Aluminum Snowbikes?- Mtbr.com

Nov 2007

Aluminum Snowbikes?

Where are the Aluminum framed snowbikes? Seems like an obvious cost/corrosion/weight choice. The big tires should quiet any objections to the material.

I can see a volume produced snow/sand/adventure bike with the entry model at 35 pounds and $1,200. Just a matter of time before a major manufacturer takes the plunge.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Perhaps soon...

Ha, ha, there may be some people working on just such a project.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

wwhaaaaatt...

what could you possibly mean by that???????????????? Now get off the computer and go sell some bikes or something.

Ak29
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

Fatback

Aluminum Fatback

There will be aluminum Fatback's available soon, but you still won't get them down to $1200. You have to understand economy of scale. Most prices seen online are not indicative of costs, just someone's overstock they are trying to get rid of, often for less than cost. Aluminum's cold weather properties are not preferable over ti, they are just less expensive.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

No, that's not phonetic
    Will the Alu Fatbacks use the same setup as the Ti versions? 165mm rear hub spacing, etc?

Looking forward to seeing the final product.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

Fatback
    Keeping most things under wraps for now. Didn't really want to let the cat out of the bag, but what can you do. By the way Cheezy, met some good friends of your recently-nice folks. Raved about the riding you've got going on down there. Nice work.
    Speedway Cycles owner http://fatbackbikes.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Choices...

It sounds like fatheads will have a number of choices (and soon), and you just can't argue with that. I heard from someone that a new, titanium snow bike will be available next month. Someone told me it's called the 9:ZERO:7. Hmmm...can't really say too much more other than the aluminum version is not too far behind it.

I thought we might have scooped Greg, but, alas, he's on the same wavelength....
    Last edited by bflemin; 11-21-2008 at 12:43 AM.

mtbr member

Cagefight!

Quote Originally Posted by bflemin
    a new, titanium snow bike will be available next month. Someone told me it's called the 9:ZERO:7. I thought we might have scooped Greg, but, alas, he's on the same wavelength....
    When will the (907) prototype make it's debut?

What about the rear hub? Will there be many choices or will it be just one like the Hadley 165?
    Last edited by Alhansen; 11-21-2008 at 11:16 AM. Reason: More questions

Ologist
    It sounds like fatheads will have a number of choices (and soon), and you just can't argue with that. I heard from someone that a new, titanium snow bike will be available next month. Someone told me it's called the 9:ZERO:7. Hmmm...can't really say too much more other than the aluminum version is not too far behind it.

I thought we might have scooped Greg, but, alas, he's on the same wavelength....
    Yes, spill the beans and tell us what you know.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    I'd rather ride steel than aluminum. I'm not really afraid of rust. I've gotten a good handle on it over the years and my frames stay clean inside. Aluminum still corrodes when exposed to salt.

No, that's not phonetic
    Say what? I own a Pugs and it is a rust bucket. I also own about a dozen aluminum bikes (one of which is "raw" i.e., no further finishing once it was pulled out of the heat treat oven) and they show zero sign of any corrosion including my old alu townie commuters that I ride on salted roads all winter. Ti is the shiz, no doubt, but I am looking forward to seeing what the new alu snaux bikes look like for sure.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Try using Framesaver.

No, that's not phonetic
    I slathered the inside with linseed oil and let it dry as per Surly's instructions, but hey, it's steel and I ride it in coastal Alaska...

Billy--Arctic Cycles
    Oct 2007
    Looks like I will have more options for Rentals.

mtbr member
    Given the abuse a fatty type bike sees (racks loaded to the nuts, thrown around in alder thickets, endless low cadence/hi torque type pedalling), an Al frame would have to be pretty seriously overbuilt, so the potential weight savings compared to Steel would be pretty minimal IMHO. Now sloshing about in Salt, thats a whole different story, but why would you want to do that eh??

Caveman
    hey, Rust is the new powdercoat & red metal primer is as good as bead blasted ti...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

A few hints...

We should see two prototypes in a few weeks. After Jamey and I rigorously test ride it, we will order a run of sizes for the shop. I can't get into the specifics, but the superiority of the 100mm BB shell pared with a wide hub in the back is not being questioned. The 9:ZERO:7 will implement both of these features. We are looking at the frame as merely one part of a system optimized for snow travel, so in addition to a CAD file, we have supplied the frame builders with a built wheel incorporating a 100mm rim and a 160mm wide hub. We also supplied a pair of Mr Whirly cranks and some other goodies. Since the builders are literally building the frame to spec around these components, we should achieve a very high degree of integration. Quality control will be very high, since this is a domestically produced frame. This same approach is being applied the aluminum 9:ZERO:7, which will come later.

Anyway, the wait for these frames is killing me, and I'll post some pictures as soon as we have them built up.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Did you mean a 165mm rear hub and not 160?

mtbr member

He said WHAT?

Yeah, I must've misheard him too, because it sounded like he said "160 mm". Whatever the case, I guess we now know what they'll be riding in the Frosty Bottom (unless they'd rather have a test-pilot who better knows his way around a fat-tire bike...).
    Also, and this is a small point (mine always are), it seems like they're really pushing the Nine-colon-colon:-7ven thing. I hope they just call it the (907), since I'm such a poor speller and "ZERO" has like three or four syllables in it and takes longer for me to say than "oh". Plus it looks cooler. Capitalized words look like YELLING. And, I just noticed, the shift key must be held down or the caps-lock pressed when typing it. That is so not feng-shui. All kinds of problems with this bike already.

Ologist
    That is pretty funny....

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Okay, first off, I don't appreciate my colon being the topic of conversation on a public forum. My colon is my business. Wait...oh, you're talking about the bike. Never mind...

Alright, I'll concede the point. Typing 9:ZERO:7 on a keyboard is clearly very difficult. We're not going to change the name, but if you'd like to refer to it as the 907, so be it - no skin off our noses. We'll understand what you're talking about...

Yes, the 9:ZERO:7 will utilize a 160mm hub.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    How about 162.5 so we can choose?

mtbr member

Question...

...I don't appreciate my colon being the topic of conversation on a public forum. My colon is my business...
    Sorry. Didn't mean to make your brown-eye blue. I wasn't really talking about your business-business.

Where were we? Ah, yes. The configuration. So how many gears do you have on the cassette when you're using the 100mm rim and 160 hub, like, three? Or are you using strange alien technology to keep the chain from eating the sidewall of the Endomorph? Or did you go with the tried and true Surly-style offset frame to get the clearance, Clarence? When you sent them the 100mm wheel was it dished or centered? That's kinda like the offset frame-question, I guess, pardon the redundancy. When will the first batch of frames be for sale? Will you sell bare frames? How much will they cost? Can I get spinny rims for it? Is there a place to put a 16" subwoofer?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

how many syllables?

[QUOTE=Alhansen ...I hope they just call it the (907), since I'm such a poor speller and "ZERO" has like three or four syllables in it ...[/QUOTE]

I think "ZERO" has only two syllables, but does contain four letters. Maybe Big Karma can confirm this for us.

Anyway, happy riding.

Ak29
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

mtbr member

Good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Ak29
    I think "ZERO" has only two syllables, but does contain four letters. Maybe Big Karma can confirm this for us.
    Anyway, happy riding. Ak29

That would be a stellar idea, since English is his primary language. I, being inadequately equipped as a mere dabbler, would welcome any grammatical enlightenment.

A potential hurdle in that course would be the circumstantial evidence which exist pointing to the possibility that I occupy a high (if virtual) position on his "Ignore" list. Perhaps someone could "PM" him the request. I tried. Nobody home (or, at least, the lights weren't on).

mtbr member
    So what does a domestically made ti snow bike that is not even in the prototype phase yet have to do with a mass produced, inexpensive aluminum snow bike?
    Nice thread jack Bill.
    Sounds to me like you're a long way from a aluminum snow bike.

More choices in snow bikes is a good thing, but the 160 will limit your gear choices, but if you ditch the big ring which makes sense on a snow bike, it should work fine.

mtbr member
    aluminum snow bike ????? sounds like an open discussion to me. better scold those who mentioned steel also. hijack? i think not. but hey, i still ride a ti hard tail with studs.
    Last edited by ak greeff; 11-25-2008 at 10:10 PM.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ak29
    Es verdad, Ak29. I tend to overlook these things for Alhansen and just let him run unfettered—as long as he stays on legal terrain.

I have an Ignore list? Cool. This will give me a solution to that old akdeluxe problem! BTW, my lights are usually turned off here because I've mostly migrated to that other forum.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Karma
    Es verdad, Ak29....my lights are usually turned off here because I've mostly migrated to that other forum.
    Kay. I just thought you turned them off only when I pull into the driveway.

Oh, and Feliz Navidad (I think that rhymes with yours...). We're, like, talking other languages and stuff now; awesome. Guten morgen, too. That's a fun one. "He's got the whole world in his hands...", I'm with you, I caught your subcurrent. I'm down with your entendre.

mtbr member

160mm Uber Alles!

Given the King hubs are available in 160, i'd say its the way to go. Can't imagine ever missing a big ring on a frame like this.
    Out of curiosity, were the King hubs available when the FatBack was in its conceptual phase?
    Can't wait to see the new Speedway frame, if its anything like the Ti version, its going to be sa-weet

Nov 2008

Smile suspicious activity at ChainReaction Bikes

Yeah...

I was just at ChainReaction Bikes today and saw a "hundie" mm hoop w/ Endo out on the floor unlaced and just sitting there out of place ..

I asked the kid behind the counter what was going on , since all they have are Pugs; and, he grinned and replied something about an aluminum frame w/ a 160mm rr dropout, ect that is on the horizon. Other than that he wouldn't spill any more beans. He wouldn't tell me bb width, offset/symmetric chain stays, projected prices, ect

so, it would seem that somebody has detected this possible market niche! Happy trails.

- jg

is buachail foighneach me
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker

i think that's a very good idea.

@adelorenzo
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker
    I wonder , would that be a good idea on an aluminum frame?. Steel, sure, but AFAIK aluminum would prefer not to be flexed like that.

No, that's not phonetic
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    Steel, sure, but AFAIK aluminum would prefer not to be flexed like that.
    There are lots of aluminum frames that are out of alignment more than 2.5mm in rear wheel spacing, where the rear end needs to be spread/pulled to clamp the wheel, and it does not hurt the at all.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by anthony.delorenzo
    I wonder , would that be a good idea on an aluminum frame?. Steel, sure, but AFAIK aluminum would prefer not to be flexed like that.
    It would be fine. Stays are a long enough lever that the flex would be minimal and distributed out considerably.

mtbr member
    Really, even if the frame is built around a 160mm hub, given that a dummy axle is typically 2mm longer than the hub spacing, stuffing a 165 in there is not going to be the end of the world. I can slap a frame on the alignment table and align the DO's to get an extra 5mm (2.5mm a side) with no issues. Wouldn't want to do it over and over.

Members who have read this thread: 0