Alaska trip with Pops- Mtbr.com

Jan 2008

Alaska trip with Pops

Hey me and my dad are planning a trip to go to Alaska this summer and I was curious about some rides in Anchorage and Homer. My dad isn't much of a mtn biker but I'd love to take him on a couple of easy rides. Any sweet scenery type rides in Anchorage like on a paved path? I'm planning on doing some serious riding without my old man as well. Can someone help me out? Much thanks, Mike

HowtoOverthrowtheSystem
    Jan 2004
    There is a lot of paved trail in Anchorage. There is a nice bike path along the spit into Homer as well...you'll have no problem. You can rent bikes in Anchorage (not sure about Homer - but there is a bike shop down there..)

Diaskeuast
    For easy rides with scenery, there are two that are extremely accessible and popular. Both are paved.

1. The Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, which runs from downtown Anchorage along the coast all the way to Kincaid Park. You can pick up a map locally, or search it online from the city's web site.

2. The Indian to Girdwood trail beside Turnagain Arm south of Anchorage. This is probably your best bet: It has the best scenery and the easiest hills. Just avoid it on windy days.
    Enjoying the meaningful pursuit of meaningless fun.

let's ride...
    Dec 2006
    Eklutna Lake, about thirty minutes north of Anchorage is a great place to ride. The trail is hardpack clay/sand and for Alaska, it's flat. The views of the glacier fed lake and surrounding mountains are beautiful. The trail is an out and back that is approximately 13 miles each way. The first 7 or 8 miles follow along the lake and they are pretty easy if you know how to ride a bike, but especially if you've ridden off pavement before. There is a rental shop for bikes, kayaks, and canoes at the lake--but I don't know anymore specifics about the rental equipment.

For more advanced riding, trails abound within and just outside of anchorage. There's great cross-country riding and trail riding in town. Incredible backcountry excursions are within an hours drive from Anchorage.

Enjoy the trip.

You didn't mention how old you or your dad are, nor really give any idea as to what level of experience either of you have, so you may want to google the rides that have been mentioned on this thread.

Jan 2008
    Thanks for the replies. I'm a fairly experienced rider (I ride a singlespeed 29r). my dad never really rides. I'm twenty three and my dad is fifty four. We'd be looking to ride some easy/flat single track and scenic paved roads. I heard there is some great biking in Homer is that true? Thanks for the help

I'm from Utah

Biking Homer

I lived there for a year and cobbled together what I could. Here's an article with some trail info:

http://www.homertribune.com/article.php?aid=387

mtbr member

Anchorage paved trails

Been here for 2 1/2 years, and am an experienced mtn biker. I ride the paved trails all the time with my family, pulling my kids. The Coastal Trail and Turnagain Arm Trail (both mentioned above) are my favorites for scenery. There's the Chester Creek Trail (4 miles one-way) that runs east-west through town, and the Campbell Creek Trail that runs north-south through town. Here's a link to the Coastal, Chester, & Campbell trails:

www.trailsofanchorage.com

There's info on the trails, along with some pics. Enjoy your visit.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

Members who have read this thread: 0