Alaska Roll Call- Mtbr.com
    Wood chips are stupid

Alaska Roll Call

On some of the other state threads they have a roll call. Posters reply with name, bikes they own, maybe a pic and what,where,when and why. It looks like fun. You start.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

Jul 2006
    Hello my name is Manny and I am a bikeaholic whore and it all started with Skimonkee (Brian) & Jules16 (Julie) who took
    me on an introductory ride up Rovers Run 2 years ago. From that day on I have been on one of the best rides of my life,
    meeting some of the most wonderful, amazing, infectious people along the way. Thanks Brian & Julie........................

A few of my babies from left to right:
    Commuter - Specialized, Polo bike - Novara, Snow bike - Pugsley, Single Speed - Nashbar Frame,
    Full Suspension - Kona, Road Bike - Cannondale, and currently working on a 29er - On One Inbred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aka bubba; 11-09-2007 at 01:02 PM.

Aug 2004
    Hi my name is Bob, and I'm a biking addict (twitch). It all started decades ago when Campbell Airstrip road was the party spot for kids with 4WD and 36th avenue was a dirt hill. I broke many a frame jumping down that trail next to Lake Otis (the lake).

I've currently got a FS Marin with 20,000 miles on the clock, and a Kona hardtail that's a year old. On the drawing board are Speedway and a Pugsley some time in the next few weeks. Oh, and a road bike from the 70s for when I want to go fast.

Cheers!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Mike likes bikes

Hi, my name is Mike and I like bikes. My bike budget is 4, I currently have 4.5. Airborne B29 mtn bike, Surly Pugsley for winter and other stuff, Novara Rivet CX mostly for snowfree commuting, Scott CR1 road bike and 19" Kona Explosif 2-9 frame,headset,etc. My wife would be happy if you took the Kona out of her garage.
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

War machine member
    I'm Jerry and I too am a bike whore. I started in 1996 and my first "real" mountain bike was a Raleigh M-something. since then I've owned a Super-V, a Stumpjumper, a Raven, a RM Blizzard, and an Instigator. I currently have in the stable a 1x1 and a Karate Monkey (both SS), a Cross Check, and a Rocky Mountain SXC-70.

Diaskeuast
    My name is Tim (but you already knew that because I didn't have the imagination to make up a screen name).

I'm a Pisces, and I like pina coladas and gettin' caught in the rain. My turn-offs are vegetarians, bad drivers, rap music and strange guys named Leonard.

My turn-ons are a Specialized Epic, a Surly Pugsley, a Giant TCR C1 road bike, and a '96 Stumpjumper hardtail that goes both ways, if ya know what I mean (summer commuter and winter ice bike). I maintain "open relationships" with all of them, so I'm always on the lookout for something new and exciting with a tight frame.

Maybe we can go for a ride sometime.

Grillin' & Chillin'

Checking In

I'm Tim Kelly, the Biker not the skier, I always have to clarify that. I became addicted to cycling from the time of my first ride when I was 5. My brother Myles sat me on a bike at the top of a hill and gave me a push to get going, but failed to tell me about the feature called brakes. I'm sure that was my first overdose of adrenaline, as I flew through the intersection at the bottom of the hill while swerving to avoid cross traffic. Luckily, I'm still dodging cars. Thanks Myles, I owe it all to you

I own the following sweet rides:
    Icicle road bike - custom made by Steve Baker
    Trimble Monocoque road bike (serial number 1)
    Gary Fisher Ziggurat
    Giant NRS - 9,000+ miles in 2.5 years
    Fuji Team Issue road bike - Too nice for garage, my wife makes me park it in living room !!!
    Fatback - Speedway Special - That's next!

First Picture - Two weeks ago approaching the Vermilion Cliffs National Monument on the way to the Grand canyon
    Second Picture - Only one of my three favorite things is missing in this photo at the Vegoose Music Festival. I've got my main squeeze Vicky and a beer in the other hand, guess what's missing. ?????
    Third Picture - Grill Meister finishing a Frigid Bits event last winter.
    Grill Meister
    "There were never any good old days
    They are today, they are tomorrow
    "
    - Gogol Bordello

Nov 2007
    Manny, the proper number of bike's to own is expressed in this enduring mathamatical formula. (n+1) where (n) is the current number of bikes you own. Cheers, Jim.

We want... a shrubbery!
    Hi, my name's Danny and I'm bikeaholic.

Anyhoo, just moved up here in June, but haven't had much time to ride because of work, and well, the fact that I don't have a place to call my own quite yet (crashing with friends up here). But, with a new permanent job (whoring out to the oil fields up north) and a place to call my own within a week, I can finally resurrect my babies to their pristine--albeit muddy--glory.

Got a thing for Specializeds. And because it's late at night, I've respelled 'Specialized' about 4.pi times because it just doesn't look right. Such a weird looking word when you really look at it. But, now that I've successfully completely rambled off on a tangent, I've got the following:

'o4 Epic - Pride & joy, build job by me. Only bike currently 100% operating.

'o4 Stumpy FSR - Nothing like a squishy full squishy. Not so squishy though considering the rear shock needs an overhaul and both tires are flat--and it's wedged between a bed mattress, 2.5 Moving boxes, and other assorted crap that I hauled up here from Virginia sitting in aforementioned friend's garage.

'99 Stumpy Hardtail - Craigslist find, only 50 bucks. With a little TLC (i.e. new cable, switch out the front fork) made a good commuter after I had two bikes stolen while at UVA. Good for nothing townies with bolt-cutters. However, said bike needs new drivetrain, so if you have any 8 spd parts you're not a-needin', give me a holla' back. Or just PM me.

Other random fact. I can quick draw Resolve Carpet Cleaner, specialize in Super Soaker Soakage Engineering, and I kick-a$$ at full-contact origami. And the bike rule from above is partially correct. Considering the empirical analysis that I haven't done, nor do I intend to do, but yet still feel like referencing, the correct formula is more along the lines of (n+1.73). Sure we all want another bike, but I'm pretty sure we all can think of one more bike we want, but yet we can also think of a bike-that-we-want-but-we're-really-not-sure-what-we-want-quite-yet-so-we-come-up-with-a-discombogulation-of-some-sorts-that-represents-a-dream-bike-in-our-minds-but-yet-doesn't-make-much-sense-to-anyone-else bike.

Word, I'm going to pass out. And once I get a work schedule figured out in the next week or so, I can start setting aside time for Ye Olde Trusty Frigid Bits&Tits events.
    waaahoooooooooooooooooo

Calvin : Ahhh, another bowl of Chocolate Frosted Sugar Bombs! The second bowl is always the best! The pleasure of my first bowl is diminished by the anticipation of future bowls and by the end of my third bowl, I usually feel sick.
    Hobbes : Maybe you shouldn't use chocolate milk.
    Calvin : I tried Cola, but the bubbles went up my nose.

Wood chips are stupid

my turn

My name is Leonard. I have lived in Alaska all my life. Bought first Mt Bike in 88'. Bikes I own are...
    Turner Flux
    IF Steel Deluxe
    Gunnar 29er
    Waterford R33
    Waterford X14
    Pugsly
    Frank Chamberlain road frame
    old chromed road frame

At work I am a industrial radiographer.
    Tim Woodys hero is the construction worker from the Village People.

akdeluxe
    "Trust me,you don't want a big baby."

JT

mtbr member
    Hi I'm Janice and I always name the bikes with whom I have close relationships. The ones without names... well, they're just bikes. Here's what's in my quiver:

Ibis "Spanky" steel road bike (sporting new chainstays, custom paint job (orchid fade to silver) and retired to Maui)
    Airborne Carpe Diem cross bike (also retired to Maui, has carried the likes of Adam around its shores and up the volcano)
    Ibis Mai Tai hardtail aka "The Rocket Ship" (gets used as a snow bike, has seen the likes of Finger Lake, McGrath and has been around the Susitna block a few times)
    IF Crown Jewel aka "Jewel" (see Spanky above. The outcome of the insurance settlement following a close encounter with a taxi)
    Turner Burner aka "The Nimitz" (sent my O2 back to Turner to be refurbished and it came back a Burner. Talk about an "Extreme Make Over!" This ride has ground up dirt in Africa, Costa Rica and parts in between)
    Vicious Thunderwing aka "Vicious" (This bike tried to get to McGrath but its human failed. He's still sulking over that one).
    Look 585 carbon road bike
    Cervelo P2C TT bike
    Ritchey Break-away road bike aka "Candy" (steel frame, retro paint job, fluent in Italian)

Peter thinks I need a singlespeed.
    Last edited by Queen Bee; 11-11-2007 at 01:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Roll call

My wife commented that the garage was full of bikes so I moved some to the basement. Most folks don't understand why I have so many bikes but I like to ride them fast or slow, love to build bikes around a concept and it seem to be a rare healthy addiction. My oldest bike is 1976 531 Reynolds Trek touring frame that is now living late life as a turbo trainer sweat hog. The newest addition is a Serotta steel Coeur D' Acier single speed road bike which will appear as a fixed gear in the spring. In the middle there is a bunch of very cool steel rides, some new age Ti,a very fast plastic bike and a 35 pound Pugs. Lately I seem to be headed full circle back towards 30 year old experiences of the purity of fixed gear and single speed. As I was writing this post I realized my Campy fixed gear wheelset is older than Pete. Enjoy, Steve C

Beware of Doggerel
    Adam here. My MTB is a ti 29er hardtail, I also have a pugs, a wildfire on the way and a slingshot singlespeed 29er. For the last few months 99% of my riding is done on the cross check pictured below. On the road I ride a late 80s Bianchi lugged steel frame that is sweeter than honey. As for the why, hmmm... Like most everyone I’ve been riding bikes since I was a kid. I guess I became a “cyclist” around 1991 when I sold my motorcycle ('85 YZ-125) because as a starving college student I couldn’t justify the expense, but I still wanted to play in the woods on two wheels, so I bought a MTB. That was in Ithaca NY and eventually the bike became transportation and recreation now in 2007 I live up here with a garage full of bikes and bike parts....
    Adam
    I wanna say I'm sorry for stuff I haven't done yet, things will shortly get completely out of hand --T.M.G.

ABC Rec Div / STA Trails
    I'm Christopher..
    I am currently not biking nearly as much as I should be do to working too much instead and my second passion 'photography'... but trying to bring the two together into one; in the mean time I am still around.

My rides are
    An 05' Santa Cruz Blur is my 'riding' bike.
    An 04' Kona NuNu is my commuter/hauler/beater bike which I sometimes carry a B.O.B. behind.
    An 05' Giant TCR C3 Road Bike
    Oh.. and for all those that might care.. I shoot all Canon with L lenses.

Christopher

Caveman

Ugg

Ooogg uggh
    Me like bike

Ti Black Sheep
    and a large monkey

the sheep is in pieces now and the monkey is thrashed but they are still nice bikes.

but really, I dont bike anymore, I just talk about it. Hopefully that will change soon.

ok some history...
    started riding in 87' with a LL bean mtn bike, after trashing that I got a rockhopper as I went through high school and all the east coast mud I could find, after replacing every part three times over I got a Mongoose AMP - full suspension baby - that didnt last long though as I broke it within a few short months. Then I got a "race" bike a super light Spooky cycles easton aluminum frame... raced that through college, then snapped the seat tube. bummer. Got a Steel dean softail as I got into endurance riding, then got hooked up with a Ti Black Sheep softail. Raced that a bunch and went to India and south america with it but eventually broke the chain stays off.. darn. James hooked me up with a 29er hard tail which is shown above and then I got the Surly because Karate monkeys are the ****. Took the monkey to Mcgrath and south america - my favorite bike for sure. The steel dean softtail was a close second, tied with the 29er black sheep...
    Last edited by Bearbait; 11-13-2007 at 05:55 PM.

Aug 2006

Role Call

I'm Paul, age 46 (old but still fit and cranking along). I ride a custom built Jamis Dakar XC pro. I bought the frame new on ebay and built it up nicely for trail riding. Just mounted the studs and I'm ready to go.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Hooked on the First Hit

In August 2007 A couple buddies at work talked me into going riding with them around Russian Jack at lunch. I had a '96 totaly rigid Rockhopper which had never seen a dirt road and probably had less than 100 miles on it, so away I went.

I've been hooked ever since.

Ride: 2006 Marin East Peak

Dec 2006
    Erick Started biking a few years back on some cheapos that have outlasted my Novara commuter!!! I put about 5000 KM a year on my bikes I ride to commute and have fun on the way home. I dislike dodging carnosaurs so I'am building my moving bike Surly LHT with some narly components. Currently riding my BSN Specialized Hardrock Disc Brakes with dynamo (did I mention I love light Dynamos) not riding for the next few weeks caught the cold... will post a pic of my muddy specialized soon maybe after the semester

Oh yea Im a bike addict too!!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    who: name is chris.
    what: the stable just got thinner. broke my specialized hardrock that was hooked up to an xtracycle trying to widen it for snowtires. now have a 1x1 for snow/xtracycle and a long haul trucker for the road. soon to have a new pereira custom. can't wait.
    where: like to ride esterdome...trails to UAF...long roads...snow anything basically.
    when: mostly commuting with some weekend rides if i am lucky.
    why: started biking when my gt performer was cool. pegs, gyro, chrome, mag wheels and laidback. jumped that thing off everything and rode it everywhere. still pissed that i sold it. the story goes on and on. what i have come to realize is that basically bikes have always been close to me and in my life, albeit with some serious haitus time. i'm just glad we are good friends again. i love bikes. i'll try and get pics later.

mtbr member

Pink Arm Warmers

I heard he likes pink arm warmers, too. Haven't seem them but I keep hearing about them.

Quote Originally Posted by timwoody
    My name is Tim (but you already knew that because I didn't have the imagination to make up a screen name).

I'm a Pisces, and I like pina coladas and gettin' caught in the rain. My turn-offs are vegetarians, bad drivers, rap music and strange guys named Leonard.

My turn-ons are a Specialized Epic, a Surly Pugsley, a Giant TCR C1 road bike, and a '96 Stumpjumper hardtail that goes both ways, if ya know what I mean (summer commuter and winter ice bike). I maintain "open relationships" with all of them, so I'm always on the lookout for something new and exciting with a tight frame.

Maybe we can go for a ride sometime.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by mjshea
    I heard he likes pink arm warmers, too. Haven't seem them but I keep hearing about them.
    It takes a special guy to pull off the look!

mtbr member

My 2 cents

Hi, my name is Mike and i'm definitely a bikeaholic (my wife would definitely second that!) I've only met EndoRando so far, but here it goes:

Past bikes:
    (1988-1991) - 1988 Huffy Steel 50lb "mountain" bike - put 3000 miles a summer on that baby during early high school

(1991-1993) - 1991 Miyata Elevation 400' steel rigid mtb

(1998 - 2006) - 1998 Specialized FSR Extreme

(2005 - 2007) - 2004 Jamis XLT 3.0

Current rides:
    1992 Diamondback Axis - first nice mountain bike. Full vintage & 2nd generation XT, with 1.25" slicks - current "road" bike I pull the kid trailer with - 26 lbs

2005 Supergo Access - picked up barely used aluminum frame off ebay for $40. Singlespeeded it, Nashbar chromoly fork/Thomson/Race Face/Juicy Ultimate/Spinergy Xyclone Disc/Kenda Kozmic Lites - current summer commuter / winter bike w/studs & fenders - 21 lbs

2007 Titus Motolite II - just built this up a month ago - Fox TALAS/full XTR / King/Revo/317 wheelset / Thomson/Easton/Juicy Carbons/Kenda 2.1 Nevegals - 27 lbs. Have only ridden it once before cleaned & hung up for the winter - my baby, sweet ride!

I also have a garage full of bike stuff - looks like a repair shop. Seems like I've eat/drink/sleep bikes since high school, 15 years ago. If you see a blue Ford Ranger with I BIKE plates around town, that's me. Got stationed up here at Elmendorf 2 years ago and love it. 2 years 'till I leave, and trying to live it up. Rode Resurrection twice (sweet ride), but need to hook up with some more guys to do some more backcountry trips (riding buddies seem to come and go - kinda getting sick of Kincaid, Campbell Tract & Hillside). Want to try at least Eklutna & Johnson next year, along with another Resurrection. Am also trying to sell the Jamis XLT frame/headset/Fox TALAS fork this winter - if interested, e-mail my wife at [email protected].
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

Fat!Drunk!Slow!
    Hi, I'm Jordy and I am a Newb. Will be buying something around cmas and want to ride to work as well. 29er and studs here I come!

One of the Crazies
    Hi I'm Amber, 26, and I started biking out in good ol' Cold Bay. I have my first bike and its a K2 hardtail, but I'm dreaming big! I swear I'll get more.

I recently moved to Anchortown and Tim has pointed me in the right direction of where to bike and who to avoid. Thanks Tim!

Aug 2007
    After several summers of hauling a bike up to Anchorage for part of the summer and spending the winter in the lower 48. I am moving back to Anchorage next month.

I ride a truth on the trails, and I converted my old hard tail to a single speed which I commute on and take out on any trail that isn't crazy steep. My next purchase will be a road bike since I sold my Dean to pay for a really great vacation.

I like technical downhills, muddy rides, and good mechanics.

Diaskeuast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChickWhoRips
    Tim has pointed me in the right direction of where to bike and who to avoid. Thanks Tim!
    Hey, I only mentioned akdeluxe, and that was pretty much a no-brainer anyway.

Jan 2004
    Last edited by Snowmonkey; 11-28-2007 at 03:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    New to this forum - bear with me. Don't let the name Luger fool you, I prefer biking over sledding. Just a name from my past. Anyhow, I ride my Santa Cruz Julianna SL with studs on days like today and save my Pugsley (only about two weeks old) for real winter riding. For a faster, smoother ride I prefer my K2 Mach 5 - I guess I am becoming addicted to biking. Like Janice, my knees are shot and biking has become what is looking to be my sole passion. Though you may see me snow-shoeing on off days.

Ologist
    My birth name is Todd. Been riding mtbs since 1993. I am down to only two bikes - a 2003 Ellsworth ID and a 2005 Kona Jake the Snake. I am looking to build a snow bike after some international travel this winter, and you will never catch me on a 29'er (I just don't get it - my bottom bracket is already high enough!). I don't wear lycra in public but I might wear pink arm warmers.

Favorite Trails: Lost Lake and Devils Pass, but I also love the amazingly scenic and atv-annihilated Permanente Road (it is a great early season workout!!)

Favorite winter trails: Eureka area - I have extensive maps (PM me)

Members who have read this thread: 0