Almost in Alaska- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Almost in Alaska

Just thought I'd say 'hi' - my husband and I are soon (hopefully!) going to be moving to Anchorage, AK....just got to get the house down here in Ohio sold!

Really excited to see an Alaska board here on mtbr. Looking forward to hooking up with some of you to check out the trails around our new hometown. I ride a Titus Loco Moto; my husband has a Cannondale Gemini; we love technical singletrack.

Hey, as long as I have the attention of you Alaska experts - where do you think would be a nice neighborhood to find a condo (under $200K) in the Anchorage area? Concerned about safety, aesthetics, and commuting (both to potential work areas & recreation).

Thanks, and hope to be Alaska bound soon!!!!

Jun 2003

Greetings!

Quote Originally Posted by Kristine
    Just thought I'd say 'hi' - my husband and I are soon (hopefully!) going to be moving to Anchorage, AK....just got to get the house down here in Ohio sold!

Really excited to see an Alaska board here on mtbr. Looking forward to hooking up with some of you to check out the trails around our new hometown. I ride a Titus Loco Moto; my husband has a Cannondale Gemini; we love technical singletrack.

Hey, as long as I have the attention of you Alaska experts - where do you think would be a nice neighborhood to find a condo (under $200K) in the Anchorage area? Concerned about safety, aesthetics, and commuting (both to potential work areas & recreation).

I live in Anchorage, and also ride a Gemini!

As far as a condo goes, $200,000 is a decent home up here. Look itto the Jewel Lake area. Decent schools, nice area. You will also be ok in the Independance Park (sp?) area.
    If you find a place that you are looking into, let me know. I will take a ride and check it out for you. I grew up here, so I can tell quickly if the area is ok. Overall, Anchorage is a great place to live.
    As for commuting, there is around 250 miles of paved (sort of) trails in the Anchorage area.

Looking forward to meeting you. Be sure to stop into the LBS and see me. The Bicycle Shop, 1035 W. Northern Lights Blvd. in Anchorage. We are a Trek, pecialized, Cannondale and Rocky Mountain dealership, and the largest shop in the state.

Check out www.arcticbike.org for racing and touring info.

Later.

Jan 2004

Good job!

~Hello~

Heres a link to the Alaska Multiple Listing Service.
    realtime inventory for over 250+ local realtors.

http://www.alaskarealestate.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Welcome from Pat's Bikes

We'll help any way we can. And the best shop, although not the biggest, is my shop here at Kaladi bros. Coffee, the best cafe in the state! Feel free to stop by and bring Damion with you so he can see what real bikes are like. Safe travels, pat

mtbr member

Good job! Hi!

This Alaska board is great. I have met some nice people here. Welcome to Ak....a bit early maybe but welcome just the same. I can't add anything about the housing but we can sure help you find some great riding. Oh, I also ride a Locomoto!!
    Post when your headed this way.
    Dave

Jun 2003

You are killing me.

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    We'll help any way we can. And the best shop, although not the biggest, is my shop here at Kaladi bros. Coffee, the best cafe in the state! Feel free to stop by and bring Damion with you so he can see what real bikes are like. Safe travels, pat
    ROFLMAO. (figure that one out...) I am always looking for real bikes. We have met before, Pat. Only once. I will stop in and check it out. Later.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks!

Hey everyone, thanks for the warm welcomes! Looking forward to stopping at BOTH Damion's AND Pat's bike shops!

And, of course, can't wait to try out the local trails....hopefully it won't be too agonizingly slow before our house sells and we can get on the road....I'm just not a patient woman!

I've checked out the Arctic Bicycle Club web page before - that also looks like a good way to meet fellow mountain bikers & find good trails.

Thanks for the real estate link, too....I have been looking at the listings, but doesn't make too much sense to pursue that too much further until my house is sold & I can make a 'reconnaisance trip' up to Anchorage to check things out before the move!

AKDave - I think I saw a picture of your Loco under the Titus board - blue, isn't it? So's mine. I just love it.

Well, see you all up there - hopefully sooner than later! If it's later....well, I adore skiing as well (both downhill and cross country.)

Kristine
    Anchorage-bound Buckeye

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks Damion

for having a sense of humor. Too many Huffys this week and it's sending us over the edge. Sorry for bashing ya'lls shop, I'm just jealous....
    See you guys on the trails, Pat

Jun 2003

No sweat...

for having a sense of humor. Too many Huffys this week and it's sending us over the edge. Sorry for bashing ya'lls shop, I'm just jealous....
    See you guys on the trails, Pat
    When your shop is open for 5 decades, I am sure you will be loving life. Too bad you will be like, what? 110? We see a huge flow of Huffy's at the shop. Glad to share the wealth on that one. Later.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Huffy Love

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    When your shop is open for 5 decades, I am sure you will be loving life. Too bad you will be like, what? 110? We see a huge flow of Huffy's at the shop. Glad to share the wealth on that one. Later.
    I'll be sure to tell everyone that The Bike Shop is the only ones who fix Huffy's, or is it Huffies? Anyone up for a ride soon?
    pat

Jun 2003

No skin off of my nose.

I'll be sure to tell everyone that The Bike Shop is the only ones who fix Huffy's, or is it Huffies? Anyone up for a ride soon?
    pat
    I do not touch them for the most part. There is a team of mechanics that do those repairs all day long. Gotta love it. Wink wink.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

try this neighborhood

I live on the east side. It's very close (less than 10min. of riding) to an unbelievable variety of trails.
    Find a map of Anchorage and look roughly in the Tudor and Boniface area. If its a topo map look just to the south and east of this area. You'll see tons of wilderness areas (owned by the muni, state, and federal entities). They're trails everywhere and in every direction. I've ridden for five years on these surrounding trails and still am finding new ones here and there. On a day you want to climb you can go as high as 1500'. Or spend hours exploring tight single track.

My wife and I chose this spot specifically for the abundance of trails. Ok that was my criteria......
    Hope this helps.
    Let me know if you want more info....
    Phil
    [email protected]

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    [QUOTE=superphil-anchorage]I live on the east side. It's very close (less than 10min. of riding) to an unbelievable variety of trails....QUOTE]

Phil -

Thanks for the advice. I can - and do - drool over Anchorage maps all the time to try & figure out what areas might be good, but nothing like getting feedback from the locals! So, already I have some areas of town to check out thanks to all of you, as well as bike shops to visit on my 'econnaissance' trip.

Just got to sell this house - please, everyone, send me 'sell the house' vibes so I can get up to Anchorage soon!

Kristine
    Anchorage-bound Buckeye

Apr 2004
    Hey Pat....what are "real bikes"?

Jun 2003

"Pinky" is a real bike!

Quote Originally Posted by DirkPitt
    Hey Pat....what are "real bikes"?
    Stop by Pat's shop and check out Pinky. That bike is awesome.

Jan 2004
    Hey Kristine:

Los Anchorage isn't actually in Alaska, although you can SEE Alaska from there. =)

That should stir the pot a bit.

Ken

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Condo, not campsite!

Quote Originally Posted by shaka bra
    You should just move in to the woods. I have been camping in the brush for a while.

Nah, I'm too old and spoiled! It's gonna get a bit chilly out there this winter, don't you think?

I do camp on occassion, but I don't think I want to make it a lifestyle....well, maybe when I'm 80 or so, I'll graduate to tooling around the country in an RV, but I don't think that's the camping you're talking about!

Have any problems with bears or moose out there at your campsite?

Kristine
    Anchorage-bound Buckeye (whenever this darn house sells!!!!)

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Trying Again!

House in Ohio re-listed at a new, lower price. Wish me luck everyone, can't wait to get to Alaska!

Won't make it up there until spring regardless - my husband and I took up ski instructing at our local 230' vertical ice hill, and we intend to honor our commitment to the ski area (and maybe get ourselves certified) even if the house somehow sells quickly. Maybe we'll instruct at Alyeska next winter!

Anyway, wish us luck on the home sale - we REALLY want out of here!

Kristine
    Anchorage-bound Buckeye

Jun 2003

Good luck.

THe weather is not good, but it is Alaska. Go figure. See you soon.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

6 months to go for me...

I'll be leaving Italy after 4 years and moving to Anchorage in June...wifey & I have been counting down the days :-)

Jan 2005

Looking for a temp living place?

Hi Kristine,

Are you two looking for a temporary living place when you make it up here?
    If so, I have the perfect place that might be available in the Spring.
    Let me know if you want the details.
    Good luck with the sale of the house.

DG

Jun 2003

DG? It can't be!

Quote Originally Posted by brodieak
    Hi Kristine,

Are you two looking for a temporary living place when you make it up here?
    If so, I have the perfect place that might be available in the Spring.
    Let me know if you want the details.
    Good luck with the sale of the house.

DG

Are you in Alaska full time now? What is up?

Damion

Jan 2005

Who's there, I'm getting old? Damion?

Sorry Damion, who are you?

I'm in Southwest Asia right now, been here for 136 days. The good news is that I leave tonight, AK arrival is sometime on the 27th. Ichin to put the studs on and hit the trails this weekend.

DG

Jun 2003

Have we not met before?

Sorry Damion, who are you?

I'm in Southwest Asia right now, been here for 136 days. The good news is that I leave tonight, AK arrival is sometime on the 27th. Ichin to put the studs on and hit the trails this weekend.

DG

How many DG's can there be on custom Brodie frames? If you are who I am thinking of, We have met on the Hillside trails, at a 24hr race here in Anchorage, and I work with Chris and Ray at The Bicycle Shop in Anchorage.

Am I imagining things?

Jan 2005

No you're not imagining things, it's me.

Damion,

Now I know who you are. Sorry, but I've been over here in the freakin desert with a horse with no name for way too long. I sent a postcard to the shop. Did you guys get it? I'll be in the shop sometime next week.

See Ya,
    DG
    Last edited by brodieak; 01-24-2005 at 03:20 PM.

Jun 2003

As a matter of fact, yes.

Damion,

Now I know who you are. Sorry, but I've over here in the freakin desert with a horse with no name for way too long. I sent a postcard to the shop. Did you guys get it? I'll be in the shop sometime next week.

See Ya,
    DG

It is you. Get your ass off of that horse, and back on the Brodie. Can you say where you are? I did see a postcard from you the last time I was in the shop. I am glad that you are well, and coming back. I will tell Ray and Chris to look out for you. I am looking forward to seeing you again. What a "small" world. This site never fails to amaze me.

Later.

Jan 2005

Coming Home

You're right, this horses' saddle is too big, got to get back on that SDG saddle soon. Can't say where I am, they monitor the computers all the time. I can say it's in the 80's during the day and it's in the middle of, yeah that's right; NO WHERE! This site is sweet, Chad told me about it the other day, I think you have met him at the shop. The recent pictures posted by EndoRando of the Hillside and Baxter bog trails made me really miss AK. I don't care what the weather is like when I get back, I'm riding. I can already picture myself riding up wall street and rolling in the snow on top of Specer loop with the joy of being back home; USA!

Jun 2003

That is what I thought.

You're right, this horses' saddle is too big, got to get back on that SDG saddle soon. Can't say where I am, they monitor the computers all the time. I can say it's in the 80's during the day and it's in the middle of, yeah that's right; NO WHERE! This site is sweet, Chad told me about it the other day, I think you have met him at the shop. The recent pictures posted by EndoRando of the Hillside and Baxter bog trails made me really miss AK. I don't care what the weather is like when I get back, I'm riding. I can already picture myself riding up wall street and rolling in the snow on top of Specer loop with the joy of being back home; USA!

Perhaps you will be able to tell me about it when you get back. I look forward to seeing you again. I will have a dring for you tonight. (Pool league night) It is monday afternoon here. Not sure what time/day zone you are in. Later.

Jun 2003

Kristine, I may be able to help.

I know a fellow who owns a few 4 and 6 plexes. He has no problem with short term leases. If you need an easy place to move to while you check out the city, let me know as your date draws closer.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Oops, didn't check this board for a bit!!!

Hey damion & brodieak -

Thanks for the potential info on short-term places to stay. We definitely would like to go that route while we get our bearings in the city! Plus, we'd like to know we're not staying in a horrible dive in a horrible neighborhood while we do get acclimated! Don't know our timing yet, as always, depends on that darn house (for which I am developing less & less affection as time goes by!!!) But, I'll definitely try to get in touch with you guys when I do know our timing!

Optimally, we'd like to be able to come up in April or May. Husband says we'll just pack up & go. I thought maybe we should fly up & find a place to stay first, but if we're just going to try a short term rental AND we can get someone up there to check it out & say its pretty decent, that's probably smarter than throwing away $ on a plane ride up.

Nothing happening on the home sale front at the moment, but it is still winter here....although hopefully the market will start heating up in the next month. We've already come down a lot on our initial listing price, and I think we are prepared to start dropping the price aggressively through March & into April if we have to. Hate to give away money, but hate to keep our life on hold so long! (Those of you following this saga may recall that we initially put this albatross - er, house - on the market LAST April!)

I'll keep you all posted on our saga - and, I promise, some day in the not too distant future we WILL be up there to bike with you!!!!

Kristine
    Anchorage-bound Buckeye

Tinker Tailor

Alaska here we come......July 05

Hey Kristine and hubby. Just a reply to let you guys know your not the only ones doing the big move this summer. We, wife and little one, will be moving from southern Germany to Anchorage in July. I am researching all I can about the neighborhoods in Anchorage. We are looking forward to Alaska and all it's grandure. I will be on this forum a little more often,usually in the Passion forum. When you guys get there post a final decision and fill us in. Good luck and see ya on the trail.

Tinker Tailor

Hey dave...........

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    I'll be leaving Italy after 4 years and moving to Anchorage in June...wifey & I have been counting down the days :-)

SETAF?.....or not?

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Hey Ringer X

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer X
    SETAF?.....or not?
    Nope, but I sometimes help the SETAF guys with their computers...I'm one of those chairborne rangers. I'm at Aviano.

Where you at in Germany? Have you raced any of the USAFE/USAREUR series races? I was up to race at Vilseck and Garmisch last season.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Big Announcement

Quote Originally Posted by Ringer X
    Hey Kristine and hubby. Just a reply to let you guys know your not the only ones doing the big move this summer. We, wife and little one, will be moving from southern Germany to Anchorage in July.....
    Well, so now we have Ringer X in July, DaveIT in June - AND ME & MY HUSBAND IN MAY!!!!! I hope all your Anchorage-ites can handle the big influx!!!!

We got and accepted an offer on our house yesterday. Now, just have to cross our fingers that all the inspections/contingencies get handled smoothly & the house closes on schedule April 20. Then I get to quit my job (yeah!) and we head on up the road.

Oh, I have so much to do before then (including figuring out where to live in Anchorage)!!!!! Very exciting, though!

Kristine
    Anchorage-bound Buckeye (for real!!)

Jan 2004
    Oh, happy day, Kristine!

Remember, though, that we're all here because we're not all there.

Congrats.

Ken

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AK Ken
    Remember, though, that we're all here because we're not all there.
    LOL!!!! Yeah, that may be true in my case! (and my husband's!)

Kristine

Tinker Tailor
    Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Nope, but I sometimes help the SETAF guys with their computers...I'm one of those chairborne rangers. I'm at Aviano.

Where you at in Germany? Have you raced any of the USAFE/USAREUR series races? I was up to race at Vilseck and Garmisch last season.
    Yes we raced Vilseck, missed Garmisch due to the Army life. We raced a bunch of the Chrysler series the last 3 years. Do you bring your dog to races? I met a fell from Italia who had a dog. Or are you one of the fellas in the Aviano jersey who always places at these races...
    Any who....here we are. I am the one on the right.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

hi

Man, Vilseck was awhile ago...I don't remember a whole lot from that race. The pic you attached didn't come through for some reason. I don't have a dog. The only guy I can think of who probably brought a dog is Kyle, who is (a freaking hammer) up at Ramstein now. I'm one of the guys always in the Aviano jersey, but the only place I usually end up is on the ground or wrapped around a tree...haha!

You planning to hit the Aviano race in April? I'm going to die...I haven't been riding that much and that course was killer last year. Our trails aren't nice and smooth like those Germany ones...hehe!

Anyway, we'll have to hook up for some rides in AK once we arrive!!

You seen our website? www.draghicycling.com There's been a little smack talking between Aviano and the RACC guys this year...it's going to be a great season. I wish I was going to be around for it.

Take it easy - Dave

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

damion - rental info?

Quote Originally Posted by damion
    I know a fellow who owns a few 4 and 6 plexes. He has no problem with short term leases. If you need an easy place to move to while you check out the city, let me know as your date draws closer.
    damion, your mailbox is full, so had to just post here....we're moving up mid-to-late May, looking for a short-term rental while we figure out the area (although if we like our short-term place, may stay longer!). pm me information if this guy might be interested in renting to us and we can talk to him...me and my husband and a cat (all non-smokers, including the cat )

Thanks!
    Kristine
    Anchorage-bound Buckeye

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Awww...

Looks like you are going to beat me to Anchorage! I should be arriving on 9 Jun as it stands now. I leave Italy on 1 Jun and I'm going back to PA for about a week. Man, I (we) can't wait!!

Good luck with your move!

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

winter commute times?

What are the commute times like from Palmer/Wasilla to Anchorage? How about in the winter? Are the roads well maintained? I'm trying to decide if we want to buy a house out there or one in Eagle River. I don't think I can afford anything decent in Anchorage itself...

Thanks

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

think Palmer

I'd take a good look at Palmer if you want to get out in the Valley. Wasilla is not a good place, no offense to any Wasillians on the net. But the valley is one of the fastest growing areas in the country, so think about that, too.
    Good luck in your quest. A bad day in Alaska is still better than a good day anywhere else...
    Pat

Jan 2004

Photographic evidence.......

LOL!!!! Yeah, that may be true in my case! (and my husband's!)

Kristine
    ...from yesterday for you, Kristine!

Bring yer skis.

Ken
    Attached Images Attached Images

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

doh!

I hope that's up in Denali and not Anchorage! Haha! I've been kinda spoiled the last four years here in Northern Italy...although we did get a ton of snow here this year (about 7 inches total!) My wife and I have been watching the weather in Anchorage and are wondering what we got ourselves into! The good thing is we both like cold weather, so we'll soon adjust back. I lived in northern Maine for 13 years, so I can handle cold & tons of snow. I'm glad we are arriving in June and not in the winter.

The movers are coming to pack my things next week, so I'll have to say goodbye to my mtb for about 3 months..that's going to suck. I'm keeping back a road bike to send in the air shipment, but it's just not the same. Keep the pics (& videos) coming!

Jan 2004
    Yeah, you're safe...no snow in Anchorage when I was there yesterday. Lotsa people in sandals, in fact. I guess because they dry out faster after wading through the parking lot puddles.

One question:
    If you're keeping out a road bike (which would be difficult to ride off road) why not ship it and keep out a mountain bike (which seems more versatile)?

Ken

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

road bike

Since I'm shipping my car soon as well I'm keeping the road bike to commute to work (50 km roundtrip). It's my fixed gear, so it'll be easy to throw in a box and send when the time comes. The mtb is a beast to commute on especially on the way home where it's slight uphill usually with a strong headwind coming through the valley. I don't have slicks either and my Conti Vertical Pros don't have the greatest rolling resistance!

Can't wait to be riding Alaskan singletrack,

Dave

Jan 2005

took that military race series 3 yrs in row

Ringer X and daveIT,

Give me a call or email me on the global when you get up here, I'll show ya some single track. Elmendorf has their Arctic Warrior Olympics coming up in Jun, hope you make it up here by then, OK mt. bike race course by the base ski area.
    I did both Ramstein and Aviano, planning on heading back to Aviano in July 06.

Steven DeGregorio "DG"
    333-3572 - DSN 317-552-2901
    POL

Tinker Tailor

Sounds good

Quote Originally Posted by AKBRODIE
    Ringer X and daveIT,

Give me a call or email me on the global when you get up here, I'll show ya some single track. Elmendorf has their Arctic Warrior Olympics coming up in Jun, hope you make it up here by then, OK mt. bike race course by the base ski area.
    I did both Ramstein and Aviano, planning on heading back to Aviano in July 06.

Steven DeGregorio "DG"
    333-3572 - DSN 317-552-2901
    POL
    I will call when we arrive. We will be there in July. I am boxing and shipping the ride so I don't have to wait 3 months for it. I plan on shipping it to a local shop, hopefully one in Anchorage will accept delivery. We plan on doing Big Bend NP, Colorado Springs and Taos, Santa Fe for 3 weeks before we fly up. Should be a good summer.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Will do...

DG,
    I'll be in town on 9 Jun. I'll look you up once I arrive and get my bike. I'm at Comm troop, but I'm going to work with the AWACS squadron there. That should be a good change.

I don't know if Aviano had a team when you were here before, but it's booming now. If you get a chance to come back I can give you some contacts. A few of the guys have hooked up with Italian teams for road racing.

You can check out the site: www.draghicycling.com

Have an awesome summer trip RingerX...we'll expect a full report and some pics

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Finding a place to rent...

Anyone have any recommendations as far as finding a place to rent in Anchorage? Preferably a stand-alone house, but we are open to townhomes.

For the other newcomers...here are some sites I found in my search thus far:

http://raneyhardman.com
    http://www.jemsrealestate.com
    http://www.greatlandrealty.com
    http://www.suzannecool.com
    http://www.wirumproperties.com
    http://www.allstarproperties.net
    http://www.pacificrimproperties.com
    http://www.ntreak.com

If anyone happens to have a place coming open (around $1400/mo) in the middle of June/early July please PM me or e-mail me.

reneeanddave AT gmail DOT com

See you guys soon!

dave
    Last edited by daveIT; 05-14-2005 at 08:08 AM. Reason: fix link

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Call Tony Allen

He has a house for rent in that price range very near the Chester Creek bike path. Great location for commuting and such. I forget his forum name, but I can give you his # if you want.

Tony, are you out there?

Pat