Alaskan Racing Continental Divide- Mtbr.com
    mtbr member

Alaskan Racing Continental Divide

Peter Basinger is racing the Continental Divide beginning June 15th! Go Peter! Be safe out there--remember, don't stand in puddles during a lightening storm!

QB

Wood chips are stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen Bee
    Peter Basinger is racing the Continental Divide beginning June 15th! Go Peter! Be safe out there--remember, don't stand in puddles during a lightening storm!

QB
    ...especially if the puddle is one you just made!

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Go Pete! Make that CD Trail your b!tch!

Wood chips are stupid

?

Quote Originally Posted by daveIT
    Go Pete! Make that CD Trail your b!tch!
    I thought you were his b!tch

akdeluxe
    Last edited by akdeluxe; 06-12-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: what

JT

Feb 2007
    go get 'em Pete. Show them what we alaskans are made of... or at least what you're made of.

in case anyone is interested there are going to be a few different places to track the race as it unfolds:

http://greatdividerace.blogspot.com/

http://mtbcast.com/wordpress/

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=229939

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004

Weeeeee

Quote Originally Posted by akdeluxe
    I thought you were his b!tch

akdeluxe
    Only during the 24 Hours of Kincaid race and any other time we are on a biccicletta at the same time. You should know that by now!

Caveman
    Go Pete!
    Stay warm, stay cool, dodge the lightning, hail, rain, bears, ditches and expired twinkies!

mtbr member
    Thanks guys.
    Leaving for Montana in a few hours.

My bike:
    Attached Images Attached Images

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    Good luck, bro. We'll all be rooting for you!!!

Jun 2007
    Do it like you did it in the Susitna 100!! Good luck. I'll be starting the trail probably about the time your finishing and finishing it in alot slower time. Looking forward to tracking your progress. We all wish you good luck and a safe race

Jun 2007
    Hey Peter,
    If your still checking this forum I was wondering if that pic of your bike is equipped with all the gear you will be taking.

Caveman
    probably add a camel back with stuff....

Is that a thermarest I see?? nice!
    what Tires??

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by pbasinger
    Thanks guys.
    Leaving for Montana in a few hours.

My bike:

Uh.. are you gonna be a big dental floss tycoon.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Wood chips are stupid
    Good Luck Pete

JT

Jun 2007

Flying down the trail

Anyone else keeping up with this. Pete is smoking!! Sounds like he is currently in second although he had some interesting issues today.

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by KundsMeister
    Anyone else keeping up with this. Pete is smoking!! Sounds like he is currently in second although he had some interesting issues today.
    Keeping up with it, heck I'm practically addicted. Bummer about Pete's re-route and pace car thing. But he did what he had to do.

Of course the race is still a ways from being over.

Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

Jun 2007
    Yeh Man, Know what you mean. Love following Purvis's posts, Great way to start the morning or wind down from our brilliant sunlit days.
    Pete really took one for the team. Did you see where the rules referee said it was OK to take the pace car...AFTER Pete backtracked 30 miles to make his ride legit. Thats one tough !!

Happy solstice riding everyone!

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by KundsMeister
    Yeh Man, Know what you mean. Love following Purvis's posts, Great way to start the morning or wind down from our brilliant sunlit days.
    Pete really took one for the team. Did you see where the rules referee said it was OK to take the pace car...AFTER Pete backtracked 30 miles to make his ride legit. Thats one tough !!

Happy solstice riding everyone!
    Yep Saw that. Bummer, for Pete, but its the total randomness of stuff like this that really makes the racing exciting it is just as likely that JP will get hit with some goofy random delay too. The other thing is at the end of the day Pete's gonna have a ride that he can look back on with no regrets. So, I still think, he made the right call given the facts as they were for him.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Go Pete!!

I haven't been able to figure out the standings for this race yet...but...Go Pete Go!!!

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    I cant think of anything else to say that hasnt already been said about your RAAM Jeff.Im in awe of what you did.
    Im finding this link is making alot of sense to me,big thanks to Scott Morris.

http://topofusion.com/divide/GDR07.htm

You can see Mikes times as well to compare.

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    His mom left a message in the thread on the Endurance Forum, so if anyone knows how to contact him once the race is over please relay this info:

"Peter,

We don't know how to contact you. Maybe you will read this or maybe someone who reads this will relay the info. Dad will fly from Alaska to El Paso on July 1 and try to find you at the end of race. Get off the bike in Antelope Wells. You don't have to bike to the airport to catch the plane to Alaska! You're on track for a great finish.

MaBasinger"

Thanks

- Dave

Jun 2007
    this may or may not help sort out the confusion.

http://topofusion.com/divide/GDR07.htm

Jun 2007
    oops, sorry. Carlhutch already posted the link.

mtbr member
    I spoke with Peter today. It's been pretty rough for him. A wrong turn took him 10 miles off course, then the 60-mile round trip detour to revisit the road construction. Now here's a guy with scruples! And now he is pretty darned sick and in an uncomfortable situation. If he can resolve his ailment he might just plod on to finish and enjoy the ride. He's disappointed because the weather's been so nice--no thunderstorms and clear nights with lots of stars.

Feb 2007
    sounds like pete called it quits today. bummer. one can only imagine how tough the last several days must have been for him. congrats pete on giving it such a determined effort and hope you were able to learn some things about yourself and this event that will help make you even stronger in the future. you kick a$$, that much is certain.

Beware of Doggerel
    Quote Originally Posted by grroes
    sounds like pete called it quits today. bummer. one can only imagine how tough the last several days must have been for him. congrats pete on giving it such a determined effort and hope you were able to learn some things about yourself and this event that will help make you even stronger in the future. you kick a$$, that much is certain.
    What a bummer.

He did a great job making it this far, so good job Pete. Rest up and recover.

Adam

Jun 2007

still a bad A#@

sorry to hear about Pete but I'm sure its for the best. That race has really got to take it out of ya and when your not 100% its got to be even worse. Sucks that it was a random bug that got him. Amazing that he was able to keep going for as long as he did.

Pete, your still one tough dude and if you decide to give it a go next year then I'll be pulling for you. I know alot of us here in AK will be. Rest up, have a cold one (water, beer, whatever) you deserve it.

Caveman
    Pete - You are the man, and everybody knows it.

Sorry that a string of bad luck forced you out this year.

Think of all you've accomplished though...

Members who have read this thread: 0