Alaska Randonneuring Season Kicks off 3/28/09 in Homer- Mtbr.com
    It's All About We!
    Dec 2005

Alaska Randonneuring Season Kicks off 3/28/09 in Homer

It just keeps getting better… We’ve expanded the original Alaska Brevet Series to include six more rides, for a total of ten, this year.

Come ride with us! Our rides vary between 100K to 600K. They’re on interesting routes, offer great scenery, and are very challenging. These are timed, non-competitive, totally self-supported (livin’ off the land) rides with control points every 30-50K on the course. They're great to use for distance training in preparation for the Fireweed or Soggy Bottom too.

We’re kicking off the season this year on March 28th with our inaugural Homer, “End-of-the-Road” 200K brevet, starting from Two Sisters Bakery at 8:00AM. Sweeping views of Kachemak Bay during the ride, and fine post-ride recovery options from Homer Brewing afterwards.

So, lube up your chain, and come check out some new roads with us.

March 28 Homer 200KM
    April 11 North Kenai Peninsula 200KM
    April 18 Matanuska Valley 200KM
    May 9 Anchorage/Palmer/Anchorage 300KM
    June 20 Gakona/Delta Junction/Tok/Gakona 600KM
    July 18 Denali Dirt Road Randonnee 300KM Invitational
    August 1 “PBP” (Potter-Birchwood-Potter) Populaire
    September? (When the leaves change color) Chugiak/Talkeetna/Chugiak 300KM

Please check our website for more details and our full calendar.
    http://alaskarandonneurs.blogspot.com/
    Kevin Turinsky
    RUSA RBA - Alaska
    www.rusa.org
    http://alaskarandonneurs.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'll be there

Pat will be there and I'll keep this forum posted on latest conditions.

Pat

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005

Current Conditions

https://www.hallobay.com/Web_Cam.htm
    https://www.planetargus.com/homer/mo...t/c2/timex.jpg

OK, so it's a little bit foggy today. I guess I'll go work on my bike, and check the webcams again tomorrow.

Kevin

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Pat, you ARE there

Quote Originally Posted by patirwin
    Pat will be there and I'll keep this forum posted on latest conditions.

Pat
    Hey Pat, you already are there. isn't 3 Sisters like across the street, er.. road from you?

Hope to see you there,

Ak29
    Singletrack Advocates Anchorage, Alaska
    Susitna 100 "Race Across Frozen Alaska"

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

I'm here

and hope to see a lot of you for the ride. It has some good climbs in it so be ready.

The best part is 2 Sisters Bakery is very close so I get to sleep in til the last minute. Ha ha ha ha ha ha........

Pat

Bikes are good

Road bikes?

Pogies? checkpoints with supplies? Supply our own checkpoints? I'm intrigued to ride this since I meant to ride the parts of the series last year and didn't. Plus, it's cool to think we can go ride this far so soon. Will seem lightning fast on a road bike compared to the pugs. People are riding road bikes right? Mountain bikes with studs?: :

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    A tip of the hat to Kevin for his inspired brevet schedule. I would also encourage anyone considering participating in one of the rides to spend time on the Randonneurs USA website (www.rusa.org). As RUSA's Alaska Administrator, Kevin has committed to abide by rules, policies and procedures established by RUSA and the international governing body, the ACP. I would hope that everyone will take the time to pay dues to RUSA, which is an amazing group of very cool people. I believe RUSA membership is a requirement of participating in the rides Kevin is working hard to organize.

I do not want to sound officious, but ACP has many traditions and a lesser number of rules and regulations about which they can be very picky. Be assured that no one is more anti-authoritarian than I am, but I would not want to see Kevin's efforts to keep Alaska connected to Paris-Brest-Paris and other incredible randonneuring events unravel because we are disrespectful of the few rules that are in place. Please familiarize yourself with the rules and the traditions of this incredible facet of cycling!

I have had the pleasure of riding brevets with 7 different clubs in 5 states. Every single one of them has been a delight...friendly people, spectacular courses and good, hard riding. What treat to ride in a pace-line where we're not trying to scratch each others' eyes out!

See you out there!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

road conditions

I'll do my best to keep this thread posted of the latest road conditions. Right now it's a stud ride, but with a month to go I think all will be ready for a good ride on dry pavement.

Right now lets cheer the McGrath/Nome racers for a safe passage over the pass and beyond, and ditto to Mike C. Have fun everybody!

Pat

It's All About We!
    Dec 2005

Homer 200K Ride Details

Wow, that's quite an endorsement. Thanks Jacques. Between you, Pat, and Derek, that's a lot of support for these rides!

It's a bit corny, but I like to say randonneuring is a big tent that accommodates all kinds of riders. The common thread being self-reliance and determination. And, there's an abundance of that here in Alaska.

Homer ride details, rules, regulations, RUSA membership, and all that important stuff may be found HERE.

We'll be watching for Pat's updates.

This should be one hell of a good ride!
    Kevin Turinsky
    RUSA RBA - Alaska
    www.rusa.org
    http://alaskarandonneurs.blogspot.com

Members who have read this thread: 0