Alaska Trip Next Summer- Mtbr.com

Oct 2007

Alaska Trip Next Summer

So next summer my family and i are taking a month and a half to go from here in washington up to alaska. Ive never been there, and wanting to know about mtn biking up there... whats up there to ride.
    We will be staying in Denali state park for about a week or more, other places are anchorage, fairbanks, homer, valdez, and around the dalton highway

Not sure if there is anything there, im sure there is some stuff in denali..
    Im into Downhill, and freeride stuff. never really done cross country but im open to anything. so any thing anyone knows would be great, thanks

mtbr member
    Welcome,

I cant speak for some of the other locations, but I can speak for anchorage. Im not a XC guy myself.

There are some decent trails here in anchorage, nothing to crazy or anything that is up to the states or park standards in regards to gnar DH/FR. Some hike a bikes, and some trails on the hillside here in anchorage are decent.

What timeframe are you coming up, and are you bringing a bike? A 6" bike is perfect up here for the more aggressive stuff. I havent found anything that I cant approach on my evo with speed yet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Talk with member name tscheezy in Kodiak There is some great singletrack that is steep, rocky, technical and rooty with lots of ups and down more of all mountain riding experience. Nothing to sterile as other trails around A-town although these trails are fun more of an XC experience. Not only is the riding great in Kodiak, Tscheezy and Barney are super nice and stellar riders. You should also check out the mainland Kenai's Lost Lake trail plus the Hope trail. Good luck

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Denali Rd

I've ridden back to Wonder Lake a couple of times. You can drive a car to Teklanika and set up a base camp then go on an ride to Wonder Lake and camp and then return, or you can ride out, stash the bike and hike in and camp in the wilderness, or you can also throw your bike on a bus (reservations required) and ride out on the bus then bike back. Very worth doing.
    Surrounding Anchorage there are quite a few well known trails but others will need to chime in about them. Backwoods roads and trails are all over the place.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Are you driving the Dalton all the way to Deadhorse?

Members who have read this thread: 0