Anc to Denali- Mtbr.com

Thread: Anc to Denali

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Anc to Denali

In an effort to visit all the Alaskan breweries this summer..

I'm planning a bike tour in June. I'll be leaving Anchorage in mid-June, heading up to Glenallen, up to Paxson, across the Denali Hwy to Cantwell and up to Healy. I'll be staying at the BB with my family. I'm planning 60-70 miles a day...maybe more...still trying to figure out best place to stop each night.

I'm going to go visit Silver Gulch Brewery. I'm not sure if I'm going to bike up to Fox from Healy (120 mi) or if I'm going to catch a ride to FBX and then do the short trip from there.

I'll be catching a ride back down with family. My CR-V isn't big enough for another person but I could throw your bike on my roof rack if you wanted to catch the train or something else back.

If anyone is interested in riding along (part/some) give me a PM / e-mail.

Stay tuned for the Kenai/Kodiak Brewhaha and the Juneau/Sitka/Haines Brewery Tour (if I can $wing it) sometime this summer...

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    For you folks that have ridden the Denali Hwy (read a post from Pat and some others back in 2004)...what kind of average speed did you maintain? I'm trying to figure how long it will take me to get across.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    For you folks that have ridden the Denali Hwy (read a post from Pat and some others back in 2004)...what kind of average speed did you maintain? I'm trying to figure how long it will take me to get across.
    I rode it with a couple of friends in 2000, and we kept a fairly leisurely pace. We rode from Paxson to Cantwell in four days with plenty of time for long meal breaks and relaxing evenings.

We did it as a "supported tour." My wife drove an SUV pulling a trailer full of all our gear each day while the rest of us just pedaled. We would all meet up for lunch at mid-day, and at camp each afternoon. (This makes a very nice way of doing it, by the way.) We took this approach because the friends who rode with me had little experience and weren't very strong riders.

It's 135 miles, so even with your touring load, you could probably do it just fine in four 34-mile days. That would allow plenty of time to take long breaks to enjoy the scenery.

I'm sure you could do it in three, or even two days if you wanted to hammer, but what's the fun in that? If you've never been there before, I recommend taking it easy enough to enjoy the area.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Cool thanks for the info. I'm in a bit of a time crunch (thanks to work...) and have to meet up with others at DNP on a certain day so I was thinking 2-3 days.

Dec 2006
    sounds like a sweet ride my tour plans changed because the train arrives in Whittier 20 minutes before the ferry leaves, the ferry wants 1 hour check in time so instead Iam heading down to Granite Creek after the semester and stay down there then come back for summer school

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Where were you planning on going from Whittier?

I'm trying to figure out the best way to get to/from Juneau. I'm thinking I'll end up flying currently $330 (+ $100 in bike fees) on Alaskan. I want to visit the breweries in Juneau/Sitka/Haines and maybe Whitehorse (Yukon Brewery) if I can get the time off work.

Dec 2006
    I only have about a week off starting May 5ish until the 15th I was originally planning to go to Glennallen by Whittier ferry Valdez but I just don't have the time Calculus and Techincal writing means I need to jumpstart my semester early wish I could put more miles on my LHT though

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Change of plans...I've heard from a few folks that going up the Glenn sucks especially the traffic through the Valley. I'm thinking of taking the ferry from Whittier to Valdez and riding up to Paxson from there. I've seen that route crewing for my buddy who did the FW400and it's sweet...(climbing Thompson Pass will be a beeotch but coming down will rock)

Any comments from you guys?

Mar 2007
    once you get past palmer the ride up the glen is fantastic though a little narrow, good shoulder all the way to king river . From king river to hicks creek is narrow but traffic is minimal, once past hicks creek there is great shoulder all the way to glenallen some of the best views, great hills at chickaloon and long lake and caribou creek and good eats at long rifle and sheep mountain construction now at hicks creek bridge but lots of new pavement well worth the ride

Dec 2006
    do you know how traffic gets around the train station area... seems if you take the train there would be minimal traffic from the train station to Glenallen... I think the fare comes to about 40 dollars with a bicycle from Anchorage to Wasilla, also take a gander at google earth since most of the glenn highway shows up if you zoom in you can see vehicle traffic and decide that way...

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Hmm...wasn't aware train was an option...thanks for that info.

Edit: $50 +$20 for bike since it'll be high season. I could get it a little cheaper from base.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    I've pretty much decided to go from Valdez up. Is it easy to catch a ride through the Whittier tunnel on a bike? I figure I could stick my bike in the back of a pickup and offer to pay the way through. Is there usually a large line of trucks waiting to go through?

I'll have to leave the house early to ride down there and catch the 0830 "fast" ferry and maybe look around, I've never been down there, so I'm wondering if there is a line of people going through at 0530/0630/0730.

Thanks

HIYAH
    Just curious -- what kind of bike do you plan on riding?
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    A Long Haul Trucker

Members who have read this thread: 0