Alaska Ride/Rental Advice Needed- Mtbr.com
    Bad Case of the Mondays

Alaska Ride/Rental Advice Needed

Coming to visit my brother-in-law who lives in Fairbanks in a week. We're staying in Fairbanks for a week or so then heading down to the Seward and Homer area for a couple of days.

The rest of my group is going to fish, but I want to ride. I read the trail reviews here on MTBR and Lost Lake looked good. Anyone have any advice on what trail that I should try to hit?

Also, I'm looking for a rental as well. Like to get a dual squish, but settle for a nice hardtail. Any opinions on where to get a good rental would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Joel

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub
    Coming to visit my brother-in-law who lives in Fairbanks in a week. We're staying in Fairbanks for a week or so then heading down to the Seward and Homer area for a couple of days.

The rest of my group is going to fish, but I want to ride. I read the trail reviews here on MTBR and Lost Lake looked good. Anyone have any advice on what trail that I should try to hit?

Also, I'm looking for a rental as well. Like to get a dual squish, but settle for a nice hardtail. Any opinions on where to get a good rental would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Joel

Anyone? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Jun 2003

no help.

There are no shops in the seward area, and if there are, they are not renting bikes. Good luck there.

In fairbanks, perhaps Beaver Sports, but I doubt they are renting also.

At the shop I am at in Anchorage, we rent Hardrock Sport MTB's, but that is it.

The only place to rent duallies is at Alyeska (ski resort) Fri, Sat, and Sunday, for the lift access DH runs.

If you want to, rent a bike from me as you pass through Anchorage on your way south.

I hope that I helped.

Ologist

bike shop in Seward

There is a kona dealer in Seward who rents stuff out of an old Railroad car. He has been there for a few years...I froget the name.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by Valhalla
    There is a kona dealer in Seward who rents stuff out of an old Railroad car. He has been there for a few years...I froget the name.
    This will get me started for sure. I've decided I'll just not make arrangements before hand and hope to figure it out once I arrive (tomorrow night woohoo!). I'd like to get in a ride if possible, but I'll be enjoying the trip regardless.

Thanks to both of you for your suggestions, they will be my first options when I try to get things setup.

WaveSailr, ****in-eh!!
    Jul 2004
    I live in Seward and am familiar with the Seward Bike Shop 907-224-2448. They rent mostly Kona's and have only a few bikes available. Make sure you have a reservation because if there is a cruise ship in town, you'll never get a bike. It's happened to me when my brother was visiting.

I just got back from a good day of downhilling at Alyeska. It's one of the local ski hills that offers chairlift rides for $29 on Fri, Sat and Sun from noon to 8pm. Actually, the hours are more flexible than that. I was there today and they don't open the lift until theres a bunch of people around that want to ride. They won't open it if theres not enough people. I was there with 5 people today. Sweet!

There's 2 downhill trails. Both are pretty short and really fun. One is a fast doubletrack and the other is a steep narrow downhill trail. No drops or really tough stuff but it's worth the $29 IMO.

Let me know when you get here and i can show you a couple rides in Seward. [email protected]