Anchorage Area Tires- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anchorage Area Tires

What tires work best for the Anchorage area terrrain?

Thanks!

Diaskeuast
    Most of my friends ride WTB tires, so I suspect you'll get a lot of recommendations for them. I'm sure they're good. However, I'm a big fan of Specialized Roll X Pros. They're light, pretty durable, and provide some of the most reliable traction of any tire I've used. Last fall, I replaced a worn-out pair with a brand-new set because I couldn't give them up.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

Mr.Secret
    WTB ExiWolf 1.95 2.1 2.3 They work great on everything I've had them on or in in South Central Ak............but wait, what do I know ?
    ...think we'll ever get outta' this world alive ?...

The devil is an angel too
    Mar 2005
    Kenda Kinetics have worked fine for me, as long as things stay dry. People also seem to like Panaracer Fires.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have some Specialized Enduro Tires that seem to "Pack up" whenever they get wet. On my Yeti I have some WTBs that are pretty worn ... Lots to consider.

I want a tire is sort of an all terrain type tire. I have been looking at the WTB Weirwolfs, Nobbly Nics, XC Fires, and a few others.....

What's the best bike shop in town for tire selection?

Thanks!

Caveman
    Just keep your studs on, summer is short.

rio
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Wtb

The Exiwolf tires that RTR mentioned are awesome in the muck and dry, but what do I know ? Is that they work for me !

Quote Originally Posted by mtbike_AK
    What tires work best for the Anchorage area terrrain?

Thanks!

Ologist
    I love Kenda Nevegals. They are the fastest rolling, grippiest tire I have used to date. They do wear pretty quick.

If you are talking Kincaid and Campbell I wouldn't even get that aggrresive. The most technical thing at Kincaid is that layer of slick mud that forms after rain and the dew on the grass in the morning. MAybe something like a Hutch Scorpion?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    I love Kenda Nevegals. They are the fastest rolling, grippiest tire I have used to date. They do wear pretty quick.

If you are talking Kincaid and Campbell I wouldn't even get that aggrresive. The most technical thing at Kincaid is that layer of slick mud that forms after rain and the dew on the grass in the morning. MAybe something like a Hutch Scorpion?
    Terrain I am thinking of is upper Hillside, Power Line Trail, Indian Ridge, etc. More interested in something somewhat burly for that type of terrain. I also don't want something that wears out fast. Wish they would fix that on the Nevegals....

Ologist
    I was using the WTB Weirwolves prior to the Kendas. Super grippy, low tread wear, but they don't roll like the Kendas.

Baked Alaskan
    The Weirwolf 2.5 is my all time fave front tire. I run various rears, kenda, schwalbe and so on. The Weir seems to grip everything up here pretty well. Haven't tried the Exi's, but lots like em. The Kenda Blue Groove/Nevgal combo is a winner too, 2.35 rear and 2.5 front. I'm going to try the Schwalbe Big Betty's and a few others this year. But so far the Weir and the BG/Nev are my faves.
    The red couch has moved from Alaska to Florida...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Chris
    The Weirwolf 2.5 is my all time fave front tire. I run various rears, kenda, schwalbe and so on. The Weir seems to grip everything up here pretty well. Haven't tried the Exi's, but lots like em. The Kenda Blue Groove/Nevgal combo is a winner too, 2.35 rear and 2.5 front. I'm going to try the Schwalbe Big Betty's and a few others this year. But so far the Weir and the BG/Nev are my faves.

What options do I have if I go the UST route? Not sure there are many tires that wide in UST...

Ologist
    Those Nevegals are tubless

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    Those Nevegals are tubless

The largest UST tires I found on Kenda's website are 2.1?? Would love to find some UST tires "fatter." Where did you get yours?

Members who have read this thread: 0