Alaska Ultrasport- Mtbr.com
    FatBike Fiend

Alaska Ultrasport

For those interested, the 2004 Alaska Ultrasport race starts this Saturday at 2 pm at Knik bar. There are about 30 competitors in this year's event with about 12 of those on bikes. The rest are on skis or foot.
    It's a 350 mile race across the Alaska range to McGrath and some are going all the way to Nome (1100 miles).
    About five of the bikers are on my Wildfire FatBikes so here's hoping for some good results again. I'm flying out to Rainy Pass where they cross the divide to be a checker on Saturday and will ride back after the last racers goes through. Conditions are reported to be the best they've been in years.
    You can follow along vicariously at http://alaskaultrasport.com for race updates.

http://wildfirecycles.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Give 'em my best

Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire
    For those interested, the 2004 Alaska Ultrasport race starts this Saturday at 2 pm at Knik bar. There are about 30 competitors in this year's event with about 12 of those on bikes. The rest are on skis or foot.
    It's a 350 mile race across the Alaska range to McGrath and some are going all the way to Nome (1100 miles).
    About five of the bikers are on my Wildfire FatBikes so here's hoping for some good results again. I'm flying out to Rainy Pass where they cross the divide to be a checker on Saturday and will ride back after the last racers goes through. Conditions are reported to be the best they've been in years.
    You can follow along vicariously at http://alaskaultrasport.com for race updates.

http://wildfirecycles.com
    Mark, have a great time out there and give the racers my best. Hard not being with 'em.
    I may see you....you never know.......
    Pat

FatBike Fiend
    Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Mark, have a great time out there and give the racers my best. Hard not being with 'em.
    I may see you....you never know.......
    Pat
    Pat,
    After waiting at the flight service all day we weren't able to get in due to weather in Rainy Pass. The racers are on the course which is hard and fast but three inches of new snow at Yentna probably more at Finger Lake. Will try to again tomorrow am.

Stopped by your shop today and saw Marge. Looks pretty nice.
    Mark

Jan 2004

Bike Photos...

I think there were 12 or 13 bikers. I think 6 were planning on going to Nome...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dec 2003
    The owner of this one was just here to ride around not to race
    Attached Images Attached Images

FatBike Fiend
    Good pictures guys. Myself and the other checkers are still weathered out and today looks even worse. Looks like all the bikes are following the national trend toward obesity, you'd be hard pressed to find less then a 2.5 inch tire in the whole bunch. The lead racers were heading toward Finger Lake as of Sunday night with Peter Basinger in the lead followed by four Brits all on bikes. There was 3 inches of new snow at Finger Lake yesterday and probably is snowing there now. Oh joy...

FatBike Fiend
    Quick update:
    As of Tuesday evening, the leaders were into Rohn on the N. side of the range. It's been taking them 18 hours to go the 35 or so miles from Puntilla to Rohn. Should have faster trail from here. The weather has been bad with new snow, clouds, and warm temps making for soft trail. Myself and the other checkers have been unable to fly out due to weather, luckily Bill and Kathi the race directors have filled in and also recruited some lodge employees to feed and water the racers.
    Three of the top five racers (Tilling, Basinger, and Hutchings) our on our Wildfire FatBikes with the next two bikers (Heading and Sheldon) on British built bikes with Remolino rims and Nokian 3.0 tires so obviously the wider wheels have been of some value out there. Hope they can place well over the next half of the course which is usually faster with firmer trail and less snow. If all goes well they should be finishing up in the next couple days.

Mark

Race updates are at http://alaskaultrasport.com

http://www.wildfirecycles.com

FatBike Fiend

Good job!

Congratulations to Anchorage rider Peter Basinger who finished first on a Wildfire/DeSalvo bike. French skier Eric Wilmot was next then Roberto Ghidoni the Italian super walker..Brit Alan Sheldon was 4th overall and second biker followed by Tim Hewitt. Britain's Carl Hutchins was next on a Wildfire Fatbike. Carl went over the bars near Rohn and cut his forehead open on sharp ice, flew off to McGrath for 9 stitches, then flew back the next morning to continue the race. British biker Andy Heading was next followed by Brit Allan Tilling on a FatBike.
    Racers are still trickling into Mcgrath, many have scratched for various reasons. Tim Hewitt is continuing to Nome but a lot of the Nome crowd has decided to end the race at McGrath due to poor trail. Temps are hanging around -25 at night and zero during the day. The trail across the Farewell burn was softer with more snow then normal.
    After waiting for five days for the weather to clear enough to fly out to be a checker at Puntilla Lake I opted to go to McCarthy instead and rode out to the May Creek cabin and back across the Nizina River so had a great trip anyway.