Anchorage in April/May- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Anchorage in April/May

I'm from Denver. Might get chance to go out for business and stay in Anchorage a couple of weeks in either April or May. Just wanted to know if I should bother bringing my bike or not. I ride an 07' Spesh Enduro. I like riding aggressive XC/AM type stuff. Just looking to get some input on whether it would be worth bringing her along or not. Thanks. And if anyone wants to show me around while I'm there that would be sweet too.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    That is a tough time up here b/c that is right in the middle of melt-out. April tends to be road bike season and May can be good or bad, usually bad, still too early. For what it would cost to bring your bike up, you'd probably be better off checking things out when you get here and if things are ridable, you can always rent, probably for less.

...and not much what you would call aggressive XC up here unless you're poaching, regardless of conditions . None of that would be doable in April/May anway.

Diaskeuast
    April and May are sloppy. That's road-bike season, starting as soon as the pavement is ice-free about mid-April. The trails are generally closed until June 1, though they can sometimes be ridden a week or 10 days early if we have a really warm, dry spring. I wouldn't plan on doing any mountain biking.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    thanks for the input. so aren't there dh/fr trails out there? i could've sworn i've seen some mtn biking video with shots from Alaska.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

There are some.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roo78
    thanks for the input. so aren't there dh/fr trails out there? i could've sworn i've seen some mtn biking video with shots from Alaska.
    but, nothing like you're use to. The existing trail system we have does not lend itself well to dh/fr. We certainly have the terrain for it, but the numbers and advocates are just not there in mass yet. The local ski resort in Girdwood is trying to get something off the ground, but I'm not too hopeful it will last.

AK has some excellent AM/XC riding (world class IMO) from June until snow which ususally occurs in Oct.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich

Caveman
    bring backcountry skis.

Members who have read this thread: 0