Anchorage in April- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Anchorage in April

Hey there, I'll be up in Anchorage the week of April 17 - 22. Will the local trails be rideable around that time of year? Sorry for the naive question, never been up there before, would love to rent a bike and get out and see the trails. Thanks

Jason
    Portland Oregon

Jun 2003

Paved yes.

Off road, no. The off road trails do not officially open until June 1. That being said, there is lots of good riding on the pave' that time of year.

Caveman

breakup

That time you mention is pretty much the dead middle of Breakup -When all the snow melts and things are generally pretty sloppy for riding - still good sping skiing though...

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails

What About Gull Rock, Early Season Rides?

Quote Originally Posted by jpkarnezis
    Hey there, I'll be up in Anchorage the week of April 17 - 22. Will the local trails be rideable around that time of year? Sorry for the naive question, never been up there before, would love to rent a bike and get out and see the trails. Thanks

Jason
    Portland Oregon
    Well, the 'in town' trails will be closed but a few out of town trails may be open. I know that I have done Gull Rock several times in Early May before and this year is a relatively dry year so i am guessing it will be dried out by then (except for maybe the 1st mile). Not a great, nor an easy trail, but a fun and challenging one.

Depending on the conditions of course, there is also some out in the valley that I believe may be ridable by then.

As far as 'other' ideas.. what about "Bird Creek Trails", the Bird to Gird paved trail if you are just looking to ride.. anyone else got any legal early season rides they are willing to share?

Christopher

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Vally trails

Hey Jason,

The trails out in the valley should be dry by mid April, Call us toll free 1-866-354-2453 for an update before you fly up.

Tony Berberich
    Alaska Backcountry Bike Tours
    www.mountainbikealaska.com