't expect to see any amount of snow until mid to late October, maybe later depending on the year.

There are lots of flights between Fairbanks and Anchorage. If nothing else, I think there are shuttles that run daily or you could just rent a car for the trip.

Members who have read this thread: 0